First road race win!

quenya

Jan 14, 2010
I totally apologize for being a braggard (...or asshole) but I'm super, over the moon, excited.  I won my first road race Saturday.  This is my 4th season racing and while I've had success in TTs I haven't been able to get it together to win a road race or crit.  Saturday was Cantua Creek Road Race. Cantua is a longish road race for the cat 4s at ~78 miles but it's mostly flat (1 ~7 min climb at the end of each of 3 laps) not the least bit technical.  On the third and final lap the group brought back a small break that had stayed away for a while, maybe 6-8 miles. The descent really cuts down the breaks gap.  Until then I'd been tail gunning and soft pedaling the climbs, but since it was the final lap I felt like the next move might be the last.   Long story short (a guy ****** me off) the next move was my own, I attacked from the front.    Somehow I established a gap, when I saw that no one was going to bridge up... I settled into TT mode and rode solo, 15.8 miles finishing 45 seconds or a minute ahead of the field.

Congratulations!
You were able to create a TT situation in the last lap of a race. You did very well.
Since you attacked from the front, the following guy did a mistake by not following you.
Did you attack in the flat part ?

Cycling Tactics said:
Congratulations! You were able to create a TT situation in the last lap of a race. You did very well. Since you attacked from the front, the following guy did a mistake by not following you. Did you attack in the flat part ?
I did attack on the flat on the out portion of the course. A few of us were starting to rotate at the front. I had been further back most of the race but at that point I thought it was worth the energy to be near the front so that I could react, my plan was to attack much closer to or on the finish hill. When the guy behind me in the rotation refused to pull around, for the third time, I attacked him. I wasn't expecting the whole group to let me go... who would? But, I guess we were far enough out that they didn't think I could pull it off.

Nice!!

I don't blame you for being excited or boasting a win. I would be too.

Originally Posted by quenya

I did attack on the flat on the out portion of the course. A few of us were starting to rotate at the front. I had been further back most of the race but at that point I thought it was worth the energy to be near the front so that I could react, my plan was to attack much closer to or on the finish hill. When the guy behind me in the rotation refused to pull around, for the third time, I attacked him. I wasn't expecting the whole group to let me go... who would? But, I guess we were far enough out that they didn't think I could pull it off.
Sounds as if you did everything right. Saved your legs for the end of the race, the rider behind you probably was not able to work in front, as he was already going as hard as possible just to hang in. You had enough left to attack and the pace was hard enough for the third rider to hang in rather than come through. Perfect move.

From me and the other nutcases in NYC... CONGRATS!

If I won a race there would be multiple threads hailing the victory, you're being modest.

And a 15 mile solo pull off the front for a solo win... Beast!

Originally Posted by quenya

You did right by attacking when the other guy didn't want to collaborate with you. Thank you for the race details!

Way to go. A successful 15 mile solo is something to brag about.

Now, about upgrading your license . . .

Ah, upgrading. Since USA Cycling upgrade points aren't expiring (since 2012) I'm getting close. I think I've got 15 points now and should be able to scrape enough together this season. If TTs counted for upgrade points that would be a different story. I didn't want to upgrade without a win in a road race even if I collected enough points. I'm not sandbagging in the 4s I've really struggled more than I thought I would. So, this year I'm aiming to do ~10 road races and several local crits (and 7-10 TTs) to develop my skills... To be ready for the 3s.

Thats great, it doesn't matter a **** what level the race is, winning is one of the best feelings you can experience. Prob more so when you do it from a break. Time to move up to the 3's
cool.png