First road bike

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Steve F, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Steve F

Steve F New Member

I am a new entrant to this type of riding and could use some advice on choosing a bike. I'm young and fit, without money to burn, but I don't want to buy something that will need upgrading in a couple years (unless I somehow get really good). With other sports I've found that there are equipment makers that produce mostly or only junk but still have a dedicated following of people who think it is good gear. I feel like it would be better to buy something decent from a quality manufacturer and not have to upgrade so soon. I'm also considering buying a used bike, but I probably need to be better educated on what I am looking at to do that. I'm not opposed to upgrading parts as needed but I'd hate to find I'm unhappy with the bike in a year or two. Is $1500 a reasonable budget for a bike like this that would meet my needs for the first few years or should I be prepared to spend more? I'd be grateful for any suggestions, even if it's just to point me to things online that I should read.

Steve

EDIT: Perhaps I should explain what I plan to do with the bike. I expect that mostly I'll be riding hills for an hour or so, but I might change my mind on distance riding if I can find the time.

Tags:

2. Steve F

Steve F New Member

After looking around it appears that a decent starter bike is within my budget. A guy in a shop suggested trying to get into a carbon framed bike because it will ride more comfortably than aluminum. I would have expected that the desirability of carbon framing is for lightness and stiffness in competition bikes, and probably something that won't make a big difference for me.

I assume if I want to have a nice bike later on, it might be better to buy one with a good frame and less expensive components and upgrade the components later on. I take good care of equipment that needs to be cared for, but I'm unsure of frame durability should I crash at some point.

3. buckybux

buckybux New Member

Being new, I would not recommend buying used. The LBS would be your best bet. At the $1500 price point, I would recommend the carbon frame. As you mention, you can upgrade the components later. Most elect to upgrade the wheels first.

Also, prices seem to drop in January. I would wait, as you should be able to get some good deals on the past years models.

4. seksy_johnny3

seksy_johnny3 New Member

5. nixage

nixage New Member

I agree. I would be more concerned with the components on the bike than the frame itself. It always amazes me how people consider the frame on a bike 'the bike' itself, if you know what I mean.

My suggestion would be to go with at least Campy Veloce group or Shimano 105, then start shopping for a bike with those components. Shifters and rear derailleur are a minimum that should be in that group range.

Have fun.

6. threaded

threaded New Member

Buy something really cheap as you will destroy it, being new to it all, but in the process you will learn what it is you want in a bike. Everyones different, and the reality is that no two people at the end of the day want the same thing.

7. dbackmtg

dbackmtg New Member

. I'm also considering buying a used bike, but I probably need to be better educated on what I am looking at to do that.should read.

I understand the wanting to buy a used bike. My first was a used DB. I just wanted to make sure I liked the sport. When you do buy one get what you really want. This past March I bought a bike I thought I really wanted. Six months later I bought the bike I really wanted. $1500 is more than enough to buy a very nice bike, especially this time of year.

8. atomship47

atomship47 New Member

coming from a person who is already window-shopping for his 3rd bike in the last 6 months, i have to say that, unless your budget is unlimited, there is no such thing as a good 1st bike that won't require upgrading within a couple of years.

all kidding aside, if you're completely new to cycling (like i am), i'd recommend setting a $500 limit for your first bike. maybe i'm an exception to the rule...but when i go to the lbs, i'm just itching to upgrade again.

if you're really dying to spend $1500, you can get an '06 specialized roubaix for that price. i really liked that bike. much more so than the allez.

happy hunting.

9. Steve F

Steve F New Member

I appreciate all the input. After looking and asking around some more, I ended up with a Cannondale CAAD8 bike with Shimano 105 components (I don't think this one had any Ultegra parts) and Shimano F550 (something like that) wheels that was on sale for $1000. I'm more concerned about service than price, so I bought from a local shop that I like and treated me well. It might not be the perfect starter bike, but it fits me properly and the price was right, so I hope it will work for a while. Now I have to learn how to extricate myself from the pedals without eating it, and a whole bunch of other things.

10. Steve F

Steve F New Member

I take that back. The derailleurs are both Ultegra, the rest appears to be 105. The wheels say R550, but I don't think I'd be fooling anyone if I pretended to know what that means.