First Ride Questions

Sn4fu

May 7, 2006
I bought a specialized allez sport today and went on my first ride in nearly 15 years. Half an hour later, I was home again. I fully expected the burning lungs and legs, that's one of the reasons I decided to ride again. However, I am wondering if I've purchased the wrong size bike. I'm 6'1 190lbs, and I bought a 58. In the shop, the handlebars and forks lined up fine when I tested it, but while riding the forks were way behind the bars visually. Does this mean the bike is too small for me after all? I also had a lot of tension and pain between the shoulderblades. Is the simply being out of shape back there or is it a problem with the bike or my position. I'm taking the bike in tomorrow as something was way out of whack with the front deraileur. I couldn't get it onto the largest sprocket at all, and twice the whole dang chain came off when switching to the smallest. So the bike will be going in tomorrow anyway, should I ask for a different size? They sized me to the 58, but I wonder how many of the questions they asked me I answered wrong.

I think that if I'm understanding you correctly, the bike would actually be too big (the fork is behind the bars?). Either way, if your LBS sized you to a 58, I would go with a 58. I myself am 6'2" or 6'3", depending on who's measuring and how I'm being measured. I also just recently picked up a bike and they sized me to a 58 also. That was on a Trek with traditional geometry though...I'm not sure if the Allez (is it pronounced alleigh? allay?) is a compact geometry or not, that could throw things off some.

All in all, I'd trust the local bike shop. If you're 6'1", and a normal torso/leg length (not like 5 feet of legs and 13 inches of upper body), then a 58 sounds like a reasonable fit.

To everyone else on this forum, correct me if I'm wrong, which is quite possible.

When you are in the drops, the top of the handlebar should line up with the front wheel axel ie. blocks the view of the front axel.

Note that as you ride more, your riding position will change. Starting out, you will be more comfortable in a more upright position. As you log the miles, you will flatten out requiring some equipment adjustments.

Hope this helps.

Tell the bike shop what is hurting, how bad it hurts and what you are doing with the pain is at its peak. They should be able to make the proper adjustments. If may take you a handfull of rides to get your bike tuned in. Good luck!