first spd pedals

cheezmonster

Jun 13, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, so a very brief intro before my question. A little while ago my crappy old hybrid that I rode to work and back was stolen and I decided to replace it with a road bike. I'm looking to build up to racing a triathlon and I've recently decided it's time to switch to spd pedals.

I've bought some Shimano M515s with the SM-PD22 platforms on. I thought the platforms would be quite useful since my road bike is my only bike and I need to commute 10 minutes to and from work every day and don't want to faff with taking extra shoes with me. I gather from another thread on here that these platforms are sold as a legal requirement and the general feeling is they're no good for riding on. If that's true then are there other, better-made platforms that would do the job or have I bought the wrong pedals?

I could always just take my skateboard to work! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Shimano A520's - SPD compatible is my recommendation.

Big platform, solidly built, yet light pedal. Good with just sneakers or with mountain bike spd-cleated shoes.

$40-50 through most mail order places, a little more at your local bike shop.

There are of course more options.