first road race

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Davep, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Davep

    Davep Guest

    I completed my first Road Race on Saturday and achieved what I set out to do, i.e stay upright and
    finish with the bunch. There were several small breakaways that were all reeled back in so I was
    there at the end and not right at the back. It was 14 laps of Thruxtons 2.35 mile circuit and
    average speed was 23mph , 22.6 as per computer, but it's nice to round it up :) The race was staged
    by "Omega Circuit Races" and I think there's another on June 14th. I entered as a private entry, not
    having a club at the moment, paid 12pds for a day licence and 13pds for the race. The youngsters
    went out at 1000 , 3rd and 4th cats at 1030 ( 3rds a minute or two before the 4ths ). e/1/2's at
    1230. Training - for those interested... Since January I've had about 5 Sunday outings with the guys
    from a popular cycle shop in Sutton, Surrey and two Saturdays chain-ganging in Richmond Park, plus
    the commuting. The race wasn't easy, but then again I had no idea what to expect. We warmed up in
    the paddock area for about 15mins then onto the track and seemed to set off for the first two laps
    at a speed I thought I wouldn't be able to maintain but then things settled down and the nerves
    disappeared. On lap 9 I was wondering if I'd be able to finish but the changing pace of the race
    gave opportunities to get your breath back. Thruxton is relatively flat and the only rise/slope (
    it's not a hill ) is towards the finish. Bike - I used my one and only Bob Jackson 531 , minus
    mudguards. My commuting tyres have had a couple of thousand London miles in them so

    I borrowed my sons Vuelta? front wheel and his rear tyre and inner tube (didn't want to risk chain
    skipping with his newish rear sprocket). i wore a plain short sleeved top
    ( ithink plain is preferred if you don't have a club top ) plus long base layer underneath. I ate
    my 4oz of Jordans oat thingie cereal about 0730 then a banana at 0930. I had about a cup full of
    my half orange/water/ drink about the same time and finished the rest during the race. Cake and
    coffee afterwards. 70-ish minutes from SW London ( down a3/m25/a303 ) meant all the Saturday
    wasn't taken up with my new pastime :)

    davep

    Tags:

  2. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    davep wrote:

    >I completed my first Road Race on Saturday and achieved what I set out to do, i.e stay upright and
    >finish with the bunch. There were several small breakaways that were all reeled back in so I was
    >there at the end and not right at the back. It was 14 laps of Thruxtons 2.35 mile circuit and
    >average speed was 23mph , 22.6 as per computer, but it's nice to round it up :)

    Interesting.

    At the height of my training last year for the Raid Pyrenees, I could average 16.72 MPH on my 13.66
    mile daily training run along the bendy Thames Path and up the hill in Greenwich Park on a mountain
    bike with road tires. On the flat, around the Millennium Dome, I could get up to 35 MPH in either
    direction - although that section is less than 1000 yards.

    Now, if I can average over 16 MPH on a mountain bike on a less than ideal track in London, what
    might I be able to achieve on a good road bike on a proper track with other cyclists for slip
    stream support?
    --
    remove remove to reply

  3. Russell

    Russell Guest

    davep <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I completed my first Road Race on Saturday and achieved what I set out to do, i.e stay upright and
    > finish with the bunch. There were several small breakaways that were all reeled back in so I was
    > there at the end and not right at the back. It was 14 laps of Thruxtons 2.35 mile circuit and
    > average speed was 23mph , 22.6 as per computer, but it's nice to round it up :) The race was
    > staged by "Omega Circuit Races" and I think there's another on June 14th. I entered as a private
    > entry, not having a club at the moment, paid 12pds for a day licence and 13pds for the race. The
    > youngsters went out at 1000 , 3rd and 4th cats at 1030 ( 3rds a minute or two before the 4ths ).
    > e/1/2's at 1230. Training - for those interested... Since January I've had about 5 Sunday outings
    > with the guys from a popular cycle shop in Sutton, Surrey and two Saturdays chain-ganging in
    > Richmond Park, plus the commuting. The race wasn't easy, but then again I had no idea what to
    > expect. We warmed up in the paddock area for about 15mins then onto the track and seemed to set
    > off for the first two laps at a speed I thought I wouldn't be able to maintain but then things
    > settled down and the nerves disappeared. On lap 9 I was wondering if I'd be able to finish but the
    > changing pace of the race gave opportunities to get your breath back. Thruxton is relatively flat
    > and the only rise/slope ( it's not a hill ) is towards the finish. Bike - I used my one and only
    > Bob Jackson 531 , minus mudguards. My commuting tyres have had a couple of thousand London miles
    > in them so
    >
    > I borrowed my sons Vuelta? front wheel and his rear tyre and inner tube (didn't want to risk chain
    > skipping with his newish rear sprocket). i wore a plain short sleeved top
    > ( ithink plain is preferred if you don't have a club top ) plus long base layer underneath. I ate
    > my 4oz of Jordans oat thingie cereal about 0730 then a banana at 0930. I had about a cup full
    > of my half orange/water/ drink about the same time and finished the rest during the race. Cake
    > and coffee afterwards. 70-ish minutes from SW London ( down a3/m25/a303 ) meant all the
    > Saturday wasn't taken up with my new pastime :)
    >
    > davep

    Well done Dave. I did my 1st a few weeks ago as well with the same objectives & result as you. I've
    done TTs for a couple of years so when the group I was in got dropped (I didn't even realise for a
    couple of minutes) I was quite chuffed to be able to TT my way back to the pack. As you say the pace
    changes were quite an education. I soon got to realise when I was dying, so was everyone else & it
    would all calm down shortly. Next one is on the 29th April with a couple of TTs in between. Only
    thing is its so damned expensive! Club TT = £1 Road race = £10 plus BCF membership & racing licence
    + local league membership!

    Russell

  4. On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:04:57 +0000 (UTC), davep <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I completed my first Road Race on Saturday and achieved what I set out to do, i.e stay upright and
    >finish with the bunch. There were several small breakaways that were all reeled back in so I was
    >there at the end and not right at the back. It was 14 laps of Thruxtons 2.35 mile circuit and
    >average speed was 23mph , 22.6 as per computer, but it's nice to round it up :)

    snip

    >Bike - I used my one and only Bob Jackson 531 , minus mudguards. My commuting tyres have had a
    >couple of thousand London miles in them so
    >
    >I borrowed my sons Vuelta? front wheel and his rear tyre and inner tube (didn't want to risk chain
    >skipping with his newish rear sprocket). i wore a plain short sleeved top

    snip

    >taken up with my new pastime :)

    Not wanting to be personal or anything but how old are you? I note that you've borrowed kit off your
    son so you can't be a mere stripling.

    I ask because I'd love to try racing but had always assumed that at 33 I'd missed the boat by
    about 15 years.

  5. Davep

    Davep Guest

    > I've done TTs for a couple of years so when the group I was in got dropped (I didn't even
    > realise for a couple of minutes) I was quite chuffed to be able to TT my way back to the pack.
    > As you say the pace changes were quite an education. I soon got to realise when I was dying, so
    > was everyone else

    I saw this too

    > & it would all calm down shortly. Next one is on the 29th April with a couple of TTs in between.
    > Only thing is its so damned expensive! Club TT = £1 Road race = £10 plus BCF membership & racing
    > licence + local league membership!
    >
    > Russell

    I did some ( 3 i think ) TT's 22 years ago , I'd like to give them another shot but feel I need some
    stricter training, have you seen www.timetrialtraining.co.uk ?

    davep

  6. Davep

    Davep Guest

    "[Not Responding]" wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:04:57 +0000 (UTC), davep <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I completed my first Road Race on Saturday and achieved what I set out to do, i.e stay upright
    > >and finish with the bunch. There were several small breakaways that were all reeled back in so I
    > >was there at the end and not right at the back. It was 14 laps of Thruxtons 2.35 mile circuit and
    > >average speed was 23mph , 22.6 as per computer, but it's nice to round it up :)
    >
    > snip
    >
    > >Bike - I used my one and only Bob Jackson 531 , minus mudguards. My commuting tyres have had a
    > >couple of thousand London miles in them so
    > >
    > >I borrowed my sons Vuelta? front wheel and his rear tyre and inner tube (didn't want to risk
    > >chain skipping with his newish rear sprocket). i wore a plain short sleeved top
    >
    > snip
    >
    > >taken up with my new pastime :)
    > >

    > Not wanting to be personal or anything but how old are you? I note that you've borrowed kit off
    > your son so you can't be a mere stripling.
    >
    > I ask because I'd love to try racing but had always assumed that at 33 I'd missed the boat by
    > about 15 years.

    43.I can't see me progressing through the categories but I'd like to do a few more ( closed circuit
    and open road ) just to compare the two and see if some more

    training/races makes it a little easier.

    davep

  7. Sabineuk

    Sabineuk Guest

    Gonzalez [email protected] said:

    >At the height of my training last year for the Raid Pyrenees, I could average 16.72 MPH on my 13.66
    >mile daily training run along the bendy Thames Path and up the hill in Greenwich Park on a mountain
    >bike with road tires. On the flat, around the Millennium Dome, I could get up to 35 MPH in either
    >direction - although that section is less than 1000 yards.

    Well done on the speed.

    Less well done on the um, consideration for other track users.

    Those speeds are nothing short of a menace because the sightlines on the Thames Path are lousy: I
    really hope I never meet you there, and for their sake, I hope you never meet anyone coming the
    other way.

    John

  8. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    SabineUK wrote:

    >Less well done on the um, consideration for other track users.
    >
    >Those speeds are nothing short of a menace because the sightlines on the Thames Path are lousy: I
    >really hope I never meet you there, and for their sake, I hope you never meet anyone coming the
    >other way.

    How often do you use the Thames Path between 5.30 and 6.30 am?

    And around the Millennium Dome, right up to Greenwich Yacht Club, the cycle path is distinct from
    the footpath and wide enough for two bikes to pass at speed with ease.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  9. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    davep <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "[Not Responding]" wrote:
    > > Not wanting to be personal or anything but how old are you? I note that you've borrowed kit off
    > > your son so you can't be a mere stripling.
    > >
    > > I ask because I'd love to try racing but had always assumed that at 33 I'd missed the boat by
    > > about 15 years.
    >
    > 43.I can't see me progressing through the categories but I'd like to do a few more ( closed
    > circuit and open road ) just to compare the two and see if some more
    >
    > training/races makes it a little easier.

    More races does make it easier. I raced 2 years ago at Mallory Park,Leics., where there are closed
    circuit races every Tuesday night over the Summer. In the first race I was dropped after 6 laps, and
    again after about
    25.On this circuit it isnt a problem, as you just take it easy and let them lap you, then get onto
    the back again. I slowly got better, and was getting dropped later in the race every week, until
    the last week of the series when I stayed with the group until the last but one lap, but I was so
    knackered I had to pull out. It was great doing it, and I hope to do some more this year. I'm 38
    now, and only started competitive cycling 4 years ago.I'm probably 2 stone overweight, so tend to
    'stand out' a little when stood next to the typical 5'8" 8 stone racer! I know I'm never going to
    win anything, but I just love doing it! Alan.

    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  10. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    SabineUK wrote:

    >Gonzalez [email protected] said:
    >

    >>How often do you use the Thames Path between 5.30 and 6.30 am?
    >
    >So it's quiet. So no-one expects to meet anyone else.
    >
    >>And around the Millennium Dome, right up to Greenwich Yacht Club, the cycle path is distinct from
    >>the footpath and wide enough for two bikes to pass at speed with ease.
    >
    >At a closing speed of 70mph?
    >
    >The sightlines are still poor anywhere there's a corner.

    The pathway and cycle lanes are straight between the Dome and Greenwich Yacht Club, along Bugsby's
    Reach. The combined width is at least 15 feet. Yes, it is perfectly safe for a cyclist to test his
    (or her) top speed on the flat.

    http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&x=539500&y=180000&scale=25000&gride=&gridn=&rt=-
    overlay.htm

    During three years of regularly riding the Thames Path I have never been in collision with a fellow
    path user, although I have had tumble one very wet evening. In the link below you can just make out
    a light grey patch in the centre of the red circle. This is a metal disk about 120cm across, and
    very slippy when wet!

    http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&x=539000&y=179500&scale=10000&gride=538755&grid-
    n=179710&rt=overlay.htm
    --
    remove remove to reply

  11. Well done.

    Son & Heir did his first ever time trial last week - the maternal bosums heaved with pride. Just got
    in from him completing his second - took 2 mins off his time - maternal bosums heaved once more as I
    took pic of father & son in their new club jerseys :)

    Cheers, helen s