First Road Bike - Need advice on clip-less pedals

Dakno

Feb 2, 2014
Hey! I recently bought a second hand Guess RB1 from a friend for £50 and I've replaced a few things such as one of the shifters, the tyres and re-gripped the bars. Been riding it for about 4 weeks now and wanted to actually use the clip-less pedals it came with (I've been riding with just normal shoes), just wanted to ask what type of shoes/cleats i'd have to buy to get them to work, couldn't find the actual pedals online so didn't know where to start (Assuming the pedals are actually usable still).

Been looking at the forums for a while now and decided to make an account to ask for help
I've attached some pictures of the bike and pedals.

Thanks.

It looks like those pedals and cleats have been discontinued by Guess. You might try contacting them to see if they still have spares. If they do not, ask if the Guess cleats are Look compatible.

Failing that, you're SOL and will have to purchase a new pair of pedals/cleats.

Any 3-bolt standard road shoe should accept the Guess cleats as they are not all that ancient.

Thanks for the reply, I think if they've been discontinued i might as well get new pedals all together, considering the condition they're in right now.
Would the combination below work at all? And is this something where getting more expensive parts gives a large benefit?

Yeah, your pedals do look pretty well used up.

The usual benefit to buying more expensive pedals is better bearings that last longer and 'sometimes' a more adjustable retention system.

shimaNO pedals, as a rule, are of good quality. If you have shimaNO components on the bike and want to match up the brand, go for it. I would buy the 105 level pedals, myself, as they are a very good quality vs. price point model level.

Look Classics are another lower cost pedal that offer good quality.

I've never worn shimaNO shoes, but if they fit and are comfortable go for it. Fit and comfort are the most imortant considerations in buying a cycling shoe. The higher end shimaNO shoes get good reviews from users and forum members here.

Your combination of components look good. If you can, try the shoes for fit before you buy.

Originally Posted by Dakno
Thanks for the reply, I think if they've been discontinued i might as well get new pedals all together, considering the condition they're in right now.
Would the combination below work at all? And is this something where getting more expensive parts gives a large benefit?

The R540 pedals already come with a set of SPD cleats, so you don't need to purchase an extra set unless you want to have a spare lying around.

Originally Posted by m3ta1head
The R540 pedals already come with a set of SPD cleats, so you don't need to purchase an extra set unless you want to have a spare lying around.
Ah thanks! That'll save me some money when i do buy them then, gonna have a look at some cycle shops here to try the shoes on before i buy now

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
I've never worn shimaNO shoes, but if they fit and are comfortable go for it. Fit and comfort are the most imortant considerations in buying a cycling shoe. The higher end shimaNO shoes get good reviews from users and forum members here.

Your combination of components look good. If you can, try the shoes for fit before you buy.
Agree with everything Bob said about the pedals.

Regarding Shimano shoes, all of this year's road shoes a made on their "Dynalast" last, so when you go up the price range you get lighter materials, a stiffer sole, and with the top two models heat-molded custom fitting, all on essentially the same fit. The old lasts were very good, but Dynalast is the best fit I've had in 40 years of cycling.

Most likely, those old pedals use the old style Look "delta" cleat, if you want to give them a try.

Price some Shimano 105 pedals, before you spring for the 540s. It's often possible to find 105s for $5-$10 more than 540s. I've used 540s, 105s, and Ultegra. To me, the 105s are the best value for the money. Ultegras are not worth the price premium, IMO.