First test ride on USS Giro

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tcl, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Tcl

    Tcl Guest

    Well, I gave it a go today, and unfortunately, the stem is slightly too short and the bars just the
    slightest bit too wide an angle for an effective position.

    Tiller was noticable, but only significant at very low speeds ... less than 5mph. At higher speeds,
    it was very nice, even if I was scooching forward for the bars a tiny bit. Indeed, it did lower the
    COG and seemed to make it even more manuverable *and* stable while climbing the extreme grades in my
    hood at the same time... weird. And as I noticed on my trike, I can breathe more easily and deeply
    with my hands at my sides. I also think I like the Supinated hand position as opposed to the
    "hitchhiker" hand position...

    It was a bit more tricky to get going uphill on a good line, but I suspect this is a learning curve
    issue... and this was on a good (10%) grade. But hey, I didn;t do the predicted Artie Johnson. I
    did, however, find that if I slammed on the breaks while unclipping both feet, that i was suddenly
    standing on the roadway with a 53T Chainring stabbing me in the inside of my thigh. I am sure it
    looked more deliberate than it felt... This would have been a real unhappy landing on a DF bike, so
    who am I to complain?

    Back to the drawing board. I need a longer stem. It there anyone out there with an HPVelotechnic
    Street machine who can tell me if their stem is a 1"? If so, how long is it in mm? Maybe I can buy
    one off them. I would even be willing to start calling it "een legfiets" if they would give me a
    good deal...

    I am thinking that if I can find a 180mm or so stem, I can make this a really sweet setup. The other
    option is to buy a steel pipe style stem, cut it and splice a bit more tube onto it.

    My first impression is that the Giro has the making of a really good USS bike.

    Randy Niere.

    Tags:

  2. Tcl

[...]

  3. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    No chance of a steering linkage?

    tcl wrote:
    > Well, I gave it a go today, and unfortunately, the stem is slightly too short and the bars just
    > the slightest bit too wide an angle for an effective position.
    >
    > Tiller was noticable, but only significant at very low speeds ... less than 5mph. At higher
    > speeds, it was very nice, even if I was scooching forward for the bars a tiny bit. Indeed, it did
    > lower the COG and seemed to make it even more manuverable *and* stable while climbing the extreme
    > grades in my hood at the same time... weird. And as I noticed on my trike, I can breathe more
    > easily and deeply with my hands at my sides. I also think I like the Supinated hand position as
    > opposed to the "hitchhiker" hand position...
    >
    > It was a bit more tricky to get going uphill on a good line, but I suspect this is a learning
    > curve issue... and this was on a good (10%) grade. But hey, I didn;t do the predicted Artie
    > Johnson. I did, however, find that if I slammed on the breaks while unclipping both feet, that i
    > was suddenly standing on the roadway with a 53T Chainring stabbing me in the inside of my thigh. I
    > am sure it looked more deliberate than it felt... This would have been a real unhappy landing on a
    > DF bike, so who am I to complain?
    >
    > Back to the drawing board. I need a longer stem. It there anyone out there with an HPVelotechnic
    > Street machine who can tell me if their stem is a 1"? If so, how long is it in mm? Maybe I can buy
    > one off them. I would even be willing to start calling it "een legfiets" if they would give me a
    > good deal...
    >
    > I am thinking that if I can find a 180mm or so stem, I can make this a really sweet setup. The
    > other option is to buy a steel pipe style stem, cut it and splice a bit more tube onto it.
    >
    > My first impression is that the Giro has the making of a really good USS bike.
    >
    > Randy Niere.

  4. Paul Bruneau

  5. "tcl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Back to the drawing board. I need a longer stem. It there anyone out there with an HPVelotechnic
    > Street machine who can tell me if their stem is a 1"? If so, how long is it in mm? Maybe I can buy
    > one off them. I would even be willing to start calling it "een legfiets" if they would give me a
    > good deal...
    >
    > I am thinking that if I can find a 180mm or so stem, I can make this a really sweet setup. The
    > other option is to buy a steel pipe style stem, cut it and splice a bit more tube onto it.

    Often times custom steel frame builders also make stems. Usually around $100.

    > My first impression is that the Giro has the making of a really good USS bike.
    >
    > Randy Niere.

  6. Bentheadswb

    Bentheadswb Guest

    >Back to the drawing board. I need a longer stem. It there anyone out there
    with an HPVelotechnic Street machine who can
    >tell me if their stem is a 1"?

    I think they use a 1 1/8th from what I know. Salsa Cycles will make a stem for you with whatever
    angles or length you need (even 180mm) Here is their link: http://www.salsacycles.com/index1.htm I
    use a U-bar USS setup myself, love the direct feel and great view it gives. John H N TX

  7. "tcl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Back to the drawing board. I need a longer stem. It there anyone out there with an HPVelotechnic
    > Street machine who can tell me if their stem is a 1"? If so, how long is it in mm? Maybe I can buy
    > one off them. I would even be willing to start calling it "een legfiets" if they would give me a
    > good deal...
    >
    > I am thinking that if I can find a 180mm or so stem, I can make this a really sweet setup. The
    > other option is to buy a steel pipe style stem, cut it and splice a bit more tube onto it.

    Often times custom steel frame builders also make stems. Usually around $100.

    > My first impression is that the Giro has the making of a really good USS bike.
    >
    > Randy Niere.

  8. Bentheadswb

    Bentheadswb Guest

    >Back to the drawing board. I need a longer stem. It there anyone out there
    with an HPVelotechnic Street machine who can
    >tell me if their stem is a 1"?

    I think they use a 1 1/8th from what I know. Salsa Cycles will make a stem for you with whatever
    angles or length you need (even 180mm) Here is their link: http://www.salsacycles.com/index1.htm I
    use a U-bar USS setup myself, love the direct feel and great view it gives. John H N TX

  9. Tcl

    Tcl Guest

    Paul Bruneau wrote:
    > No chance of a steering linkage?

    That is Chris Crawford's project, and I am interested in how it works for him. I figured that I
    would try the "direct approach" and we could compare notes.

    However, if you have been following the threads so far, you will note that the teardrop shape of the
    tube question was handled by using the George Reynolds seat post design... It should work just fine.

    Randy

  10. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (BentHeadSWB) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >>Back to the drawing board. I need a longer stem. It there anyone out there
    > with an HPVelotechnic Street machine who can
    >>tell me if their stem is a 1"?
    >
    > I think they use a 1 1/8th from what I know. Salsa Cycles will make a stem for you with whatever
    > angles or length you need (even 180mm) Here is their link: http://www.salsacycles.com/index1.htm I
    > use a U-bar USS setup myself, love the direct feel and great view it

    Going by your pictures, and my own USS experience, I think that you are going to have mucho tiller
    because the Giro has the seat further from the fork than say the StreetMachine or Optima Dragon. In
    this case, linkage is the way to go, IMHO. If your hands end up near the steering axis, the tiller
    would be reduced to nil, as on the aforementioned bikes. Unless you have arms like an orangutan, I
    don't see that happening on the Giro...

    rorschandt

  11. Tcl

    Tcl Guest

    Paul Bruneau wrote:
    > No chance of a steering linkage?

    That is Chris Crawford's project, and I am interested in how it works for him. I figured that I
    would try the "direct approach" and we could compare notes.

    However, if you have been following the threads so far, you will note that the teardrop shape of the
    tube question was handled by using the George Reynolds seat post design... It should work just fine.

    Randy

  12. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (BentHeadSWB) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >>Back to the drawing board. I need a longer stem. It there anyone out there
    > with an HPVelotechnic Street machine who can
    >>tell me if their stem is a 1"?
    >
    > I think they use a 1 1/8th from what I know. Salsa Cycles will make a stem for you with whatever
    > angles or length you need (even 180mm) Here is their link: http://www.salsacycles.com/index1.htm I
    > use a U-bar USS setup myself, love the direct feel and great view it

    Going by your pictures, and my own USS experience, I think that you are going to have mucho tiller
    because the Giro has the seat further from the fork than say the StreetMachine or Optima Dragon. In
    this case, linkage is the way to go, IMHO. If your hands end up near the steering axis, the tiller
    would be reduced to nil, as on the aforementioned bikes. Unless you have arms like an orangutan, I
    don't see that happening on the Giro...

    rorschandt

  13. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    direct vs. linkage? I actually prefer the direct steer, if set up properly i.e. Streetmachine
    or Turner.

  14. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    direct vs. linkage? I actually prefer the direct steer, if set up properly i.e. Streetmachine
    or Turner.

  15. Tcl

    Tcl Guest

    bentbiker wrote:
    > direct vs. linkage? I actually prefer the direct steer, if set up properly i.e. Streetmachine
    > or Turner.

    I am glad, I thought I was weird... It gives you an even more "in touch" feel of the road than even
    the OSS setup, IMO.

    Randy N.

  16. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    stick with it Randy, a very experience rider usually adapts well to tiller etc. better tiller
    than twitchy.

  17. Tcl

    Tcl Guest

    bentbiker wrote:
    > direct vs. linkage? I actually prefer the direct steer, if set up properly i.e. Streetmachine
    > or Turner.

    I am glad, I thought I was weird... It gives you an even more "in touch" feel of the road than even
    the OSS setup, IMO.

    Randy N.

  18. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    stick with it Randy, a very experience rider usually adapts well to tiller etc. better tiller
    than twitchy.

  19. Don

    Don Guest

    Randy, If you need a custom stem built, try a local builder first. I had a custom stem made by Salsa
    once. They did not get it right and said it was my fault. My local bike shop had helped me spec it
    but Salsa talked a different language and built a stem completely different from the stock stem we
    told them was the reference that we were trying to slightly modify the angle on. There was no
    comparison between the two stems. They were completely arrogant and impossible to deal with. Even
    ignoring the wrong dimensions, the stem was heavy and ugly beyond belief. To this day, I will not
    buy any Salsa product.

  20. Don