First road bike for large male

Gearoid

Feb 11, 2005
Hi im looking into getting my first road bike. Running at the moment with a Spec hardrock 03 running on slicks. but thinks It is time for bike number 2. Problem is theres such a great choice its just mind boggling. My funds are around 1500 euro. Im worried about my size. Im 111kg and 6'4 tall. So any ideas of what type of road bike or model I should be looking at and what ones I should be giving a miss. At the moment Im cycling around 240km a week.

Thanks
Greaoid
Ireland

some people would say avoid a compact frame due to your size... how much do you know about road bikes? im currently in a very similar situation; riding a norco kokanee '03 with slicks, and looking to get my first roadie. i dont ride as far as yo do, but im looking to ride more. im 6'3'' at about 80-85kgs. 1500 euros should get you a pretty decent bike i believe! what models have you looked at so far?

To the Irish muscleman. . .

The Specialized Allez and most performance road bikes have an extremely fragile, paper thin aluminum head tube.

This is combined with a whopping long stem extension.

You guessed it. Crack!

Should you decide on an aluminum bike, do replace the stem extension with about a 90mm or so.

This will make less leverage and less force upon the head tube where they usualy crack at the front, right above the brand name.

Second step, use 700c x 28mm tires. Speed is still strong at this size, but the additional cushion will further protect the frame from cracking. Ruffy Tuffy (Panaracer Pasela with or without Tourguard) tires excel that this speed and protection. Yes. They're flexible. It will save the bike.

However, a good steel road bike, in performance steel (not mass market steel) is just the thing for you.

Steel itself flexes instead of cracking. Bikes are available in exactly the same weight as aluminum. Steel at this very light weight range costs a bit more, but lasts many times longer.

1500 Euros? Lemond steel? Raliegh's best steel?

Oh, and do pay no attention whatsoever to the gear group difference between Sora and Dura Ace. Would you rather flap a lever 8 times or 10 times when the end result is the same?

However, quality and gear range matter greatly.

Above all, comfort (distance power) and the fun of going fast (both sprints and flat ground speeds) are the most important factors. Get a bike that makes you want to ride it.