first time shaving the legs

parawolf said:
eh... rather than focus on the negative of road rash; far better and a more regular activity is a massage. Soo much easier for the masseur and more comfortable for me.
I asked my Registered Massage Therapist and he disagreed. Hesaid hair did not matter - it might take just a bit more oil if the legs are hairy. I think the shaving is mostly for looks.

Everything I have heard on the subject is that Road Rash heals faster and is easier to care for. Problem is you can't shave the area while it's healing and the hair will grow through it anyway getting you back to where you started. If you are shaving over it then maybe there is an advantage if you are sadomasocistic(sp?) in which case there are probably a lot of different forums on the internet for that.:eek:

I don't do it and won't. Don't eat quiche (I prefer to call it Cassarole) either but that's just me.:cool:

Why do it? Because road rash hurts sooooooooo much less without hair in it! Its also nominally easier to clean.

Just be sure you keep up on your shaving regularly, otherwise you will continue to get bumps and major irritation. I used to steal razors and cream from my girlfriend, but now I have to buy my own!

The suggestions above about lotion etc are also very good ideas for making it more comfortable

I think everyone missed the most important reason to shave:
it makes your legs feel good against the sheets :D
Especially that first shave in the early spring - then your legs just GLIDE into bed!

When I swam competitively, we'd shave down in the shower after our last practice before the important meet. We just sat on the floor with a bar of ivory and a razor (fresh blade) and went to work. Shaved body reduced resistance and heightened the skin's sensitivity to the flow of water past it. Sort of like time trialing with silk tubulars.

oldbobcat said:
When I swam competitively, we'd shave down in the shower after our last practice before the important meet. We just sat on the floor with a bar of ivory and a razor (fresh blade) and went to work. Shaved body reduced resistance and heightened the skin's sensitivity to the flow of water past it. Sort of like time trialing with silk tubulars.
It would be kind of funny to see a hairy guy show up at a swim meet in a pair of board shorts, and beat everyone just because he was the best swimmer.

melslur said:
It would be kind of funny to see a hairy guy show up at a swim meet in a pair of board shorts, and beat everyone just because he was the best swimmer.
Well, yeah, it could happen but it doesn't work that way. When you're going against seven other guys who are all seeded within 1.5 seconds of each other, you don't have the luxury of showing up unprepared. You shave down, wear your fastest suit, and put on your best psych-out routine.

To break things up we used to handicap ourselves by doing the whole workout in the 60s equivalent of board shorts--gym shorts and a baggy sweatshirt. It was painful but good for endurance and morale.

oldbobcat said:
To break things up we used to handicap ourselves by doing the whole workout in the 60s equivalent of board shorts--gym shorts and a baggy sweatshirt. It was painful but good for endurance and morale.
Thats a heck of an outfit! I hated it when the coach had us swimming in pantyhose back in HS. Now I know not to complain ever again!

Martin Williams said:
Thats a heck of an outfit! I hated it when the coach had us swimming in pantyhose back in HS. Now I know not to complain ever again!
We came up with it ourselves. It gave the freshmen an opportunity to watch us hurt and kick our asses.