First Road Bike, Creaking Sound, and Clipless Pedals

atheophilos

Sep 12, 2014
I bought my first road bike about two weeks ago; a Cannondale Synapse 6 105. So far I have put 127 miles on it and I am enjoying riding it more each time. My longest ride has been 43 miles. At 53 years old I am really enjoying this new adventure. Nothing like getting out and riding!

I was a little disappointed with my LBS as the fitting process was to adjust the seat and send me out the door. I plan to call them to ask for a fitting and to address a couple of concerns. The rear gears to not seem to be shifting a smoothly as they should and I notice a creaking sound coming from the front where the forks meet the head tube. This sound only occurs on rough areas of the road where it seem to put more stress on that area of the bike. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Yesterday was my birthday so my present to myself was clipless pedals. I put them on went for a short ride in the neighborhood clipping and unclipping, starting and stopping and then headed out for a 16 mile ride. I was cautions keeping my mind on the need to clip out as a came to a stop. I was really concerned about falling but the ride went without a problem however there were no emergency stops either. I really enjoyed the pedals especially when climbing; that is when I noticed the greatest benefit.

Looking forward to many more miles on this bike. Already looking forward to my first century.

Congrats on getting the bug and doing something about it! I've been riding regularly for about 4 years now and it's been great. Just finished my 6th century ride on Saturday.

I would definitely go back and ask the LBS to help you but many will charge extra for something other than a minimal fitting, which is what you've gotten. Be prepared to pay something for the fitting or you can decide to not pay it and adjust yourself based on trial and error.

Typically, they'll suggest you bring the bike back in for adjustments after a break in period. Cables stretch and may thrown shifting and braking off so it behooves you to do it!

The creaking you describe isn't normal, at least I don't think it is, but I'm no wrench. By all means, ask them to look at that, too.

Good luck!

Brian in VA

Originally Posted by atheophilos
I bought my first road bike about two weeks ago; a Cannondale Synapse 6 105. So far I have put 127 miles on it and I am enjoying riding it more each time. My longest ride has been 43 miles. At 53 years old I am really enjoying this new adventure. Nothing like getting out and riding!

I was a little disappointed with my LBS as the fitting process was to adjust the seat and send me out the door. I plan to call them to ask for a fitting and to address a couple of concerns. The rear gears to not seem to be shifting a smoothly as they should and I notice a creaking sound coming from the front where the forks meet the head tube. This sound only occurs on rough areas of the road where it seem to put more stress on that area of the bike. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Yesterday was my birthday so my present to myself was clipless pedals. I put them on went for a short ride in the neighborhood clipping and unclipping, starting and stopping and then headed out for a 16 mile ride. I was cautions keeping my mind on the need to clip out as a came to a stop. I was really concerned about falling but the ride went without a problem however there were no emergency stops either. I really enjoyed the pedals especially when climbing; that is when I noticed the greatest benefit.

Looking forward to many more miles on this bike. Already looking forward to my first century.
It's very common for brand new bikes to have shifting issues as the cables set in. Most shops will tell you to bring it back after 150 miles or so for a free first adjustment. You can also learn how to do it yourself, especially on the rear. Which will come in handy after they do the first freebie. Lots of bikes develop little creaks and squeaks, or ticking noises. Hard to say what might be causing yours, and taking it back for them to check it out makes sense.

Also, for a lot of shops, a "basic fit" means, basically, setting your seat height and forward/back position.

Got my bike look at today. One cable was broke with they replaced. They did a tune up, greased the seat post, and the seat mounts. It seems to have fixed the creaking noise.Now off to more riding.