First Road Bike Purchase

sai910

Jul 25, 2011
Hello, I'm looking for some advice as I'm a complete beginner when it comes to road bicycles. I'm looking to buy a bike to stay in shape as I recently had to have a trimalleolar ankle fracture repaired with about 12 screws and a rod. This takes running out of the equation for me, but I'm comfortable pedaling a bike. Currently I'm riding a Trek mountain bike that I got about 20 years ago, and it has served me quite well, but it can be uncomfortable on longer rides and probably doesn't fit me very well. I've been looking to get something that will serve me better. Currently I'm trying to do 3-5 miles a day as I try to get back in shape. Hopefully that will improve rapidly.

The local bike shop carries both Cannondale and Trek so I've focused on those two brands. I haven't been to the shop yet, but hope to go this week. I don't need something to win the Tour de France, but I plan to hopefully be doing 10-15 miles daily and 20-30 or more on the weekends, maybe more as time allows. I don't know that I need a carbon bike, but I know that I'm one of those types of people that will want one as I progress, so I'm thinking it may be best to just jump in now instead of having to buy a second bike in six months or a year.

I've kind of focused on six bikes, three from each manufacturer. The only way I picked them, quite simply, was cost as I have no reference to the pros and cons of different components on each. Those six are:

Cannondale Synapse alloy 5 105
Cannondale Synapse carbon 6 Apex
Cannondale Synapse carbon 5 105

Trek 2.1
Trek Madone 3.1
Trek Madone 4.5

Right now the cost difference between the Madone 3.1 and 4.5 has me leaning towards the 4.5 as it's only a couple hundred more and I would assume a better bike. I also like the carbon 6 Apex. Any advice on pros or cons of each bike would be appreciated. Thanks.

Trek and Cannondale are both make very good bicycles. The best recommendation that you can get is a test ride of the bicycles on your list and pick the one that you like best. Just for comparison, try riding some that aren't on your list. You might find one that you like better. You have one big situation that most prospective buyers don't have though. You must have a full thorough fitting because of your ankle injury. Make sure that the bike shop where you buy the bike is aware of your injury so that they can get someone to do your fitting that is experienced in helping people with ankle problems.