First road race today....

Jcyclist

Oct 14, 2006
So this was my first cat 5 road race down in greenville. Id raced juniors before but not cat 5. i was amazed how easy it was. The race was a total of 21 miles. The first lap was pretty easy. no crashes. the second lap was a little harder but not to bad. no crashes. But the thrid lap wasnt so good. around 2 miles to the finish. i was in the leading peloton when some idiot in front of me who had been all over the road the whole race started swarving and went down and i went right into him and crashed with about a total of 7 riders(Good thing i shaved my legs the night before). I was a little dissapointed because i had a chance at a top 10 finish. But iv'e got another race next weekend so wish me luck.

Man thats tough luck, congratulations though for staying with them the whole way! Top ten is a great result first time out, sounds like your crash wasnt to bad if you'll be ready to race next weekend, good luck!:)

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.
I'm a junior, too, and only do cat 5 races. Too many of the juniors around here double as cat 2 and 3 riders for me to even attempt to race with them. I'm assuming you had to conform to the new gear restriction rule, since it counts even in senior races for people 18 and under, now. How was it keeping pace despite having limited gears?

ToffoIsMe said:
I'm a junior, too, and only do cat 5 races. Too many of the juniors around here double as cat 2 and 3 riders for me to even attempt to race with them. I'm assuming you had to conform to the new gear restriction rule, since it counts even in senior races for people 18 and under, now. How was it keeping pace despite having limited gears?
I really didnt find it hard to keep up with the new gear restrictions. I just was always spinning at least 105 rpm and up.

Jcyclist said:
I really didnt find it hard to keep up with the new gear restrictions. I just was always spinning at least 105 rpm and up.
What gear are you running, and how fast can you get it up to?
I have a 52x15 as my fastest gear and I can't seem to get above 30.5mph when sprinting. That was at about 110-115 rpm.
I'll find out next weekend what the gearing is like racing. I can't wait. :D

ToffoIsMe said:
What gear are you running, and how fast can you get it up to?
I have a 52x15 as my fastest gear and I can't seem to get above 30.5mph when sprinting. That was at about 110-115 rpm.
I'll find out next weekend what the gearing is like racing. I can't wait. :D
A 52X14 will easily pass. Mine as well take the extra gear.

whoawhoa said:
A 52X14 will easily pass. Mine as well take the extra gear.
Hmmm I think I'll have to look into getting one. Maybe I can sell my 15-25 on ebay, not sure how much demand there is for them though. Has less than 500 miles on it...

ToffoIsMe said:
Hmmm I think I'll have to look into getting one. Maybe I can sell my 15-25 on ebay, not sure how much demand there is for them though. Has less than 500 miles on it...
Then it's cheaper to run a 53-15, still less gear than a 52-14 though...

ToffoIsMe said:

What are the gear restrictions?

djrocker257 said:
What are the gear restrictions?
I don't know what the exact roll out distance is, but the hardest gears allowed are 53-15, 53-14, and 45-12. This is for people 18 years old and under ("juniors") that are racing. It used to only be for junior specific races, but now it applies to everyone 18 and under, even in men's races.