first time this year

Ed Highley

Guest
wow just got off my bike after a 5 mile ride. it was the first one this year,I wimped out this
winter because of snow and cold here in central Ohio. I know we've had some good weather recently
but Iam such a procrastinator. I started riding last year in Aug after buying a new bicycle. I want
to lose about 100-120 lbs. as Iam 5'10" and weigh about 330 lbs, up about 30 lbs that I gained over
the winter sitting on my glutes. I feel incredible, I know it was a short ride and that I only
avg.10.5 mph but I added in a couple of small hills that took the wind out of my sails, but do I
feel great. Im going to lose this weight and try to do some long rides this year. Thanks for
listening Ed

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:08:07 GMT, "Ed Highley" <[email protected]> wrote:

>wow just got off my bike after a 5 mile ride. it was the first one this year,I wimped out this
>winter because of snow and cold here in central Ohio. I know we've had some good weather recently
>but Iam such a procrastinator. I started riding last year in Aug after buying a new bicycle. I want
>to lose about 100-120 lbs. as Iam 5'10" and weigh about 330 lbs, up about 30 lbs that I gained over
>the winter sitting on my glutes. I feel incredible, I know it was a short ride and that I only
>avg.10.5 mph but I added in a couple of small hills that took the wind out of my sails, but do I
>feel great. Im going to lose this weight and try to do some long rides this year. Thanks for
>listening Ed

It gets better rapidly. I got back into riding in 1997 when I bought my first new bike in 25 years.
The first time out I rode the local paved park route.

2 miles end-end. I stopped twice to get my breath. I still marvel at how out of shape I was. By the
end of the month, I was riding that route back & forth 3-4 times for a total of about 15 miles
without being the slightest bit winded. Nowadays, 15 miles is a warmup and 30-45 miles @ about
12-14mph is pretty much the norm for a single outing. This is on a mountain bike that has been
pretty much transformed into a hybrid, with smoother tires & such.

It is pretty amazing how quickly one builds up stamina. Keep it up, its a great lifestyle.

--
Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile
when you see one tumble down the stairs.

>I want to lose about 100-120 lbs. as Iam 5'10" and weigh about 330 lbs, up about 30 lbs that I
>gained over the winter sitting on my glutes.

If anyone solves the winter weight and training blues, please let me know!!

I had the trainer in the basement complete with spinergy videos, and, with all good intents and
purposes, started doing it regularly. That lasted for a short time, and I just didn't do it anymore.
I did do my daily 2 mile walk (through snow, blizzard and cold) and did do my weight lifting
reglarly. But, it just seems that the spinning on the trainer is the most difficult.

Anyway, things are looking up. Several 20 mile rides lately, and today the wife and I did a fair
amount of cross country skiing.

Ed, you keep at it. It will be no time before you think a 20-30 mile ride is just about right.

Have fun.

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)

Well done Ed! Keep it up and before you know it the miles get easier and you build fitness &
stamina. As one who has to constantly fight the battle of the bulge, I love getting out on my bike.
I may be a fatbird, but at least I get out on my bike ;-)

Besides which, it works out cheaper than gym fees and it's much more fun :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>wow just got off my bike after a 5 mile ride. it was the first one this year,I wimped out this
>winter because of snow and cold here in central Ohio.

One thing I forgot to mention. Being Fatbirdonabike, I was out withg the local cycling club the
other week, on a training circuit. I pootled round compared to the guys, but tried my best. What was
*really nice* was the encouragement I received from the fast guys as the sailed past at great speed
:) Cries of "You go girl!" and "You can do it!" really helped to spur me on. Nice bunch.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In article <[email protected]>, Ed Highley
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I want to lose
> about 100-120 lbs.

> I feel incredible, I

THis is good.

>know it was a short ride and that I only avg.10.5 mph but I added in a couple of small hills that
>took the wind out of my sails, but do I feel great. Im going to lose this weight and try to do some
>long rides this year.

Ed,

Think more about having fun and enjoying yourself and less about loosing weight. You'll still loose
weight, but you won't see it as work. Best of luck and have fun!

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

Pete Thank you sometimes i do forget that i'am doing this for and focus on how hard it is to lose
the weight. Thanks to all who "weighed in" it makes me feel that there is alot to making this my
lifestyle. I do procrastinate so much that I tend to give up or quit something when it becomes to
hard. I will focus on enjoying and having a good time when I ride. If ever any of you are in
Lancaster Ohio let me know and we can go for a ride lol.

Hi Ed,

Glad to hear that you came out of the starting gates this year with a bang! Just keep riding and
those pounds will drop right off. As you might recall, I made my goal weight after dropping 200 lbs
and I credit alot of it to riding! Keep on keeping on!

Kelly