General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

First solid foods for babies

Started by Stan Marks · · Last activity · 50 posts · 1,602 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 August 2004
Last activity
26 August 2004
Original author
Stan Marks
Posts
50
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,602
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 50
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Carol Ann, when Morgan starts in on solid foods she'll soon let you
    know what she likes and dislikes. You may find her 'eyeing off' your
    dinner (I often did) and giving her a sample of something in an
    appropriate texture may well open her horizons some more. You're
    doing a great job of raising your beautiful little girl.

    Aramanth

    Thanks, Aramanth. I'm doing the best that I can. I am fortunate to be able
    to keep her with me even when I go to work (though that may change soon).

    I do notice that Morgan watches me eat. I often wonder if she is ready.
    Today I gave her a sippy cup with a bit of water in it to see if she would
    know what to do and she did! I was shocked.

    She skipped over bottles completely. She won't take a pacifier, either. I
    never knew babies could actually be raised without a bottle.

    I want to raise her to eat whole real foods and to live an active lifestyle.
    I do not want her to have to deal with weight problems.

    You never stop thinking when you are a mom. It's a fantastic experience for
    me.
    ~Carol Ann

  2. Carol Ann said:
    Quoted message said:

    Carol Ann, when Morgan starts in on solid foods she'll soon let you
    know what she likes and dislikes. You may find her 'eyeing off' your
    dinner (I often did) and giving her a sample of something in an
    appropriate texture may well open her horizons some more. You're
    doing a great job of raising your beautiful little girl.

    Aramanth

    Thanks, Aramanth. I'm doing the best that I can. I am fortunate to be able
    to keep her with me even when I go to work (though that may change soon).

    Your best is obviously very good, judging by how wonderful she looks
    in the photos.

    Quoted message said:

    I do notice that Morgan watches me eat. I often wonder if she is ready.
    Today I gave her a sippy cup with a bit of water in it to see if she would
    know what to do and she did! I was shocked.

    That's often one of the first signs. The baby might not actually WANT
    the food yet, but she's watching to see what you do with it.

    It's amazing how early on a baby can manage a cup. When I was working
    with the Lac consultants trying to increase my supply, they suggested
    I cup-feed Athena supplemental feeds to avoid nipple confusion. It
    was just incredible to watch this TINY dot (she was only 4 lb when I
    brought her home from hospital at 4 weeks old) manage to sip milk from
    the cup (initially a sterilised medicine cup!) that I held for her.

    Quoted message said:

    She skipped over bottles completely. She won't take a pacifier, either. I
    never knew babies could actually be raised without a bottle.

    Mine DID have bottles, mainly because it took too long to get a full
    cup-feed into them and I simply had to accept after months of trying
    everything I could think of, and everything that the doctors and lac
    consultants could think of I just wasn't making enough milk. I had
    the same problem with Ishtar and she was full term (on her due date,
    even).

    Neither of mine would use a pacifier. They'd spit it out and look at
    me in horror! When Athena was about a week old and they were trying
    her on the few dribbles of expressed colostrum I could get they would
    run a narrow naso-gastric tube through her nose into her stomach, put
    a few drops of warm milk on a tiny pacifier and pop that in her mouth
    while they fed her via the tube. The idea was that it would get her
    used to suckling and the taste of milk and associating this with a
    full tummy. It didn't work (she HATED that pacifier) but she would
    happily suckle my (empty) breast until it ached.

    Quoted message said:

    I want to raise her to eat whole real foods and to live an active lifestyle.
    I do not want her to have to deal with weight problems.

    I've found that if *I* eat whole, real foods and my girls see me
    eating them, they tend to do the same. Junk food like chips, candy
    and the like are not forbidden but they just prefer not to make those
    choices. Since they don't see me or their Daddy chowing down on lots
    of junk while watching TV they don't see the point of it either.

    They have not had to deal with weight problems - but I've noticed that
    they are frequently more gentle with classmates who DO have weight
    problems than some other kids. Maybe growing up with a Mum who
    struggles daily has given them some compassion. Or maybe growing up
    with a Mum who might be heavier than most but is also THE most active
    helper in either of their classes is the key. They have learned that
    to be fat but a nice person is better than being thin but unpleasant
    to know.

    Quoted message said:

    You never stop thinking when you are a mom. It's a fantastic experience for
    me.
    ~Carol Ann

    It just gets better, Carol Ann. Wait until Morgan starts telling you
    about the world as she sees it. Wait until she wants to dance with
    you. Wait until that magical day when she winds her arms around your
    neck and says "Love you, Mommie" for the first time! I literally
    sobbed with joy the first time I heard that one from the soft, warm
    armful I was carrying.

    My girls have taught me SO much about the world as they grow. I would
    not have missed this experience of Motherhood for anything even if
    some days they do drive me to distraction.

    Aramanth

  3. jk said:


    "Stan Marks" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, all...

    Our little boy is six months old and appears ready for solid foods. (He
    has been exclusively breast-fed until now.) His pediatrician has
    recommended starting him on cereals, but we do not think that cereals
    are good choices for a baby's first solid foods, so we are wondering if
    any of you would share your experiences and recommendations on the
    subject. Links to web sites would be appreciated.

    TIA,

    Stan Marks

    The latest reports say to breast feed as long as a year.

    But not exclusively breast feed. Between 6 and 8 months they develop
    to the point where they can manage solids. If you don't start to
    introduce them at this point (ALONGSIDE breast milk) there can be
    problems with them developing their chewing and swallowing reflexes as
    opposed to sucking and swallowing. This is what the lactation
    consultants told me, anyway.

    Aramanth

  4. jamie said:
    jk said:


    The latest reports say to breast feed as long as a year.

    But were the reports written by women with babies who'd grown
    teeth?

    My babies never bit me. I breastfed for up to 1-2 years (some,
    longer) and I had 4 babies, including a 30-weeker preemie. I can't say
    'never' bit me, I think I may have got bit a few times.

    By the way, "one year" seems (IMHO YMMV etc etc etc) to be an awfully PC
    recommendation in our squeamish "never come right out and say it"
    culture. There are some cultures that don't wean from the breast until
    5 years or so.

  5. In article <QXCRc.271022$Oq2.241306@attbi_s52>,

    Carol Ann said:
    Quoted message said:

    Carol Ann, when Morgan starts in on solid foods she'll soon let you
    know what she likes and dislikes. You may find her 'eyeing off' your
    dinner (I often did) and giving her a sample of something in an
    appropriate texture may well open her horizons some more. You're
    doing a great job of raising your beautiful little girl.

    Aramanth

    Thanks, Aramanth. I'm doing the best that I can. I am fortunate to be able
    to keep her with me even when I go to work (though that may change soon).

    My wife is a graduate student at a local university working on a
    doctorate in chemistry. She only took one course and taught one lab
    during the spring semester and has been able to keep Ian with her during
    the day. The people she works with have been very supportive and have
    provided a rather large "extended family". 🙂

    I was somewhat concerned, at first, that being around so many people
    might expose him to various germs and viruses, but the little guy has
    never had so much as a sniffle, so far, and he seems to be a very happy,
    congenial, and well-adjusted baby.

    Quoted message said:

    She skipped over bottles completely. She won't take a pacifier, either. I
    never knew babies could actually be raised without a bottle.

    Ian has never taken a pacifier, either, and the only bottles he's had
    were when he was just a few days old and Giselle's milk production
    hadn't really kicked in, yet.

    Quoted message said:


    I want to raise her to eat whole real foods and to live an active lifestyle.
    I do not want her to have to deal with weight problems.

    Same here!

    Stan

  6. x-no-archive: yes

    Quoted message said:

    The latest reports say to breast feed as long as a year.

    --
    JK Sinrod

    They always have, but not exclusively!

    I breastfed one year, but introduced solid foods at 6 mos.

    Susan

  7. Susan said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    Quoted message said:

    The latest reports say to breast feed as long as a year.

    --
    JK Sinrod

    They always have, but not exclusively!

    One of the funniest remarks people have made with my children after the
    age of 1: "You're still breastfeeding? I thought she was on solid food
    now?"

  8. x-no-archive: yes

    Quoted message said:


    One of the funniest remarks people have made with my children after the
    age of 1: "You're still breastfeeding? I thought she was on solid food
    now?"

    Ask them if they ever have a drink with or between meals. Or give their kids a
    glass of milk? :-)

    I never scheduled breastfeedings, but my baby made a very regular schedule by
    choice. Breakfast, lunch, late afternoon and bedtime BF.

    Susan

  9. I tried to breastfeed my daughter. However, she would have NO part of it.
    I couldn't get her to latch on, despite help from the nurses. It might be
    due to the fact that she was 3 weeks overdue, and a huge baby at 9lbs.,
    14oz. My son, on the other hand, knew what to do right away. DH always
    bragged, 'That's my boy' LOL! But when the family doctor checked him at a
    week old, he had lost weight and we discovered that I wasn't producing milk,
    only colostrum. So I gradually switched him to formula at about 2-3 weeks
    old.

    --
    Linda
    296/208/160
    LC since Oct. 13, 2003
    http://home.att.net/~lewis_linda/index.html

    "Carol Ann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:aSCRc.272368$XM6.101630@attbi_s53...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I applaud your resolve not to feed Morgan solids until she is 6 months


    old.

    Quoted message said:

    My MIL was babysitting my daughter (firstborn) when she was a couple of
    months old. SHE started giving my daughter cereal, mixed in her bottle


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    formula to thicken it, when she was about 2 months old. Her reasoning


    was

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that she would take an 8oz. bottle and be hungry again in 2 hours. And


    like

    Quoted message said:

    the inexperienced mom I was, I let MIL do it. Sometimes I wonder if


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    could have anything to do with her obesity.

    Was your firstborn breastfed? I read this at askdrsears.com:

    Breastfeeding prevents obesity. Even in infancy, breastfed babies as a


    group

    Quoted message said:

    are leaner than their formula-fed peers. Studies have shown that children
    who are breastfed are less likely to be obese during adolescence, and that
    longer periods of breastfeeding greatly reduce the risk of being


    overweight

    Quoted message said:

    in adulthood. Overweight children are more likely to become overweight
    adults. Since breastfed babies themselves control how much they eat (aided
    by the changes in fat levels during a feeding session), children who are
    breastfed learn to trust their bodies' signals about how much they need to
    eat and when. This builds healthy eating habits right from the start.
    Although parents might urge a formula-fed baby to finish up the last ounce
    or two of milk in the bottle, you can't do this to a breastfed baby. When
    she's done, she's done!

    Also, great info here: http://askdrsears.com/html/4/T043700.asp#T043705

    ~Carol Ann

  10. Stan Marks <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, all...

    Our little boy is six months old and appears ready for solid foods. (He
    has been exclusively breast-fed until now.) His pediatrician has
    recommended starting him on cereals, but we do not think that cereals
    are good choices for a baby's first solid foods, so we are wondering if
    any of you would share your experiences and recommendations on the
    subject. Links to web sites would be appreciated.

    TIA,

    Stan Marks

    lard

  11. "jamie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jk said:


    The latest reports say to breast feed as long as a year.

    But were the reports written by women with babies who'd grown
    teeth?

    Hahaha.... you remind me of the day my poor wife stopped the pump!

    --
    JK Sinrod
    Sinrod Stained Glass Studios
    www.sinrodstudios.com
    Coney Island Memories
    www.sinrodstudios.com/coneymemories

  12. "Aramanth Dawe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I do notice that Morgan watches me eat. I often wonder if she is ready.
    Today I gave her a sippy cup with a bit of water in it to see if she would
    know what to do and she did! I was shocked.

    That's often one of the first signs. The baby might not actually WANT
    the food yet, but she's watching to see what you do with it.

    I started Madison on some solids over the past week - she loves it. She's a
    hungry baby, we have her on casein-based formula (slower to digest, so makes
    them feel fuller longer). Even with this, she wants fed every 2 hours
    during the day, although she sleeps for long periods through the night. We
    tried giving her more formula in a feed, and she wouldn't finish it, but
    still wanted fed 2 hours later. So I tried a little baby rice, which she
    didn't seem to like the feel of, even though I mixed it with her milk. She
    did eat it though. Then I tried pureed pears, and apples (canned baby
    food), which she loves! Her mouth opens as soon as she sees the spoon.
    She's also noticing what we eat now. She gets full now which is good.
    Whatever I do give her, it won't contain any sugar or sweeteners. And I'd
    eventually like to lead her towards low-GI foods.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You never stop thinking when you are a mom. It's a fantastic experience
    for
    me.
    ~Carol Ann

    It just gets better, Carol Ann. Wait until Morgan starts telling you
    about the world as she sees it. Wait until she wants to dance with
    you. Wait until that magical day when she winds her arms around your
    neck and says "Love you, Mommie" for the first time! I literally
    sobbed with joy the first time I heard that one from the soft, warm
    armful I was carrying.
    Aramanth

    I'm looking forward to this 🙂

    --
    Tara
    Mum to Madison 28 March 2004 - my 29th birthday
    www.dazzled.com/lowcarb - my lowcarb story
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tjharris/ - pics of Madison
    New Zealand

  13. Stan Marks <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Our little boy is six months old and appears ready for solid foods. (He
    has been exclusively breast-fed until now.) His pediatrician has
    recommended starting him on cereals, but we do not think that cereals
    are good choices for a baby's first solid foods, so we are wondering if
    any of you would share your experiences and recommendations on the
    subject. Links to web sites would be appreciated.


    My son Gray-Hawk, after weaning himself at one year, ate almost
    nothing but Pemmican until he was about two years old. He was given
    water-downed fruit or water as a beverage. He did like to teethe on
    pork rinds but never ate them regularly.

    Today at nine, he is in the gifted program at his school, athletic (
    swims like a fish🙂, and has already started selling his artwork to
    his class-mates. He likes sliced strawberries for breakfast and 2
    hamburger patties for lunch. His favorite food is smoked pork ribs.

    He stopped eating pemmican at age five when his class-mates accused
    him of eating mud. People can be so prejudiced against
    Native-American ways.

    Ray Audette
    Author "NeanderThin"
    www.NeanderThin.com

  14. That is so cool! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. If and when I do have
    children I hope to raise them the same way.

    Quoted message said:

    My son Gray-Hawk, after weaning himself at one year, ate almost
    nothing but Pemmican until he was about two years old. He was given
    water-downed fruit or water as a beverage. He did like to teethe on
    pork rinds but never ate them regularly.

    Today at nine, he is in the gifted program at his school, athletic (
    swims like a fish🙂, and has already started selling his artwork to
    his class-mates. He likes sliced strawberries for breakfast and 2
    hamburger patties for lunch. His favorite food is smoked pork ribs.

    He stopped eating pemmican at age five when his class-mates accused
    him of eating mud. People can be so prejudiced against
    Native-American ways.

    Ray Audette
    Author "NeanderThin"
    www.NeanderThin.com

  15. Quoted message said:

    It just gets better, Carol Ann. Wait until Morgan starts telling you
    about the world as she sees it. Wait until she wants to dance with
    you. Wait until that magical day when she winds her arms around your
    neck and says "Love you, Mommie" for the first time! I literally
    sobbed with joy the first time I heard that one from the soft, warm
    armful I was carrying.

    My girls have taught me SO much about the world as they grow. I would
    not have missed this experience of Motherhood for anything even if
    some days they do drive me to distraction.

    Aramanth

    I am so looking forward to the day I hear her say those words. I was pretty
    excited when she smiled the first time, when she looked directly into my
    eyes, when she stopped crying as I held her, when her teeth came in.......ah
    heck, I'm excited by it all!

    By the way, she had her check up yesterday. She is 26.5" tall, which puts
    her in the 96th percentile. She weighs 16lbs 11 oz....somewhere around the
    86th percentile. Amazing!!

    I will hold off on solids for as long as I can. I'm anticipating the 6
    month mark. No sense in starting them now.

    ~Carol Ann

  16. Teeth already?!! I'm definitely not looking forward to that. Sounds like
    she's doing great.

    --
    Tara
    Mum to Madison 28 March 2004 - my 29th birthday
    www.dazzled.com/lowcarb - my lowcarb story
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tjharris/ - pics of Madison
    New Zealand

    "Carol Ann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:B8CSc.291395$XM6.135149@attbi_s53...

    Quoted message said:

    I am so looking forward to the day I hear her say those words. I was
    pretty
    excited when she smiled the first time, when she looked directly into my
    eyes, when she stopped crying as I held her, when her teeth came
    in.......ah
    heck, I'm excited by it all!

    By the way, she had her check up yesterday. She is 26.5" tall, which puts
    her in the 96th percentile. She weighs 16lbs 11 oz....somewhere around
    the
    86th percentile. Amazing!!

    I will hold off on solids for as long as I can. I'm anticipating the 6
    month mark. No sense in starting them now.

    ~Carol Ann

  17. Hello Stan,

    The first solid food my baby had was black rice - steamed, then
    blended with EBM. Later on, you can add fruit (apples, pears, bananas)
    - my DD (today 10 months old) loves it.

    Elly
    breastfeeding mom of a 10mo, following the balanced low carb WOE
    Mid July 2004: 195.8 / 185.9 / mini-goal by August 20th:
    184.8 (to 187 lbs- reached)
    sometime in the (distant) future: 150 lbs

    Stan Marks <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, all...

    Our little boy is six months old and appears ready for solid foods. (He
    has been exclusively breast-fed until now.) His pediatrician has
    recommended starting him on cereals, but we do not think that cereals
    are good choices for a baby's first solid foods, so we are wondering if
    any of you would share your experiences and recommendations on the
    subject. Links to web sites would be appreciated.

    TIA,

    Stan Marks

  18. In message <[email hidden]>, jamie
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    jk said:


    The latest reports say to breast feed as long as a year.

    But were the reports written by women with babies who'd grown
    teeth?

    <delurk>

    AIUI, the WHO recommends breastfeeding for two years.

    Teeth are not a problem if the baby is latched on correctly. Trust me
    on this. Froggie has twelve teeth, I am still (just about) nursing at
    19 months, and the least of my problems is her existing teeth.

    </delurk>
    --
    Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, Mogget
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, jamie
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    jk said:


    The latest reports say to breast feed as long as a year.

    But were the reports written by women with babies who'd grown
    teeth?

    Oh, gosh, yes. I fed my son till 16 months and my daughter till nearly
    3 years. More biting IMHO happens when the teeth are still inside the
    gums than when out.

    Any baby can be taught not to bite if you just take it off the [censored] when
    it bites.
    --
    Jane Lumley

  20. Don't underestimate the benefits to you, the mom, of nursing for that extra
    time. The larger your child, the more their nutritional requirements and the
    more fat you burn without having to diet or exercise.

    My second kid--the one who loved to nurse--fired me when he was a year old,
    but by then he was about 30 lbs and had nursed off the pregnancy weight.

    -- Jenny - Low Carbing for 4 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
    hba1c 5.7 .
    Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

    Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
    http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

    Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

    Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
    Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly%20Diagnosed.htm

    "Jane Lumley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Mogget
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, jamie
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    jk <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    > The latest reports say to breast feed as long as a year.

    But were the reports written by women with babies who'd grown
    teeth?

    Oh, gosh, yes. I fed my son till 16 months and my daughter till nearly
    3 years. More biting IMHO happens when the teeth are still inside the
    gums than when out.

    Any baby can be taught not to bite if you just take it off the [censored] when
    it bites.
    --
    Jane Lumley

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.