First Time Out with a new derailleur

Simonb

Guest
Did 50 miles with my new Ultegra derailleur. First expensive derailleur I've ever used.

Very nice indeed. Quick. No mis-shifts.

Simonb

(just thought I'd let you know)

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:43:35 +0100, "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> in
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Did 50 miles with my new Ultegra derailleur. First expensive derailleur I've ever used.
>
>Very nice indeed. Quick. No mis-shifts.

Is that because it's new, because it's Ultegra, or because it has only recently been adjusted?

Love and ??? from Rich x

--
A hippy goes up to a burger bar and asks the vendor, "Make me one with everything"

Stop sleeping to email me.

Richard Bates wrote:

> Is that because it's new, because it's Ultegra, or because it has only recently been adjusted?

The first two. And the third, naturally.

That's all three actually.

Simonb

In article <[email protected]>, Simonb wrote:
> Richard Bates wrote:
>
>> Is that because it's new, because it's Ultegra, or because it has only recently been adjusted?
>
> The first two. And the third, naturally.
>
> That's all three actually.

I've found my hybrid's derailleur (will learn to spell it eventually) is starting to mis-shift, and
has become harder to adjust. I have it now such that it shifts up (its a reverse pull one) nicely on
the button, but I have to pull the lever slightly further shifting down then let it drop back. I
think this is just a feature of the age of the chain, casette and everything.

- Richard

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twighlight Zone.

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Richard Bates wrote:
>
> > Is that because it's new, because it's Ultegra, or because it has only recently been adjusted?
>
> The first two. And the third, naturally.
>
> That's all three actually.

I had read that Sora shifting was just as good and the only advantage of paying more was that the
expensive kit was lighter (and had an extra gear or
2).

Frank X wrote:

> I had read that Sora shifting was just as good and the only advantage of paying more was that the
> expensive kit was lighter (and had an extra gear or 2).

oh.

well it *is* very light.

Simonb wrote:
> Did 50 miles with my new Ultegra derailleur. First expensive derailleur I've ever used.
>
> Very nice indeed. Quick. No mis-shifts.

Done a couple of hundred miles with my new Campag bottom of the range Xenon derailleur on my tourer.
First plastic derailleur I've ever used. (Well, a lot of it is plastic - but nice plastic!).

Very nice indeed. Quick. No mis-shifts. :-D

~PB

Frank X wrote:

> "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Richard Bates wrote:
>>
>> > Is that because it's new, because it's Ultegra, or because it has only recently been adjusted?
>>
>> The first two. And the third, naturally.
>>
>> That's all three actually.
>
> I had read that Sora shifting was just as good and the only advantage of paying more was that the
> expensive kit was lighter (and had an extra gear or 2).

The other difference from tiagra up is that on the levers the mechanism is slightly different so
that you can shift up and down while on the lowest peice of the drop bars whereas with sora one of
the gear levers is operated by the thumb.

Cheers Michael

All of which begs the question, 'Why does Campagnolo have SO many similar groupsets?' Record,
Chorus, Veloce, etc etc Xenon. Is there a method behind this madness, how are we all to know? I
think we should be told!

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank X wrote:
>
> > I had read that Sora shifting was just as good and the only advantage of paying more was that
> > the expensive kit was lighter (and had an extra gear or 2).
>
> oh.
>
> well it *is* very light.

It was more of a question than a statement. I was actually thinking of the Sora rear mech, it
changes gear cleanly and I can't see that there is much more it could do? (but I am very
unimaginative)

Having buggered 2 rear mechs this year the LBS always suggests that I get a more expensive
replacement, a suggestion I resist, I was just curious as to what others saw as the advantages of
more expensive kit.

Like Michael Kent points out the limitations of the Sora thumb shifters on drops. (I actually don't
mind this at all, but it is a good thing to know about).

"Richard Corfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Simonb wrote:
> > Richard Bates wrote:
> >
> >> Is that because it's new, because it's Ultegra, or because it has only recently been adjusted?
> >
> > The first two. And the third, naturally.
> >
> > That's all three actually.
>
> I've found my hybrid's derailleur (will learn to spell it eventually) is starting to mis-shift,
> and has become harder to adjust. I have it now such that it shifts up (its a reverse pull one)
> nicely on the button, but I have to pull the lever slightly further shifting down then let it drop
> back. I think this is just a feature of the age of the chain, casette and everything.
>
> - Richard
I find this is invariably a dirty/dry cable. Thorough cleaning and lubrication of the cable, plus
the actual mech and chain, restores clean changes. The Dura Ace system on my Moulton has now covered
well over 7000 miles without any replacements other than chains at about 2500 miles.

"Frank X" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Frank X wrote:
> >
> > > I had read that Sora shifting was just as good and the only advantage of paying more was that
> > > the expensive kit was lighter (and had an extra gear or 2).
> >
> > oh.
> >
> > well it *is* very light.
>
> It was more of a question than a statement. I was actually thinking of the Sora rear mech, it
> changes gear cleanly and I can't see that there is much more it could do? (but I am very
> unimaginative)

Make tea? Entertain you by juggling chainsaws? Provide simultaneous translation of Italian? Be
more durable?

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Ye hypocrites! are these your
pranks? To murder men and give God thanks? Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept

In message <[email protected]>, Michael Green
<[email protected]> writes
>All of which begs the question, 'Why does Campagnolo have SO many similar groupsets?' Record,
>Chorus, Veloce, etc etc Xenon. Is there a method behind this madness, how are we all to know? I
>think we should be told!

To encourage to you to spend 'just that little bit more' on the next one up?
--
Chris French, Leeds