First time in London after C-day

Anthony Campbel

Guest
Today I went into central London (Waterloo from Southgate) for the first time since the introduction
of congestion charging. There certainly were fewer cars than usual but those that were there were,
not surprisingly, going faster and the standard of driving was worse; I had 3 near misses and at
that speed they would have been serious.

Verdict: congestion charging has made riding in London more dangerous than it used to be. I don't
think the clearer streets compensate for this.

AC

--
<<|
_________ ,___o / \ __________ _\ <;_ / \ OCD Cycloclimbing ___________ (_)/ (_) / \
http://www.ocd.org.uk

"Anthony Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Today I went into central London (Waterloo from Southgate) for the first time since the
> introduction of congestion charging. There certainly were fewer cars than usual but those that
> were there were, not surprisingly, going faster and the standard of driving was worse; I had 3
> near misses and at that speed they would have been serious.
>
> Verdict: congestion charging has made riding in London more dangerous than it used to be. I don't
> think the clearer streets compensate for this.

I think the lack of traffic this week has been put down to half-term but apparently it's down on a
normal half-term. Next Monday will be the 1st true test. Anyway it's raising lots of cash and
hopefully making people rethink their travel options and as soon as the cash starts getting in to
the tube and bus system I might not even mind on the odd day when I have to leave my bike at home.

> Verdict: congestion charging has made riding in London more dangerous than it used to be. I don't
> think the clearer streets compensate for this.

Actually, after being such a fan on Day One, I'm coming 'round to the fact that there will be almost
as many cars on the road in a few weeks' time. They stayed away because they were expecting chaos;
chaos didn't happen, so they're coming back, slowly, now. The Aldwych was nearly back up to its
wonderful busy self today.

But on the whole, the streets are less crowded, and I'm a bit happier. Makes taking the lane a bit
easier--i get to stay clear of the worst of the near-side potholes, ruts, etc. But the increase in
speed makes lane-changing marginally trickier.

Still, the clear weather is doing a lot to increase my general outlook on two wheeled life in the
C-zone....*grin*

-Luigi de Guzman (Usual run: Bankside to Aldwych/Kingsway, all inside the czone. nah, wait, c-zone.
czone makes it look Polish: 'chone'...)

Raising more cash - Most of the early years money goes towards the cameras and infrastructure and
not forgetting Capita's shareholders

"Stephen (aka steford)" <steford.usenetR_e_M_o_V_e@S_p_A_Mntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Anthony Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Today I went into central London (Waterloo from Southgate) for the first time since the
> > introduction of congestion charging. There certainly were fewer cars than usual but those that
> > were there were, not surprisingly, going faster and the standard of driving was worse; I had 3
> > near misses and at that speed they would have been serious.
> >
> > Verdict: congestion charging has made riding in London more dangerous than it used to be. I
> > don't think the clearer streets compensate for this.
> >
> I think the lack of traffic this week has been put down to half-term but apparently it's down on a
> normal half-term. Next Monday will be the 1st
true
> test. Anyway it's raising lots of cash and hopefully making people rethink their travel options
> and as soon as the cash starts getting in to the tube and bus system I might not even mind on the
> odd day when I have to leave
my
> bike at home.

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:41:41 GMT, Anthony Campbell scrawled: ) Verdict: congestion charging has made
riding in London more dangerous ) than it used to be.

... What: we need more cars in London to make them all observe the speed limit? Isn't there another
way? Surely?

J-P
--
The problem can't be moustaches either, quite. The top four countries for asylum seekers are
Afghanistan, Iraq, Sri Lanka, and China. Only three of those are moustache-wearing countries.

"j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:41:41 GMT, Anthony Campbell scrawled: ) Verdict: congestion charging has
> made riding in London more dangerous ) than it used to be.
>
> ... What: we need more cars in London to make them all observe the speed limit? Isn't there
> another way? Surely?

I think the argument is that we need more cars in London to make them all stop moving.

--
Dave...

On 20 Feb 2003 17:02:11 -0800, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

>Actually, after being such a fan on Day One, I'm coming 'round to the fact that there will be
>almost as many cars on the road in a few weeks' time.

That would actually be a good thing in some ways - the more cars, the more revenue to be spent on
improving the public transport infrastructure.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:29:26 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Actually, after being such a fan on Day One, I'm coming 'round to the fact that there will be
>>almost as many cars on the road in a few weeks' time.

>That would actually be a good thing in some ways - the more cars, the more revenue to be spent on
>improving the public transport infrastructure.

No it wouldn't. It would be terrible. They are planning on burning 85m each year on administration.
The investment in public transport could have been had far more cheaply.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email promoting
intelligent road safety

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:20:20 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Actually, after being such a fan on Day One, I'm coming 'round to the fact that there will be
>>>almost as many cars on the road in a few weeks' time.

>>That would actually be a good thing in some ways - the more cars, the more revenue to be spent on
>>improving the public transport infrastructure.

>No it wouldn't. It would be terrible. They are planning on burning 85m each year on administration.
>The investment in public transport could have been had far more cheaply.

Except that without the extra source of revenue none of the additional investment wouldn't be made,
obviously.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:13:32 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>That would actually be a good thing in some ways - the more cars, the more revenue to be spent on
>>>improving the public transport infrastructure.

>>No it wouldn't. It would be terrible. They are planning on burning 85m each year on
>>administration. The investment in public transport could have been had far more cheaply.

>Except that without the extra source of revenue none of the additional investment wouldn't be made,
>obviously.

Are you seriously suggesting that no other scheme could have been conceived and approved to fund
public transport improvement?
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> Are you seriously suggesting that no other scheme could have been conceived and approved to fund
> public transport improvement?

But the principle aim is not to fund public transport. That could have been done more cheaply by
raising the local & national taxes.

The main aim is to reduce congestion. Raising extra cash for PT is a benefit. (A necessary one but
none the less not the main aim of the project).

The jury is out on whether it will work.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:21:32 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

You snipped:
=================================
PS:
>>No it wouldn't. It would be terrible. They are planning on burning 85m each year on
>>administration. The investment in public transport could have been had far more cheaply.

GC:
>Except that without the extra source of revenue none of the additional investment wouldn't be made,
>obviously.
=================================

PP
>> Are you seriously suggesting that no other scheme could have been conceived and approved to fund
>> public transport improvement?

TW:
>But the principle aim is not to fund public transport. That could have been done more cheaply by
>raising the local & national taxes.

>The main aim is to reduce congestion. Raising extra cash for PT is a benefit. (A necessary one but
>none the less not the main aim of the project).

Why did you deliberately alter the context? Is that any way to conduct a discussion?

>The jury is out on whether it will work.

It certainly is.

But the verdict is inevitable. I've stuck my neck out:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/congestioncharging.html
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> No it wouldn't. It would be terrible. They are planning on burning 85m each year on
> administration. The investment in public transport could have been had far more cheaply.

Well, at least it's dropped from 120m.

Colin

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You snipped:

Errr? Losing it again Smith? I snipped extraneous previous correspondance and your sig leaving the
part I was replying to (in the best NG way)'

I have now snipped all the extraneous stuff you added.

> Why did you deliberately alter the context? Is that any way to conduct a discussion?

I didn't.

> >The jury is out on whether it will work.
>
> It certainly is.
>
> But the verdict is inevitable. I've stuck my neck out:
>
> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/congestioncharging.html

Let's hope you are wrong -- because simply 'letting the market allocate resources' -- i.e. your
'self correcting mechanism' has failed.

About the only sensible comment on you page is that those switching to motor cycles and scooters
will be at greater risk. (You could have added cyclists there as well). I suspect (though cannot
prove) that the accident rates for motorcyclists in town will be relatively lower than the average
(since speeds are lower). I suspect we will have to wait for some accident figures.

> speed cameras cost lives

Proof?? The evidence appears mixed. In Norfolk they appear to be saving lives -- See Wafflycat's
post some time back.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:22:23 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >The jury is out on whether it will work.

>> It certainly is.

>> But the verdict is inevitable. I've stuck my neck out:

>> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/congestioncharging.html

>Let's hope you are wrong -- because simply 'letting the market allocate resources' -- i.e. your
>'self correcting mechanism' has failed.

I don't agree... we've had all sorts of interference. Loss of road space, loss of parking space, bus
lanes, funny traffic light phasing etc.

In the last decade car traffic in London has fallen by 10%, but congestion has gone up by 10%.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/stats2001.pdf

Table 3, PDF Page 10

http://www.transtat.dft.gov.uk/tables/tsgb02/4/section4.htm#4.14

Table 4.14.

That's ample evidence of self regulation AND daft meddling I'd say.

>About the only sensible comment on you page is that those switching to motor cycles and scooters
>will be at greater risk. (You could have added cyclists there as well). I suspect (though cannot
>prove) that the accident rates for motorcyclists in town will be relatively lower than the average
>(since speeds are lower). I suspect we will have to wait for some accident figures.

That's not so either. Most motorcyclists are killed in town. Figures not to hand, but they are in
TSGB somewhere.

>> speed cameras cost lives

>Proof?? The evidence appears mixed. In Norfolk they appear to be saving lives -- See Wafflycat's
>post some time back.

I'm working on proof and getting closer every day.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>No it wouldn't. It would be terrible. They are planning on burning 85m each year on
> >>administration. The investment in public transport could have been had far more cheaply.
>
> >Except that without the extra source of revenue none of the additional investment wouldn't be
> >made, obviously.
>
> Are you seriously suggesting that no other scheme could have been conceived and approved to fund
> public transport improvement?

Ooooh. How about lots of speed cameras with huge fines and all the money dedicated to public
transport?

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:48:55 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Are you seriously suggesting that no other scheme could have been conceived and approved to fund
>public transport improvement?

Conceived, yes - Bob Kiley came up with an excellent and well-proven scheme: bond issue. Approved?
Not on your nelly. PFI is the only allowable route, despite its obvious stupidity.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:44:01 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Are you seriously suggesting that no other scheme could have been conceived and approved to fund
>>public transport improvement?

>Conceived, yes - Bob Kiley came up with an excellent and well-proven scheme: bond issue. Approved?
>Not on your nelly. PFI is the only allowable route, despite its obvious stupidity.

I've heard about skating on thin ice, but... <crack!> <splosh>

Hang on Guy, I'll call for help.
--

Paul Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:44:01 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Are you seriously suggesting that no other scheme could have been conceived and approved to fund
>>> public transport improvement?

>> Conceived, yes - Bob Kiley came up with an excellent and well-proven scheme: bond issue.
>> Approved? Not on your nelly. PFI is the only allowable route, despite its obvious stupidity.

> I've heard about skating on thin ice, but... <crack!> <splosh>

Ah, the good old ad hominem response. Bugger off then, old boy, and play with your random number
generator.

--
Guy
===

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:16:14 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Conceived, yes - Bob Kiley came up with an excellent and well-proven scheme: bond issue.
>>> Approved? Not on your nelly. PFI is the only allowable route, despite its obvious stupidity.

>> I've heard about skating on thin ice, but... <crack!> <splosh>

>Ah, the good old ad hominem response. Bugger off then, old boy, and play with your random number
>generator.

I thought it was rather kindly and humourous, since you assertion is so clearly 100% unsupportable.

I even offered to call for help, but you snipped that bit.