First ride impressions on a Quetzal

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dr. Phil, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. Dr. Phil

    Dr. Phil Guest

    Today I took my first ride on my brand new Quetzal semi recumbent bike. Before I give my impressions
    I just want to say I own a Vision R40 recumbent bike so I know what the difference is between semi
    and recumbent.

    Impression: Very stable and allot of fun to ride. The seat is quite comfortable. Quick due to
    the 24" rear wheel and getting up to speed is no problem. Overall a great city commuter for not
    allot of money.

    I bought the Quetzal because I found that city communting for my YMMV was difficult on the Vision
    due to it's low speed twitchyness. I really enjoy riding my Vision on long rides and would be more
    comfortable than the Quetzal.

    The frame on the Quetzal is a steel frame with good but not stellar components but then again your
    not paying $2000.00. I would highly recommend the Quetzal to anyone looking for an excellent daily
    commuter bike without dishing out allot of money.

    To see a picture of the bike I'm talking about see: http://www.quetzal.ca/

    Happy benting

    Tags:

  2. I am going to wait till the Aluminium Frame model appears b4 getting in2 carrying them. The
    Aluminium version is rumored for the Spring of 2004 and (maybe) better components too. Quetzal is
    waiting to see how the Aluminium EZs sell...but I know they are really thinking hard on doing a
    better Azetca next year. Hopefully they won't decide to use one of their Air Filled Cobra seats, but
    a Hardshell with a good back/lumbar support would really help the Azetca. I offered to carry them
    last year (on condition) that I use a Hardshell and they told me to get stuffed. My LBS has NOT sold
    a single Azteca for 8 months...main complaint being the DF style seat/backrest and wheel flop a
    close 2nd. I think KHS has a better chance of getting the kids off their BMXs and into Semi-Bents.
    KHS is well known/respected for their Xtreme bikes and for KHS to do a semi-bent is news.
    Quetzal/Vision are still pretty obscure for the Xtreme cycle set.
    "Dr. Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I took my first ride on my brand new Quetzal semi recumbent bike. Before I give my
    > impressions I just want to say I own a Vision R40
    recumbent
    > bike so I know what the difference is between semi and recumbent.
    >
    > Impression: Very stable and allot of fun to ride. The seat is quite comfortable. Quick due to the
    > 24" rear wheel and getting up to speed is
    no
    > problem. Overall a great city commuter for not allot of money.
    >
    > I bought the Quetzal because I found that city communting for my YMMV was difficult on the Vision
    > due to it's low speed twitchyness. I really enjoy riding my Vision on long rides and would be more
    > comfortable than the Quetzal.
    >
    > The frame on the Quetzal is a steel frame with good but not stellar components but then again your
    > not paying $2000.00. I would highly recommend the Quetzal to anyone looking for an excellent daily
    > commuter
    bike
    > without dishing out allot of money.
    >
    > To see a picture of the bike I'm talking about see: http://www.quetzal.ca/
    >
    > Happy benting

  3. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    "Dr. Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Today I took my first ride on my brand new Quetzal semi recumbent bike. Before I give my
    > impressions I just want to say I own a Vision R40 recumbent bike so I know what the difference is
    > between semi and recumbent.
    >
    > Impression: Very stable and allot of fun to ride. The seat is quite comfortable. Quick due to the
    > 24" rear wheel and getting up to speed is no problem. Overall a great city commuter for not allot
    > of money.
    >
    > I bought the Quetzal because I found that city communting for my YMMV was difficult on the Vision
    > due to it's low speed twitchyness. I really enjoy riding my Vision on long rides and would be more
    > comfortable than the Quetzal.
    >
    > The frame on the Quetzal is a steel frame with good but not stellar components but then again your
    > not paying $2000.00. I would highly recommend the Quetzal to anyone looking for an excellent daily
    > commuter bike without dishing out allot of money.
    >
    > To see a picture of the bike I'm talking about see: http://www.quetzal.ca/
    >
    > Happy benting

    I tested one last November at a well known bike shop in my area. I liked it though I was on it for
    less than 10 minutes so I don't know what it would feel like after 5-10 miles. I found it very
    stable like you did and agree that for commuting or just plain recreational riding...it would fit
    the bill very nicely for many folks.

    IMHO however, I would not pay a dime over $399.00 (USD) for this bike. The shop had the one I was
    riding priced at $495.00 and to be quite honest, I would get something like an EZ-1 SC or the new
    Cycle Genuis CGX 3.0 which is expected to sell somewhere in the mid $400 range. I have seen the
    Quetzal priced somewhere between $329.00 and $399.00 on the net and consider it reasonable in
    this range.

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  4. Dr. Phil

    Dr. Phil Guest

    Oh I agree not more than about $300. In fact I've seen them at this price. There is someone on Ebay
    selling new for $299. They are in California.