First road shoe purchase question

twangcat

Nov 6, 2005
I'm in the process of reading all the reviews and product information I can find related to road shoes. I'm keen on the Specialized BG Super or Comp shoes based on reviews of their fit and comfort. I realize that those attributes are specific to a given person's feet, and I'll of course be trying the shoes on before buying. But, given that I'm relatively new to road cycling, are there significant attributes of the Comp shoes over the Supers that are worthy of the $40 more for the Comps? I'm not opposed to spending more, but I don't want to do so if the added value is so cryptic to a newbie that I wouldn't realize it anyway if I bought the less costly shoes. Bottom line is that I'll spend the $120 or so for the Comps vs the $80 for the Supers if I get some reliable info from users that supports the value. If not, then the Supers seem to be a good place to start for me. I'm not racing, just recreational organized rides with a cycling club on weekends and some solo rides during the week. Most of these are 20-40 miles at 14-16 mph so far.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

Cliff

twangcat said:
I'm in the process of reading all the reviews and product information I can find related to road shoes. I'm keen on the Specialized BG Super or Comp shoes based on reviews of their fit and comfort. I realize that those attributes are specific to a given person's feet, and I'll of course be trying the shoes on before buying. But, given that I'm relatively new to road cycling, are there significant attributes of the Comp shoes over the Supers that are worthy of the $40 more for the Comps? I'm not opposed to spending more, but I don't want to do so if the added value is so cryptic to a newbie that I wouldn't realize it anyway if I bought the less costly shoes. Bottom line is that I'll spend the $120 or so for the Comps vs the $80 for the Supers if I get some reliable info from users that supports the value. If not, then the Supers seem to be a good place to start for me. I'm not racing, just recreational organized rides with a cycling club on weekends and some solo rides during the week. Most of these are 20-40 miles at 14-16 mph so far.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

Cliff

If you are relatively new to road cycling, have you considered the practicality of road shoes? I find that I prefer very much mountain bike shoes that have recessed cleats that allow me to walk on them in comfort. Road shoes require a cafe cover for a number of reasons, one being that metal cleats are very slippery on many surfaces. Shoes for cycling do not have to be expensive, high-end shoes. I'm perfectly happy with Shimano mid-range moutain bike shoes for they have velcro closure and are comfortable enough to wear all day walking around.

I think you have many choices. Like Insight Driver said the first thing you should look at is usefulness of the shoe. I started out with a pair of Specialized Sonomas, that are labeled a spinning shoe, that could be walked in easily, recessed cleat and were somewhat cheap. Then I decided I "wanted" a "real" road shoe and after searching many places found a pair of PI's through Performance that were a year older model for $40. They have served me very well and I can tell a difference in stiffness between them and my first shoes, but not any other road shoes I have tried in reasonable range. I would say if you like them you will wear them so get the ones you like best or feel best and that function well for you.

I believe I have the comps, but I'm not sure as I don't have the box in front of me. I was just looking for a decent set of shoes at the time, and I've been very happy with them. I was considering a cheaper pair of specialized shoes, but I liked how the comps had the strap with the wratchet at the top (not quite sure what you call it) as opposed to having just velcro there. Looking back, I'm glad I spent the extra money b/c I like having the wratchet strap there as opposed to velcro as it locks your foot in so much more snugly.