First ride, new bike, Schwinn Avenue.

BHOFM

Aug 8, 2010
Short ride, it is 44`f.

2.5 miles, average speed, 17.7mph, max. speed, 27.3mph. Shifts are flawless, ride is great.
Handle bars a bit too high and a bit too close. Brakes a little noisy, just new I think.
All up weight with bags, water bottles(2), pump, lights, horn, 30lbs.

Can't wait for a warm day to ride!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

[COLOR= #0000ff]Congratulations, it's a bike, lol![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]If the handlebars are a bit high and a bit close, what do you do about that? I can imagine raising the bars if the stem is adjustable, but how do you move them farther away?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Either way, enjoy!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

Frame stretcher??

The stem is adjustable for height and distance.

I moved my Zefal gel seat from the old bike and replaced the
grips with the soft Oury's. Much easier on the hands.

Once you start riding any distance at all, you figure out what
works and what don't!

I got mirrors for this bike as I have to ride in traffic a couple places
to get from one trail to another.

[COLOR= #0000ff]You're teasing me, right? Since it's metal, I'm assuming there's no such thing, lol. But I've been wrong before, way too many times. (Feeling very blond, here). /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif[/COLOR]

The frame stretchers are right next to the elbow grease and Flux capacitors.

[COLOR= #0000ff]ROFLOL! Thanks for the chuckle. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR]

Reset the handle bars and stem. Brakes are getting quieter.

Second ride, 17 miles in just over an hour. Max speed just over 30mph.

[COLOR= #0000ff]To quote my adorable sister, who says this to me when I report my biking progress:[/COLOR]

[SIZE= 36px][COLOR= #0000ff]Ride, Forrest. Ride!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks for all your replies Slim. Most around here don't give a hoot unless you ride a $$$$$$$$$ bike.
I ride "department store bikes" by choice. The lack for replies on this thread shows my point!

I am going to look for a forum that has more support for the everyday riders

Take care and good luck and keep riding..

Yours truly

Brad, the [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]B[/COLOR]ald [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]H[/COLOR]eaded [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]O[/COLOR]ld [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]F[/COLOR]at [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]M[/COLOR]an!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Awwww, Brad,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]We'll miss you![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I don't think the lack of replies has too much to do with what bike you're riding. I think people are just really busy with their everyday lives. I started out here talking about buying a $500 bike, which I've learned is really cheap, and got lots of replies... and now that I'm asking for help with $1,000 bikes, I don't seem to be getting nearly as many responses. So I don't know what the deal is.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]But I will miss your posts if you go. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Ride happy![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

Thanks for all your replies Slim. Most around here don't give a hoot unless you ride a $$$$$$$$$ bike.
I ride "department store bikes" by choice. The lack for replies on this thread shows my point!

I am going to look for a forum that has more support for the everyday riders

Take care and good luck and keep riding..

Yours truly

Brad, the [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]B[/COLOR]ald [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]H[/COLOR]eaded [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]O[/COLOR]ld [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]F[/COLOR]at [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]M[/COLOR]an!

Brad,
You have many people around here that truly enjoy your post. I for one open all that I come across and respond when I have something I can share. Hang in there we need you around here. When I was young I used to dream of owning a fancy high end bike. Today I own a fancy middle of the road overpriced bike and dream of owning the bike of my youth. You are living the dream in my book.
Yours truly
Dave, the bald headed middle aged guy from new england

It's about the bike and not about the bike. More than likely very few have any experience with the bike to comment on it. But it's certainly not about what the bike cost (...for most - there's always someone for whom money is the measure of everything).

Tangentially cost is an issue because new technology is generally more expensive to produce. People are interested in what they don't know and therefore often end up talking about expensive (new/unfamiliar) things. There's a lot to be learned about older technology, but in general if it fulfilled a general need it is now "common" and if it didn't there's a small but enthusiastic group of collectors somewhere who value its "uniqueness". Can't speak for everyone, but it would make no difference to me if you paid $10k for your ride or $10.

As you work your way through your entry into cycling (as am I), you learn from personal experience what those before already know. Some like to continually share and some have commented on entry-level issues for the umpteen-millionth time and aren't inclined to post again. Along that line, you now have experiences to pass on to those who's first days are few or yet to come. Why bail out on them?

Stick around Brad!

I haven't been able to post for several days because I had to reload the factory software on my PC and then download about 800 meg of anti-virus software and windows updates. I just use a plain old telephone line and modem for internet access, so 800 meg takes several days to download. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Anyway, congrats on your new bike! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif