first road bike

gymrat123

Apr 4, 2004
Hey there guys i'm looking to buy my frist road bike. I am looking to spend around 1,200 give or take. In that price range, what is a good bike?

i've bee doing a bunch of reading on this forum, and have learned a far bit so far.

I'm looking for something fast and light weight (lol who isn't i guess)

hi gymrat123! it would really depend on the type of riding you wanna do. with that amount i'm guessing you're gonna go for a race road bike.
that's a lot of money. just my 2 cents here...it really wont matter what kind of bike you buy what matters is that the bike fits you and you fit the bike. the name, design, group would just be icing.

with that dough you can go with a bike on a campy chorus or shim dura.

i wish you luck in your purchase!

oh by the way...i envy you!

Originally posted by gymrat123
Hey there guys i'm looking to buy my frist road bike. I am looking to spend around 1,200 give or take. In that price range, what is a good bike?

i've bee doing a bunch of reading on this forum, and have learned a far bit so far.

I'm looking for something fast and light weight (lol who isn't i guess)

1,200 bucks will buy you a very fine bike. Fit is key. For the money you are investing, you have your pick of what is available in you area. Specialized, Trek, LeMond, Felt Giant etc.. It is a matter of opinion which brand is the best. Felt F60 at 19.7lbs, carbon fork and seat stays and ultegra, not a bad bike. Specialized allez elite w/ultegra about 1,070. LeMond - Tourmelet - Carbon fork with 105 fd and ultegra rd $1,040.00. Giant OCR1 - 999.99 carbon fork, Ultegra. Trek 1500, carbon fork, tiagra fd Ultegra rd. EIEIEIO.....The list goes on. You've gleaned good info from this forum from folks much wiser than I, so go out there and test ride a few. Try them all if you can. I had a predetermined notion of what bike I was going to buy but I still tried them all and guess what...I didn't end up with what I thought I would..:D Good luck, this is the beginning of the fun part! Just remember, its your dime, so spend it how you wish...

zapper is right... lotsa bikes to choose from, and you really can't go wrong. one is gonna give you a little better components, another slightly better wheels, another a lighter frame, etc. etc., but essentially they're abouth the same.

you should get what you think you're gonna like riding. the reasons for that can be your own. fit should definately be high on the list, but intangibles like "i love the color" can be important, too.

now if you want anecdotal advise: i just got a felt F45 and love it. superb value... way more bike than other similarly priced bikes... and i love the ride... (but a giant rider is gonna say "i love my giant" and a bianchi rider, "i love my wierdly green bianchi"... so what's anecdotal advise worth? enjoy shopping around and get what YOU love! definately check out the felts if you have a dealer near by, though. :D )

I should also mention, the bike beeds to be available in Canada.

been looking at those felt bikes....looking good

what are your thoughts on the Giant OCR 1?

I'm not a Giant fan but there are a lot of folks who are...The OCR1 is solid bike and falls well under your 1,200 limit. It can be had for $999.99 or less usd's.... Go test ride one but don't limit yourself to that one bike..Try as many as you can and talk to your lbs and then decide which one you like.

I agree with Lostmyshape... Felt is a great bike if available where you are. The F60 (approx 1,100 usd)which is two models below his, still sports carbon fork and seat stays with Ultegra rd and weighs 19.7lbs. Personally, I prefer LeMond, but once again that's me and my opinion... Go with what fits you best, you enjoy riding and is in your budget... Enjoy and good luck!

ya id just say try to get 105 on your bike, tiagras fine but i guess it doesnt really matter since you have 1200 bucks to throw around. good luck and have fun. and make sure to pick up a helmet and water before you leave the shop. and tight shorts are great, altho its understandable if you dont want to sport the spandex just yet.

Those felt bikes are nice, but i dont think i am able to get them here in Canada.

Thats too bad... What bikes are available at your lbs? Have you tested the OCR1 yet? Don't know myself.. The closest I've come to your way is Nova Scotia... Wonderful place, I had a great time!