First solo century

BHSpeedrom7

Mar 6, 2012
I have just completed my first solo century after a year of road biking, :)101 miles and my total riding time was 5hrs: 32 mins, excluding stops, including stops it was 6hrs:30 mins, is this a good time and what category would it put me in, in terms of cat 1 cat 2 etc, it was quite a few hills but nothing too Bad.

That'll put you just under 18.4mph - so Cat4 / Cat5 territory...

... that said, you can't really take that as an indication of how you'd fare in shorter race. You might be the next God's gift to crit racers who'd win most Cat 3 crits or (4 or 5 for that matter) and would struggle terribly to finish 100miles in 5 hours.

That said, I hold a Cat 4 license and I just completed a 240+ mile ride (400km) with an average of 18.4mph and that included some decidedly lumpy terrain for about 1/3 of the course.

Certainly a strong showing for 1 year of riding, but unfortunately probably not too competitive in the race world. Depends on your age, etc.

We're in a similar boat - 3 years of road riding, typical century time (including stops) for a course with 5-7k of vert is 5:15+/-.. I'm mid 50's and not competitive with the top local guys in my age group when it comes to crits and TT. My typical TT average (non-aero) is around 22mph (22km hilly) - 24mph (16km flat) ... theirs 27-29mph. I have a USAC license but am not ranked - would be cat 5.

Hey, at least we're riding. :)

Categories are also based on more than just speed. Other factors such as skill levels are involved.

Everyone stsrts in Cat5 and moves up based on how they finish.

If you can get a couple guys to work with you at races, you should do well in Cat5 and Cat4. Cat3 is more or less state level and most of those guys are smart enough to work with others.

---

Lots of guys who do not race can do 100 miles in 5 hours +/- solo (including stops). Many every weekend.

If you can do 100 miles in 5:30 including 1 short stop (that may only take planning), you are better than most who race locally.

I came on this board to research a similar question. I completed a 70.3 mile ride last weekend in 3:20:28 total time so my average speed was 21mph including stops though I will admit the only time I stopped was for stop lights and there were a few. I have a 35 mile loop that I do on a regular basis and have recently completed that in 1:30 total time so 23.3mph average speed..I'm 35 years old and have been road cycling for less than 3 months so I thought I did pretty well for a completely solo ride. My ride was in central nj so not nearly as hilly as many other peoples rides but there were plenty of decent climbs. This weekend I plan on completing a 100 mile ride in under 5 hours total time. I am working toward becoming competative in races so I'm always looking around to see what other people are doing. Every ride is different though so I should really invest in a power monitor and check my progress that way.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Categories are also based on more than just speed. Other factors such as skill levels are involved.
One can upgrade to Cat3 on experience alone. After that I believe points are needed.

Results are also based on more than just speed. I'm a lazy guy, but I have the benefit of six seasons in my legs. Most riders in my Category are stronger than me. I finished dead last in my last TT, I was beaten by some Cat5's too. Yet I still somehow routinely manage top 10's and 20's in my area Cat4 races, and they pretty much always start with the maximum number of riders at 110.

If one wants to race they should just do it. I've met many competent riders who always seem to be training for their first race, they want to come in as one of the stronger riders, but somehow never take the plunge. Fear of failure? Success? Who knows, but one never knows until one tries.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

One can upgrade to Cat3 on experience alone. After that I believe points are needed.

Results are also based on more than just speed. I'm a lazy guy, but I have the benefit of six seasons in my legs. Most riders in my Category are stronger than me. I finished dead last in my last TT, I was beaten by some Cat5's too. Yet I still somehow routinely manage top 10's and 20's in my area Cat4 races, and they pretty much always start with the maximum number of riders at 110.

If one wants to race they should just do it. I've met many competent riders who always seem to be training for their first race, they want to come in as one of the stronger riders, but somehow never take the plunge. Fear of failure? Success? Who knows, but one never knows until one tries.
Yep, the guy that beats me can brag that he beat an old guy or he has to tell his momma an old guy kicked his butt.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Yep, the guy that beats me can brag that he beat an old guy or he has to tell his momma an old guy kicked his butt.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif