First Ride Of The Year

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Baston, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Baston

Baston New Member

I pumped out a cheeky 25 mile ride today, its the first time I've had an oppertunity to ride this year outside. After only deciding at the end of last year to get more serious about cycling this was my first real longish distance ride on my touring bike.

At the end of my ride I thought to myself, what things were holding me back? One of those things i decided was the fact that the bottom of my back in the middle was begining to ache. Secondly, (and i appologise in advance for bringing this up) my nose was getting very runny :p.

Are there anyways i can stop these two problems? (I'm guessing the second one may be because it's still a bit cold and i had a really strong wind in my face the whole ride).

Thanks

Tags:

2. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

Baston, check this out: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524083
    I alway come back from a ride with a runny nose, especially on a windy day (which, down here in Florida, is every day).

3. OldGoat

OldGoat New Member

Re the runny nose thing, that's what the terry cloth piece on the thumb of your gloves is there for.....

Re distance, it's perhaps best not to overdo on the first few rides of the season. I speak from recent experience, as I started last week (now that the snow is just about gone) with 28 miles of hills on Wed, 44 miles of flat on Thurs, and an abbreviated 20 miles of hills (28-30 planned) on Friday, a day on which I metaphorically crashed and burned. Tremendous struggle. Totally dehydrated and enervated with noticeably weak legs. Too much, too soon. Came home famished, raided the fridge, and actually ate ice cream for the first time in a month or more (last time was with my #3 son's b-day cake); concluded that my body was sending me a message. Have taken the weekend off, but plan to get out there again tomorrow (Monday) at a more moderate mileage & pace. Bad news is, over the weekend, I regained the 3 lbs. I was down on Friday morning--:eek:!
    ~ OldGoat

4. Baston

Baston New Member

thanks for the replies. i dont plan to do too much too fast, i woke up this morning feeling fresh could probably do it again today but im just going to bike round my friends house then maybe go out cycling round the local town area. ill probably end up just integrating a few long distance cycle rides into my usual training plan