First "Road" bike And a few questions.

Zobius

Jun 4, 2014
Hey everyone. I recently purchased a 2013 Raleigh Revenio 1.0. I am a frequent cyclist who lives in an urban area. This winter (N.Y) was terrible and our roads are covered with cracks, potholes, as well as broken asphalt. I just got the bike and I have a flat. I'm quite sure the reason is because of a pot hole, because my normal bike (Raleigh Detour 2.5) has a bit wider rim, and an (Obviously) bigger tire. Oddly enough I never once have gotten a flat on my Detour, and the wheels are already showing green (due to the 3k miles on the bike). So here is my question. Should I get used to replacing tubes on the Revenio 1.0? Is there some sort of way to prevent pinching tubes from potholes? I ride at night as well and the headlight isn't nearly bright enough to illuminate the road ahead. Any advice from someone experienced with narrow tired bikes would be appreciated. - Zobius

Tell me about it...Ohio roads are in pathetic condition this Spring too.

With more narrow and lighter weight tires/rims comes more careful observation of what you are riding over and more avoidance of the **** they call roads these days. Yes, the narrow tires are more prone to damage and punctures than heavier walled, thicker tread touring or commuting tires...as a generality.

Condition yourself to looking ahead and focusing on the road and it will become automatic. Get used to picking yourself out of the saddle using your shifted weight to help protect the tires and wheels from road impacts. Don't just sit there and become unsprung mass for the bike to absorb as it impacts holes and cracks and those dangerous fist-sized chunks of asphalt that cars have kicked out of the pot holes.

That said, you can purchase skinny training tires that are more heavily constructed and offer better cut resistance. Continental Gatorskins seem to be popular in this respect.

Pinch flats from holes? Watch your inflation pressure and where you are riding. Since you are doing night riding, investing in better lighting would be the only advice I could offer. Better lighting all around will not only help you keep air inside your tires, it will also help you to be seen on the road by motorists.

The current rage of cramming 25 MM tires onto your rims might help a little if they will fit into your frame (yours come with 23 MM Zaffiro's?). Personally, a 2 MM change is a bit underwhelming IMO, but it 'might' give you a little more cushion against those nasty pot holes.

I'm sure other responders will offer some good advice. We're all on awful roads this season!

Cheap tubes and lot's of them might be a good idea. Dont bother with these fancy low-rolling resistance nice stuff...
big-smile.png

Patch kits too.
big-smile.png

I have the same problem. I just got a pair of Conti 4000S's and was using them for about 3 months with no flats.

Then I went for a night ride in the city. First ride, 2 flats, front and rear. About 20 euro total including tubes, CO2 catridge and taxi ride. Probably some loose stones from some roadworks that were going on, which I went over at 40km/h in the night. At least I didn't crash and there were no cuts in the tires.

Now I have only to worry about the sidewalls getting damaged from the fantastic stuff I push on the side when dodging babies in bikes in the cycle path.

(WHY DONT THEY GET THEM A TOY CAR AND LET THEM IN THE %^%$% HIGHWAY TOO??? OR ARE THEY TRYING TO "MAKE IT LOOK LIKE AN ACCIDENT?"
confused.png
)

Anyway, heavier, stronger tires might be a good idea, or you maybe just using some nice ones to a nicer road.

You could also maybe spray some "slime" in the tubes, which apparently makes them deflate slower. Probably makes them heavier too.

WHY CANT WE USE A NICE RIDE MR, MAYOR??? WHY DO WE HAVE TO RIDE CHEAP NASTY STUFF??? WHY CANT WE RIDE A FERRARI? A PORSCHE TURBO AT LEAST? ^%&^%^, I THINK I WANT A MERCEDES SLR ACTUALLY!

Thank you for the advice. Cycling in the States is so much more difficult than the rest of the world it seems. Our cycle lanes aren't even properly positioned, and the street cleaners don't even bother sweeping the debris off it either.

At least you have cycling lanes.

Here cycling lanes, except from the ones that are on the side of the street, where the dustmen leave the trashcans after emptying and you cant use anyway, are often seen as a "playground" hence the babies.

I hear that alot in this forum that the cycling infastructure is bad in America, I also hear it here. I bet they probably say the same in Holland or Copenhagen sometimes...
big-smile.png

But really, debris is one thing. Dodging babies in toy bikes, running away from stray dogs in the morning, having trucks getting past you at 100+km/h and cause wind turbulence, is another.

I think your major problem there is the motorists but I bet that the traffic is much less random then here.

Anyway back to the threads question:

It's probably best to avoid anything that could damage the tires. Not just to avoid the flats but also to get more km's out of the tires.

If you have a specific condition that causes alot of flats, for example plant thorns, or small sharp stones etc, then maybe you could consider:

1. Tires with lots of flat protection. These could be "Cyclocross", "Training", "Endurance", "Winter", "Touring" etc.

2. Tubes injected with "slime". You can also get some tubes that are allready lined with "slime". Havent used them but they say that they are good. The allready lined ones are a bit expensive though. But the LBS can inject your tubes with "slime" (also called "glue" here) for 1 euro for both tubes. So if that doesnt work then cheap tubes and patch kits...

Also you could not use CO2 catridges which are about 2euro a pop and sometimes blow the just installed new tube on a botch side of the road repair, but get a small pump and inflate the tires enough just to get back home. You could probably get at least 100psi from a small handheld pump, after 20min of pumping...
big-smile.png

Also it's a good idea everytime you wash the bike, to inspect the tires and remove any embedded chips of glass and stone.

Good luck!
smile.png

Street cleaners? What is this concept. Michigan is so cheap, the junk stays around forever, unless some group of people sentenced to community service comes along and does it. I just think of the dead raccoons as furry little speed bumps.:wink:

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy

Street cleaners? What is this concept. Michigan is so cheap, the junk stays around forever, unless some group of people sentenced to community service comes along and does it.

Naaasty!
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Look man you don't need to stock up on tubes! The bike came with 700x23c tires thus 700x25c tires should fit but check with your LBS first to make sure, I know they'll fit the rim but I'm not sure if they'll fit the bike, in a lot of cases a 25c may fit in the rear but not the front, which is OK! Simply use a 25 on the rear and a 23 on the front because most of your weight is on the rear and you can prevent your kind of blowouts by doing this.

Assuming you stay with 23c tires, your problem was more than likely due to low psi in the tires for your weight, see this calculator about what is the proper psi to use; http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html Use the 2nd (middle) calculator and figure in your fully clothed body weight PLUS your fully prepared ready to ride bike weight, change the F/R weight to 45/55 and then change your tire size for both front and rear to cordinate with your tires size.

Tire wise, there are a lot of good tires on the market that will be better than the Conti Gatorskins while being the same or less expensive to purchase. Panaracer makes a great tire called the T-Serv PT or the Ribmo PT both used by many New York City messengers who ride rough streets, as are Soma New Xpress tires, or Specialized Armadillo All Condition tires probably the most bullet proof tire you can get in a 23 or 25, Maxxis Re-Fuse, Schwalbe Stelvio Plus (but expensive), and Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech III but this tire is probably the least durable of all I mentioned but better than most including Conti. All these tires have robust tread as well as robust sidewalls which hold up better when they hit potholes.

Slime won't help you the least bit for your situation. First off in regards to penetration flats Slime won't stop a leak above 75psi, the higher pressure simply blows the Slime out of the hole and you're back where you started - with a flat. Secondly Slime will not prevent a tire from blowing due to an impact with a pothole. There is a product called the Panaracer Flataway liner that does help to prevent tube damage from impacts with potholes and they will stop almost any object from penetrating to the tube, but if you get a good tough tire like the ones mentioned in the above paragraph you shouldn't need any liner.

You may also want to try a heavier weighted tube, a lightweight racing tube will be subject to damage when impact with a pothole occurs quicker than a medium weight tube, I don't think a heavy thorn resistant tube will do anything more for you other than add weight.

Of course anytime you ride a bike you should be prepared for flats, and a spare tube along with a patch kit is critical, as is knowing how to fix a flat on the road! I prefer, read as my opinion, a pump over a CO2 because I have unlimited free air supply with a pump, with a CO2 I'm limited by how many carts I decide to carry. However there are hybrid CO2/pumps on the market that do both, operate like a pump or like a CO2 inflator, however I cannot personally find a reason to pay for air when a pump works just fine, and unless I was racing I don't have the need for speed to get the air in fast.