First ride ever on my SS

Caden

Jun 30, 2006
I wanted a bike more like my road bike than a mountain or dorky hybrid for my commuting and ended up falling for a Bianchi San Jose, which is a single-speed w/ flip flop hub. I put a rear rack and front fender on and went for my first ride on my 8 mile somewhat hilly commute ride in *freewheel* mode, not fixed. My thoughts, FWIW:

I panicked and wondered if I'd made a horrible mistake the first time I hit a significant hill (for those here in Austin - the Shoal Creek hill from 38th street to the North) and had to grind up it out of the saddle the entire way. Right now my quads are literally twitching. I need to get stronger!!

I almost ate pavement when trying to do a slow turn when my toeclip/cage thingie this bike came with ran into the fender I installed on the front wheel (might have happened even without the fender, I guess). Am I gonna have to ride without a fender? In the rain? What do most folks do?

On the positive side, I was able to blow past a couple roadies on the flats and I do enjoy the speed I get out of this thing over the heavy hybrid I was riding!

Caden said:
I wanted a bike more like my road bike than a mountain or dorky hybrid for my commuting and ended up falling for a Bianchi San Jose, which is a single-speed w/ flip flop hub. I put a rear rack and front fender on and went for my first ride on my 8 mile somewhat hilly commute ride in *freewheel* mode, not fixed. My thoughts, FWIW:

I panicked and wondered if I'd made a horrible mistake the first time I hit a significant hill (for those here in Austin - the Shoal Creek hill from 38th street to the North) and had to grind up it out of the saddle the entire way. Right now my quads are literally twitching. I need to get stronger!!

I almost ate pavement when trying to do a slow turn when my toeclip/cage thingie this bike came with ran into the fender I installed on the front wheel (might have happened even without the fender, I guess). Am I gonna have to ride without a fender? In the rain? What do most folks do?

On the positive side, I was able to blow past a couple roadies on the flats and I do enjoy the speed I get out of this thing over the heavy hybrid I was riding!
Nope. You didn't make a mistake. Uphills will kill you at first! They get easier each time though.

Toe clearance can be particularly tight (or non-existent) on track-type frames. My toes touch my wheel even without fenders (mudguards). The secret is only to travel very fast, so you can lean the bike and not make sharp turns! :)

Now do it as a Fixie. :D
Caden said: