First time bike builder

Spencer Hansen

Jun 23, 2012
So I begin medical residency next week but needed a year-long hobby every full moon I have off. So I'm putting together a road bike. I started by buying a frame. It's baby blue with a chrome fork and looks awfully similar to the 1974 Professional Mark IV Raleigh road bike. It has a headset. The specs say I need a Campagnolo Nuovo Record Cotterless crankset. What bottom bracket should i get? and can I get a newer-one or do i need one specific to that bike? The bracket shell is 68 mm. Any input would be great. I'm not necessarily looking to rebuild with original parts but with whatever works fine. Thanks.
Happy trails...
btw, i know it's the raleigh b/c it still has the made in nottingham tag and original paint job.

Go to your bike shop and tell them what you want. They will be able to source you a BB that will fit your bike. Tell them that you are going to use Campy Nuovo Record cotterless cranks so you will need a spindle with square tapered ends. Also tell them that the bike has English Threads. All Nottingham Raleighs had English Threads. They will probably end up getting you a modern sealed bearing BB and it will work for you.

You can also look on eBay for a BB. Just make sure that it has English Threads. Also make sure that the spindle has square tapered ends. You don't need to worry about the shell size as all of the English Threaded BBs were the same size when they stopped using square tapered spindles. If you want to be original, get a cup and cone BB, however, if you want to have less maintenance, get a sealed bearing BB. Also take your frame to your LBS and have them face and tap your BB. It might be a good idea to remove your headset and have them face the head tube too. British Raleigh only faced and tapped their highest end frames and unless yours is actually a Professional frame, chances are it has never been done.