First ride after ankle injury and another rim damage question...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Adam, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hi All,

    I posted a couple of months ago about putting a considerable dent in my Crossride rear rim; the
    general consensus seemed to be that it wasn't worth taking the risk, and that the wheels were cr&p
    anyway, so I decided to retire them to commuting and order some new components to build a new set.

    On my last ride out on the old kit I stuffed my ankle - silly little incident that on any other day
    I would have stepped away from; this time I sort of caught my toe and my left foot folded underneath
    me with a loud pop (audible to Polly riding 10m behind me). Result: ruptured anterio-lateral
    ligaments in left ankle. Luckily, not as bad as it at first seemed, and healing has been fast...

    So I spent six weeks sitting around wondering what to do with myself. Built the new wheels - went
    with the suggestions and put 36h x618s onto Hope monos - but that only served to fuel my
    frustration. Put skinny road tyres on the crossrides and started commuting to work about two weeks
    ago. Lots of mobilisation exercises (used to play lots of rugby, and my right ankle has had several
    similar injuries, so I know the drill) followed by lots more mobilisation exercises.

    Finally, last night, went for my first proper cross-country ride in the Pentlands. Everything works,
    bike feels happy to be off tarmac again, views are wonderful and I feel fantastic (and very unfit).
    Coming down the last descent, I hop over a drainage kerb at speed and, in my tiredness, fail to get
    the back wheel over the lip and hit it pretty hard. It's not nearly as hard as the impact that
    killed my last rear wheel, so I don't even think about it.

    I get back to the car and what do I find - my rim is dented again! Not as badly this time, but there
    is about a 1-2mm (at the peak) inward dent (that covers maybe 30mm of the circumference) on the
    hubward surface of the rim, a big inward dent on the bead lip and the braking surface has bulged
    outwards a little. Have I killed this rim too?

    Personally, I think it'll be OK once I straighten out the bead lip, but I'd like to hear others'
    opinions...

    Cheers - Adam...

    PS: Crossride wheels, roundly slagged by everyone with an opinion, took two years of abuse with one
    truing and cost £22 for a replacement rim (in stock). X618s cost £36, were out of stock and took
    3 days to arrive, lasted one ride, succumbed to similar damage in similar impact.

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Adam wrote:

    > PS: Crossride wheels, roundly slagged by everyone with an opinion, took two years of abuse with
    > one truing and cost £22 for a replacement rim (in stock). X618s cost £36, were out of stock
    > and took 3 days to arrive, lasted one ride, succumbed to similar damage in similar impact.

    Bad workman / tools. If you dent the rims in this manner it is your own fault. Yes, 618's are
    strong, but they're not indestructible and no rim is designed to take impact. Cracking a rim on the
    edge of a curb, at speed, with too little air in the tyre will damage any rim.

    If you're using discs, straightening out the lip of the rim should be ok.

  3. "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,

    Hey Adam,

    > On my last ride out on the old kit I stuffed my ankle - silly little incident that on any other
    > day I would have stepped away from; this time I sort of caught my toe and my left foot folded
    > underneath me with a loud pop (audible to Polly riding 10m behind me). Result: ruptured
    > anterio-lateral ligaments in left ankle. Luckily, not as bad as it at first seemed, and healing
    > has been fast...

    Bummer..

    > So I spent six weeks sitting around wondering what to do with myself. Built the new wheels - went
    > with the suggestions and put 36h x618s onto Hope monos - but that only served to fuel my
    > frustration. Put skinny road tyres on the crossrides and started commuting to work about two weeks
    > ago. Lots of mobilisation exercises (used to play lots of rugby, and my right ankle has had
    > several similar injuries, so I know the drill) followed by lots more mobilisation exercises.

    Sounds familiar, I'm just recovering from a broken meta-tarsal, been in plaster for 6 weeks.

    > Finally, last night, went for my first proper cross-country ride in the Pentlands. Everything
    > works, bike feels happy to be off tarmac again, views are wonderful and I feel fantastic (and very
    > unfit). Coming down the last descent, I hop over a drainage kerb at speed and, in my tiredness,
    > fail to get the back wheel over the lip and hit it pretty hard. It's not nearly as hard as the
    > impact that killed my last rear wheel, so I don't even think about it.
    >
    > I get back to the car and what do I find - my rim is dented again! Not as badly this time, but
    > there is about a 1-2mm (at the peak) inward dent (that covers maybe 30mm of the circumference) on
    > the hubward surface of the rim, a big inward dent on the bead lip and the braking surface has
    > bulged outwards a little. Have I killed this rim too?

    Probably not. If you're running disc brakes then you shouldn't have to do too much to bend the rim
    back into shape. With rim brakes you'll have to spend a bit more time getting it right.

    > Personally, I think it'll be OK once I straighten out the bead lip, but I'd like to hear others'
    > opinions...

    Oops, see above.

    > Cheers - Adam...
    >
    > PS: Crossride wheels, roundly slagged by everyone with an opinion, took two years of abuse with
    > one truing and cost £22 for a replacement rim (in stock). X618s cost £36, were out of stock
    > and took 3 days to arrive, lasted one ride, succumbed to similar damage in similar impact.

    IMHO Most peoples opinions are next to worthless, everybodies condions vary.

    Steve.

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Adam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I posted a couple of months ago about putting a considerable dent in my Crossride rear rim; the
    > general consensus seemed to be that it wasn't worth taking the risk, and that the wheels were cr&p
    > anyway, so I decided to retire them to commuting and order some new components to build a new set.
    >
    > On my last ride out on the old kit I stuffed my ankle - silly little incident that on any other
    > day I would have stepped away from; this time I sort of caught my toe and my left foot folded
    > underneath me with a loud pop (audible to Polly riding 10m behind me). Result: ruptured
    > anterio-lateral ligaments in left ankle. Luckily, not as bad as it at first seemed, and healing
    > has been fast...
    >
    > So I spent six weeks sitting around wondering what to do with myself. Built the new wheels - went
    > with the suggestions and put 36h x618s onto Hope monos - but that only served to fuel my
    > frustration. Put skinny road tyres on the crossrides and started commuting to work about two weeks
    > ago. Lots of mobilisation exercises (used to play lots of rugby, and my right ankle has had
    > several similar injuries, so I know the drill) followed by lots more mobilisation exercises.
    >
    > Finally, last night, went for my first proper cross-country ride in the Pentlands. Everything
    > works, bike feels happy to be off tarmac again, views are wonderful and I feel fantastic (and very
    > unfit). Coming down the last descent, I hop over a drainage kerb at speed and, in my tiredness,
    > fail to get the back wheel over the lip and hit it pretty hard. It's not nearly as hard as the
    > impact that killed my last rear wheel, so I don't even think about it.
    >
    > I get back to the car and what do I find - my rim is dented again! Not as badly this time, but
    > there is about a 1-2mm (at the peak) inward dent (that covers maybe 30mm of the circumference) on
    > the hubward surface of the rim, a big inward dent on the bead lip and the braking surface has
    > bulged outwards a little. Have I killed this rim too?
    >
    > Personally, I think it'll be OK once I straighten out the bead lip, but I'd like to hear others'
    > opinions...
    >
    > Cheers - Adam...
    >
    > PS: Crossride wheels, roundly slagged by everyone with an opinion, took two years of abuse with
    > one truing and cost £22 for a replacement rim (in stock). X618s cost £36, were out of stock
    > and took 3 days to arrive, lasted one ride, succumbed to similar damage in similar impact.

    You should be able to tweak the bead back into line using an adjustable spanner (wrench) - I've done
    this myself successfully, and I was running V's on the wheel in question.

    Those impacts are gonna cause damage to any rim - I suggest either running higher tyre pressures or
    being more careful!

    Shaun aRe

  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Adam wrote:
    >
    > > PS: Crossride wheels, roundly slagged by everyone with an opinion, took two years of abuse with
    > > one truing and cost £22 for a replacement rim (in stock). X618s cost £36, were out of stock
    > > and took 3 days to arrive, lasted one ride, succumbed to similar damage in similar impact.
    >
    > Bad workman / tools. If you dent the rims in this manner it is your own fault. Yes, 618's are
    > strong, but they're not indestructible and no rim is designed to take impact. Cracking a rim on
    > the edge of a curb, at speed, with too little air in the tyre will damage any rim.
    >
    > If you're using discs, straightening out the lip of the rim should be ok.

    Hi bomba,

    'Bad workman': yeah, yeah, I know. The last bit was a little tongue-in-cheek dig at those who bagged
    the crossrides for (apparently) no better reason than that they were once trendy. I appreciate that
    clumsy clydesdales (like me) are going to trash rims occasionally, and sometimes that will be after
    just one ride.

    The rim was still pretty much true laterally, it just had a vertical dent. I have straightened out
    the bead lip and braking surface (running Magura HS33s) and it seems fine now - although I'm a
    little worried about a sudden failure. Maybe I'll do for a free-ride or downhill rim for the back
    next time...

    Cheers for the advice - Adam...

  6. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    -8<- snip ->8-

    > > So I spent six weeks sitting around wondering what to do with myself. Built the new wheels -
    > > went with the suggestions and put 36h x618s onto Hope monos - but that only served to fuel my
    > > frustration. Put skinny road tyres on the crossrides and started commuting to work about two
    > > weeks ago. Lots of mobilisation exercises (used to play lots of rugby, and my right ankle has
    > > had several similar injuries, so I know the drill) followed by lots more mobilisation exercises.
    >
    > Sounds familiar, I'm just recovering from a broken meta-tarsal, been in plaster for 6 weeks.

    It does seem be the season for it...

    -8<- more snippage ->8-
    > > braking surface has bulged outwards a little. Have I killed this rim too?
    >
    > Probably not. If you're running disc brakes then you shouldn't have to do too much to bend the rim
    > back into shape. With rim brakes you'll have to spend a bit more time getting it right.

    As I said to bomba, it was still almost perfectly in (lateral) true, and only needed minor tweaks
    caused by the one spoke which was much looser.

    -8<- snip again ->8-

    Cheers - Adam...

  7. Adam

    Adam Guest

    > Adam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    -8<- snip ->8-
    > You should be able to tweak the bead back into line using an adjustable spanner (wrench) - I've
    > done this myself successfully, and I was running V's on the wheel in question.

    Thanks - have done just that.

    > Those impacts are gonna cause damage to any rim - I suggest either running higher tyre pressures
    > or being more careful!

    Higher tyre pressure probably would have helped, although I didn't even pinch-flat the tube! It was
    still a pretty decent pressure (I'd estimate around 3bar), but I normally run them pretty hard
    (pie-eater wieght category and all)...

    Cheers - Adam...

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Adam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Adam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > -8<- snip ->8-
    > > You should be able to tweak the bead back into line using an adjustable spanner (wrench) - I've
    > > done this myself successfully, and I was running
    V's
    > > on the wheel in question.
    >
    > Thanks - have done just that.

    Cool - glad it worked.

    > > Those impacts are gonna cause damage to any rim - I suggest either
    running
    > > higher tyre pressures or being more careful!
    >
    > Higher tyre pressure probably would have helped, although I didn't even pinch-flat the tube! It
    > was still a pretty decent pressure (I'd estimate around 3bar), but I normally run them pretty hard
    > (pie-eater wieght category and all)...

    What's 3 bar in PSI, about 45-50? Not too low really...........

    I run mine _way_ low for off road, 18 psi or less (ran 12 a few times, and on _very_ rocky descents,
    no pinch flats, no dinged rims. Mind you, I weigh in at *155lb and the tyres are Nokian Gazzaloddi
    2.6's, mounted on D521's (can't beat overkill.........heheheheheh..........).

    Shaun aRe - *I eat plenty of pies though..........

  9. Adam

    Adam Guest

    > Adam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    -8<- snip, snip ->8-

    > What's 3 bar in PSI, about 45-50? Not too low really...........

    40-45 - should still have been OK. As I said, didn't even pinch the tube, so I must have given it a
    fair whack...

    > I run mine _way_ low for off road, 18 psi or less (ran 12 a few times, and on _very_ rocky
    > descents, no pinch flats, no dinged rims. Mind you, I weigh in at *155lb and the tyres are Nokian
    > Gazzaloddi 2.6's, mounted on D521's (can't beat overkill.........heheheheheh..........).

    Thanks for the help Shaun. I think the tyre pressure was OK and it's just a question of being less
    of a bumbling, clumsy f&ckwit. I'm going to start looking for gene therapy for that condition on the
    web right now...

    I've ridden the wheel again now, and it seems OK - can't notice the dent, probably because it's less
    than the variation in the tyre. Will consider a downhill rim for the rear, though.

    Cheers - Adam...

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Adam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Adam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > -8<- snip, snip ->8-
    >
    > > What's 3 bar in PSI, about 45-50? Not too low really...........
    >
    > 40-45 - should still have been OK. As I said, didn't even pinch the tube, so I must have given it
    > a fair whack...

    Not far wrong then...

    > > I run mine _way_ low for off road, 18 psi or less (ran 12 a few times,
    and
    > > on _very_ rocky descents, no pinch flats, no dinged rims. Mind you, I
    weigh
    > > in at *155lb and the tyres are Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6's, mounted on
    D521's
    > > (can't beat overkill.........heheheheheh..........).
    > >

    > Thanks for the help Shaun. I think the tyre pressure was OK and it's just a question of being less
    > of a bumbling, clumsy f&ckwit. I'm going to start looking for gene therapy for that condition on
    > the web right now...

    Hey, reason I built the bike the way I did is because I'm far from smooth - I was always breaking
    stuff, and especially rear wheels. - I regularly managed to either crush the rim in, or taco it
    (fronts as well but less often). That's with comparitively high pressures too.

    > I've ridden the wheel again now, and it seems OK - can't notice the dent, probably because it's
    > less than the variation in the tyre.

    Cool.

    > Will consider a downhill rim for the rear, though.

    And why not eh? People who worry about weight too much end up with weak legs, IMNSHO, heheheheh....

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe -

  11. Adam

    Adam Guest

    > Adam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    -8<- snip ->8-
    > > Will consider a downhill rim for the rear, though.
    >
    > And why not eh? People who worry about weight too much end up with weak legs, IMNSHO,
    > heheheheh....

    Mavic D521? Any other (rim brake compatible) recommendations?

    Cheers - Adam...

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Adam) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip sad tale>

    A hack is a hack. You will never be fast until you are smooth. When you become smooth, you will be
    fast and will not trash wheels so readily. A hackwill even kill a DH wheelset in an XC setting.

    JD

  13. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    day. Ankle injury keept me out of the woods last year from July till Oct. Now this years its a
    broken collar bone 3X (snapped). I'll also take any season other then Summer. Fall,Winter and Spring
    injury free and I ride all year.

    Fire up MTB 03

  14. Adam

    Adam Guest

    > [email protected] (Adam) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... <snip sad tale>
    >
    > A hack is a hack. You will never be fast until you are smooth. When you become smooth, you will be
    > fast and will not trash wheels so readily. A hackwill even kill a DH wheelset in an XC setting.

    No shit, Sherlock...

    I've been working on that for eight years, still am, will continue to do so.

    Adam...