First Road Bikes...Need help from the experienced!

senfinger

Jan 19, 2013
We love our LBS, and recently my wife and I have wanted to get into road biking. (I'm a previous Trek Mountain Bike Owner) and so Trek Haters look no further = ) I'm thinking about getting the Madone 2.1 or stretching the funds for a 3.1 She is thinking about a Lexa SLX or stretching for the 3.1 WSD. I know originally we were looking at the 1.2 for me and the Lexa S for her. Anything comments would be great- and thanks in advance! -S

Not that you live in Wisconsin, but this is a killer deal. (Maybe you do if you are Trek fans!)

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/3577076439.html

This is higher end than you wanted but is the price of what you wanted and is a better bike. It looks like he dropped the gruppo to 105 (should be higher end for this bike), but 105 isnt bad. I race cat 5 with it on my Felt Z6.

Other than that buy as much bike as you can afford. You wont regret getting too sweet of a bike, but may regret getting too cheap of one. Also keep in mind desired upgrades (wheels, pedals, shoes, gruppo, crank...) I initially dropped $1400 on my bike because it was $300 off and a carbon frame. I have thus far spent $1150 upgrading it.

Lastly if you are coming from mountain biking remember that the shoes, cleats, and pedals dont work for road (yes you could possibly make it work, but you could also bike in flip flops). I got shoes and pedals (come with cleats typically) on discount from one of my sponsors for a total of $360 (Giro Factor shoes with Stainless Speedplay Lightaction pedals). i would reccomend using clipless over cages as well. Best of luck!

That's a tough call. The only significant difference between the Madone 2.1 and 3.1 is that the 2.1 frame is alloy while the 3.1 frame is carbon. The differences between the 3.1 WSD and the Lexa SLX are similar with the exception that the Lexa SLX has the elastomer decoupler at the seat tube/top tube/seat stay junction to damp vibrations or forces from bumps. All of the bikes have essentially the same component spec. The only good way to determine which to buy is for you and your wife to test ride the bikes. I wouldn't advise just buying a bike because it's carbon fiber since there may not be any noticeable benefit while riding. If a local Trek dealer doesn't have the bikes for test riding, it would be worth calling other Trek dealers to see what they have to ride. Even if getting test rides requires driving a few hours, it's still worth it. That last thing you want is to end up with a bike that you aren't satisfied with or ends up not working for you.

[SIZE=8pt]Thanks so much for the reply- Do you have any exp. with the [/SIZE][SIZE=8.0pt]elastomer decoupler? I know we are going to be doing this for fun and trips and not on the competitive side. I was checking out the Domane 2.3 because it was closer to her SLX- But after ready made me think it was discussing the difference between a compact or triple crank? = )[/SIZE]
Originally Posted by alienator .

That's a tough call. The only significant difference between the Madone 2.1 and 3.1 is that the 2.1 frame is alloy while the 3.1 frame is carbon. The differences between the 3.1 WSD and the Lexa SLX are similar with the exception that the Lexa SLX has the elastomer decoupler at the seat tube/top tube/seat stay junction to damp vibrations or forces from bumps. All of the bikes have essentially the same component spec. The only good way to determine which to buy is for you and your wife to test ride the bikes. I wouldn't advise just buying a bike because it's carbon fiber since there may not be any noticeable benefit while riding. If a local Trek dealer doesn't have the bikes for test riding, it would be worth calling other Trek dealers to see what they have to ride. Even if getting test rides requires driving a few hours, it's still worth it. That last thing you want is to end up with a bike that you aren't satisfied with or ends up not working for you.

Hello, I'm knew here but I do have a similar experience to share. We rode different bikes at our LBS. My wife liked her bike from the get go, it fit, she liked riding it and she liked the color, it wasn't 'a boy's color'. I rode that same model 1st and was all set to buy it too. When she went for her test ride, I went out to accompany her and rode a different model. It was almost instantly that I knew the difference and appreciated the difference. So,for our choices, I went for the extra money and bought the better - to me - bike. In that model line I bought the least expensive model thinking it had a good frame "good bones" that I could upgrade later. That is pretty much what has happened, as I have ridden it more I have upgraded components. Buy a bike that makes you happy! Andy

Thanks for the reply! Haven't had a chance to ride a carbon to compare... I think it comes down to the Domane/SLX with the IsoSpeed decoupler or SLX for her and a 2.3 for me or... Carbon 3.1 for both of us. The only thing we have rode was the 1.5 and the SL- though the shifting could be smoother hence the Sora to 105 and her seat was hurting... we where thinking an adjustment or need for different seat.

Also,

How much dampening does the Carbon assist with or does it really come down to speed and rigidness of frame for power vs. flex- Are being new we wouldn't notice? Also, In terms of Madone vs. Domane... Any real issue between the two- seems like two concepts that were designed for completely different areas of the world with a different riding style in mind. I saw someone state above that there is no performance lost on the Domane. Thanks again for all of the help. (I know we want the 105s and Compact) just trying to figure the frame and style out. = )

senfinger said:
We love our LBS, and recently my wife and I have wanted to get into road biking. (I'm a previous Trek Mountain Bike Owner) and so Trek Haters look no further = )   I'm thinking about getting the Madone 2.1 or stretching the funds for a 3.1   She is thinking about a Lexa SLX or stretching for the 3.1 WSD.   I know originally we were looking at the 1.2 for me and the Lexa S for her.   Anything comments would be great- and thanks in advance!   -S
since today is valentine's i would buy my wife the 3.1 WSD and if you can a 3.1 for you !

senfinger said:
Also, How much dampening does the Carbon assist with or does it really come down to speed and rigidness of frame for power vs. flex- Are being new we wouldn't notice? Also, In terms of Madone vs. Domane... Any real issue between the two- seems like two concepts that were designed for completely different areas of the world with a different riding style in mind. I saw someone state above that there is no performance lost on the Domane. Thanks again for all of the help. (I know we want the 105s and Compact) just trying to figure the frame and style out. = )
A carbon fiber bike frame or component has no specific response characteristic to vibrations or to bumps. How a frame or component responds is dependent on several factors. In that light, then, carbon fiber does not necessarily make for a frame or component that will more bump compliant or better at damping vibrations. In terms of the Madone vs. Domane, the in nearly every spec a Madone of a given size will be racier (quicker handling, more aggressive rider position), less bump compliant, a bit less stable (perhaps "nervous" feeling) than the Domane. That doesn't mean the Madone will be difficult or scary to ride. The difference comes from the Domane being designed to be extremely stable in order to provide a more compliant, less abusive, and easier to control ride. The Domane is also significantly different in that its seat tube is not rigidly connected to the top tube and chain stays. Instead connecting the two is an "axle" wrapped by an elastomer which allows the seat tube to flex more than the Madone's, providing a more compliant ride. I'd urge you to test ride both to see the differences.

Hi Senfinger, Since I'm a totally novice, so hope you don't mind that instead of giving you opinion, I'm actually looking for your post purchase comments (assuming you guys already bought the bikes?), cause myself is interested in the 2013 Trek Lexa SLX C as well. My question for you then is: 1)My LBS best offer is $1350 for the black /pearl color. 6 months free service. Mind telling me how much you paid for on the Lexa SLX C? 2) How does your wife like it? Many thanks in advance!

Alienator:

Huge huge thanks for this post- (I have been slammed lately and needed to reply) We have been waiting for a good time to go to our LBS and get setup on the 3.1 or the Domane and SLX.
So with all of this in mind below- we'll get fitted and go with which ride feels and rides the best overall to us...

Thanks again for the breakdown of everything, one of the most helpful post I have ever read-

Originally Posted by alienator .

A carbon fiber bike frame or component has no specific response characteristic to vibrations or to bumps. How a frame or component responds is dependent on several factors. In that light, then, carbon fiber does not necessarily make for a frame or component that will more bump compliant or better at damping vibrations.

In terms of the Madone vs. Domane, the in nearly every spec a Madone of a given size will be racier (quicker handling, more aggressive rider position), less bump compliant, a bit less stable (perhaps "nervous" feeling) than the Domane. That doesn't mean the Madone will be difficult or scary to ride. The difference comes from the Domane being designed to be extremely stable in order to provide a more compliant, less abusive, and easier to control ride. The Domane is also significantly different in that its seat tube is not rigidly connected to the top tube and chain stays. Instead connecting the two is an "axle" wrapped by an elastomer which allows the seat tube to flex more than the Madone's, providing a more compliant ride.

I'd urge you to test ride both to see the differences.
As you can see above we haven't purchased yet... lol168: I know we are both going to get compacts = )
Is it $1350 out to the door or... We have 9% ST so we would be at $1475 out the door... with 1 year main.

I would say you are 15.6% with that price... anything 11% or more is hard to beat on MSRP isn't bad... I'm sure other can comment...

Let me know what you end up thinking about it and I will keep in touch as well...

Thanks!

Originally Posted by lol168 .

Hi Senfinger,
Since I'm a totally novice, so hope you don't mind that instead of giving you opinion, I'm actually looking for your post purchase comments (assuming you guys already bought the bikes?), cause myself is interested in the 2013 Trek Lexa SLX C as well.

My question for you then is:
1)My LBS best offer is $1350 for the black /pearl color. 6 months free service. Mind telling me how much you paid for on the Lexa SLX C?
2) How does your wife like it?

Many thanks in advance!

The employee discount is almost 60% off current year bikes. (If that helps or hurts) = )

(Now for a part time job at the LBS = )

Originally Posted by lol168 .

My question for you then is:
1)My LBS best offer is $1350 for the black /pearl color. 6 months free service. Mind telling me how much you paid for on the Lexa SLX C?
For a current model year bike at the start of the model year, 5-10% off MSRP plus six months of free service is a reasonable deal.

Since you're new at this, now is a good time to load up on accessories--pump, tire levers, spare tubes, bottle cages, under-the-saddle bag, helmets. Margins on this stuff are higher so it's easy to get a good discount and free installation on the stuff you're going to buy eventually, anyway.

lol168 I typed a long reply about everything and it's waiting to be approved not sure on why my other one posted. If nothing shows up I will retype everything...
Thanks!