Stephen Rainsbury said:We run a session on our district expedition course about weight reduction and we can nearly always
cut down a YP's pack by 25-50%
- You don't need a full tube of toothpaste, the dog end with a few days left is enough.
Yep, that's what I bring.
Quoted message said:- You don't need a whole face cloth.
Don't bring a face cloth.
Quoted message said:- A small sports towel is enough for hiking
I use a small pertex towel, hardly weighs anything.
Quoted message said:- You don't need, radios, walkmen, books, [censored] like that
I don't bring radios or walkmen, I like to get away from things like that, but a well chosen book
can be handy to help pass the time during those long winter nights. Not much use in summer though, I
find I don't have time to read then.
Quoted message said:- Your camp knife and a spoon are the only cutlery you need.
Exactly.
Quoted message said:- Eat from the trangia.
I presume you mean straight out of the pot. Of course.
Quoted message said:- Clean you trangia with a clump of grass first, then just clean with a small amount of detergent
afterwards.
I don't bother with detergent. I also use pebbles and sand from the river to help clean pans.
Quoted message said:- take any extra fittings/straps off you rucksack
Ah, but I actually use the straps on my rucksack! Useful for attaching tent, sleeping mat, tripod,
walking poles, wet waterproofs etc.
Quoted message said:- an ex-army metal "kidney" cup is lightweight, can be used for an emergency Billy, eating your
cereal/porridge whatever.
Ugh! I can't stand metal cups. Burnt my lips the first time I tried one. I prefer plastic.
Quoted message said:- If you strip off at night you will be warmer than seeping in today's clothes
Isn't this just a myth? How can you be warmer wearing less clothes?
Quoted message said:so you don't need a bigger sleeping bag
Wouldn't buy a bigger one anyway. Why would a few clothes make a difference to the
sleeping bag size?
Quoted message said:- Food is the normal waste. If you are expecting to get clean water at each stop then don't carry
food in liquid, like baked beans!
Absolutely not! Dried food mostly, but I've always had a habit of carrying too much chocolate (not a
problem anymore though). You do need some real food for snacks whilst walking though, so what would
you recommend instead of chocolate for those much needed energy boosts before a hard climb?
Quoted message said:It all adds up.
It certainly does. Glad you didn't suggest ditching my cameras! ;-)
Paul
--
wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.ukOpen ↗
wildwales.fsnet.co.ukwildwales.fsnet.co.ukOpen ↗
photosig.comuserphotosOpen ↗