First Road Bike.

frgly

Aug 4, 2013
Hi,
I'm looking for a road bike for about a thousand euro.I'll be using it for triathlons and some weekend rides.

I have nine bikes in mind, all the reviews say fairly much the same thing and I am unable to decide which is best which would you reccomend?

Trek Madone 2.1​
Felt F85​
Giant Defy 2​
Scott Speedster 30​
Ridley Icarus​
Ridley Tempo Race​
Specialized Allez Sport​
Scott Contessa Speedster 35​
Scott Speedster s35​

I thank you in advance for your help.

the Trek Madone 2.1 is nice, but is also more expensive, 1200 euro, mainly because of the Shimano 105 drivetrain, the Giant is 1000 (but dollars), same for the Specialized, the Scott speedster 30 looks good too it is a give and take situation, we have been discussing on other threads how bike manufacturers throw in a great combination of accessories in every bike, so one bike will be better in a certain thing but save money on another thing, there are no two equal bikes for a given price, geometries are different in these bikes, you may need to test ride a couple of them before making a decision, finally, you are not stuck with what you buy, you can always upgrade accessories and wheels, etc. but that is recommended after you do some serious riding and you get to know better the equipment,

And the felt also has the 105 groupset,Would that not put it in the lead?

the Felt F85 i see has Tiagra not 105, Ridley is a Belgium brand, couldn't be bad, i cannot see the models you posted though,

of the Ridley's, the Tempo Race because the other one has a triple chainring (written in the specs, but pictured with a double crankset) the Felt drivetrain is not straightforward 105, they refer to some parts as Microshifting, not sure what they mean by that, first things first, frame size ! how tall are you ?

And if it wasnt for the crankset thing would the Icarus be better than the tempo race?