First road bike Trek 1500 or 5200

wishever

Oct 8, 2006
Hi guys,

I have recently got interested in triathlons but has never taken part in one. I am aiming for the country's biggest triathlon event next year which is 8 months to go. However, i do not have a bike so i decided that i should get one. However, i do not know what bike to buy. I have been recommended by the LBS to buy the Trek 1500
(S$ 2800) cos of its value for money. But the thing to me is that it is Aluminium and not carbon and I do feel that carbon looks nicer at all angles. I am considering Trek 5200 which has all the same components except for its carbon frame and it cost just 700 dollars more which is about S$3.5k. On top of that, what are the accessories that i should buy, a cycling pants ? Any advice??

Any advice, being a beginner should i just get a simple one now and buy a better one a few years down the road if i do continue with my interest or just get something that can last me at least 5 years, assuming that I do not crash into any lamppost.

Please give me your sincere advice. I really would appreciate it.

Kent

wishever said:
Hi guys,

I have recently got interested in triathlons but has never taken part in one. I am aiming for the country's biggest triathlon event next year which is 8 months to go. However, i do not have a bike so i decided that i should get one. However, i do not know what bike to buy. I have been recommended by the LBS to buy the Trek 1500
(S$ 2800) cos of its value for money. But the thing to me is that it is Aluminium and not carbon and I do feel that carbon looks nicer at all angles. I am considering Trek 5200 which has all the same components except for its carbon frame and it cost just 700 dollars more which is about S$3.5k. On top of that, what are the accessories that i should buy, a cycling pants ? Any advice??

Any advice, being a beginner should i just get a simple one now and buy a better one a few years down the road if i do continue with my interest or just get something that can last me at least 5 years, assuming that I do not crash into any lamppost.

Kent
I'd rather take a Giant TCR C1. From what i've heard it should be excellent.

I have a Trek 1500, and it handles very nicely. But if you can upgrade to a carbon frameset from a aluminum frameset for only a few hundred more, Ithink it'd be worth your while. Have you consisdered the Cervelo Soloist Team? It's the cheaper counterpart to the Soloist Carbon, and has a flippable seatpost for Triathlons. check it out at www.cervelo.com

Are you going to be doing strictly tri's or road racing as well? If you will be doing tri specific riding exclusively, maybe you should look at one of the Trek Equinoxes...since it has tri specific geometry.

good luck!

-dss

Howdy,

Given the question you asked... I would definately go for the 5200. Until today I ahve a 1200 and a 5200 which is my No 1 bike! Period. It handles awesome. Where I ride 100 km on the 1200 (that I upgraded with an Ultegra group and the same Bontrager wheels as the 5200) I can ride 130 to 150 on the 5200 (it feels the same). I just love the feel of the ultralight bike under me... Awesome.

Now... if you go outside Trek... you may be able to find a better deal (Soloist for example).

I recently decided on a new No1 bike to be... but in terms of price range that's another matter (BMC ProMachine in case you're curious).

Hope this helps.

wishever said:
Hi guys,

Kent
I had a trek usps (5200 frame) bike and never got use to the carbon frame . I was switching from a trek 1200 back in 2000 when I bought the usps bike . I cracked the frame on the usps last year in a crash and will not go back to a carbon frame due to this . I have replaced the bike with a Giant TCR 1 aluminum and love it . For me I will stick will aluminum over carbon any day . Also found that my new giant is lighter than my usps bike . Also for you get a road bike that is comfortable , allot of people buy these expensive road bikes and crash on them because they don't take the time to learn how to ride these high end bikes . The frame design on the 1500 is not as aggressive as the 5200 and it takes time to learn to ride this bike in a fast safe manor . I would suggest the 1500 or 2200 to start and move up later to the next level but that is me . In the pants or shorts , try them on and find a comfortable pair . Also the 1500 , 2200 aluminum bikes will last a long time and handle crashes allot better then carbon . I have had my trek 1200 since 1987 and have had a few bad crashes on it and it is still a great bike to ride , only can't get parts for it any more . I hope this help good luck .

wishever said:
Hi guys,

Kent
If you're considering doing a triathalon, at least get aero bars or just buy a tri bike.