First time trial at 37, am I crazy?

the pistol

Nov 8, 2006
I've been reading the forums here for a while now but finally have something to add. I just did my first time trial last Sunday and it was pretty cool. I have a lot of work to do on myself (6'3" 260 lbs), and my bike (1987 Spalding Blade w/ Suntour mechanicals and *****in chrome wheels, 28lbs). I've alway loved riding bicycles but just in the last year or so realized how much I love it.
The course was flat and 10 miles total, (5 out and 5 back). There was a vicious crosswind that was little help going out and pure murder coming back. Even the guys with all the aero stuff were getting hammered. I managed to finish the course in 36 minutes. I think I could have hit 30 minutes without the wind even though my bike is anything but Aero. I hope to try some Criteriums in the Spring and maybe a century by the end of the year. I offer my encouragement to anyone who is thinking about racing to go ahead and do it. The TT was not intimidating and is really just a battle of your mind and body. I'm sure I'll get smoked when I try a Crit but it looks like I wouldn't be the first one to do that. I appreciate any tips or suggestions on training, I currently ride 4 days a week ( 10 miles 2 or 3 times on weekdays and at least one long ride on the weekend, 18 - 22 miles) Take it easy.

the pistol said:
I've been reading the forums here for a while now but finally have something to add. I just did my first time trial last Sunday and it was pretty cool. I have a lot of work to do on myself (6'3" 260 lbs), and my bike (1987 Spalding Blade w/ Suntour mechanicals and *****in chrome wheels, 28lbs). I've alway loved riding bicycles but just in the last year or so realized how much I love it.
The Suntour parts... are they Superb, Suntour Superb? That was a nice group in it's day. Brakes, der and cranks... actually, all of it was pretty nice.

Find a group to ride with before attempting a crit.

Superb in operation but not in brand name. I did find "accushift 1500" on the rear derailleur. I've got Sugino cranks and an Ertro front wheel and Rigida rear wheel. Thanks for the advice on the group ride, that is definitely on my to do list. By the way, Harley Race is the freakin man!

the pistol said:
Superb in operation but not in brand name. I did find "accushift 1500" on the rear derailleur. I've got Sugino cranks and an Ertro front wheel and Rigida rear wheel. Thanks for the advice on the group ride, that is definitely on my to do list. By the way, Harley Race is the freakin man!
Harley... I grew up in N. Fla., and wrestling was what we watched on Saturday morning. Dusty Rhodes, Ox Baker, Ray Candy, Super Star Bill Graham, The Masked Assassin, Mr. Wrestling #1 and #2, Abdula the Butcher... those were the Southern Wrestlers, the NWA.

Mid-South wrestling was my fuel for imagination growing up. Ted Dibiase was great as a face, JYD had the charisma, Randy Savage, Dutch Mantell, Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee. I could go on for hours. I actually wrestled here in Florida for a little while, under Pistol Pete Mitchell and A.T.F. Allen T. Fuhrman.

Now I've gone bike crazy and I actually rode to work today, about 35 miles round trip. I think the commuting will help my TT and my basic fitness, now to work on that group ride thing.

Speaking of Dusty Rhodes, we've got about a dozen wrestlers all sitting in a lobby telling stories. Some guys with 15 or more years experience and Championships galore, and when Dream talks ,:cool: everyone shuts up. Even the guys with TV contracts and titles.

It's never to late to be a serious athlete. I've biked for 20 years, but did my first time trial at age 56, and at 60 just won the age-group silver in the Florida state senior games finals. It's amazing what kind of shape you can get into in your senior childhood.

+1 on don't worry about your age, I started racing this year at 45, so just go for it.

On the bike side, I have a 2004 Giant OCR2 and a late 1970's Repco Light speed and I can tell you that the modern bike is only a little bit quicker than the antique one. The nut behind the handlebars is really the important bit.

That's awesome you guys. My ride to work used to take me 1 hr 38 minutes either way. I made the ride home in 1hr 26 last week in less than ideal conditions (rainy, windy and dark). I don't know if that was extra incentive or what but I have a goal to do the ride in 1hr even. It's 18.6 miles one way with about 7 or 8 mile in side streets and the rest on A1A. I figure I will need to rip 21 or 22 consitently on A1A to make up for the lost time on the side streets. Good luck and go race! :)

You are indeed crazy. Only crazy people do time trials.

Real riders prefer to grind their friends into the ground mercilessly, all the while grinning and cracking jokes.

So get out of ITT's while you're still able, before you submit yourself to a life of solo riding, loneliness and misery.

Remember, only crazy people do time trials

jock.c said:
You are indeed crazy. Only crazy people do time trials.

Real riders prefer to grind their friends into the ground mercilessly, all the while grinning and cracking jokes.

So get out of ITT's while you're still able, before you submit yourself to a life of solo riding, loneliness and misery.

Remember, only crazy people do time trials
ineed- its one thing to draft, use the peloton, try to hide, and use your smarts to set you up for the finish...

its a completely different game when its just you, your bike, and your pain for 40K.

in a group of riders... its usually the guy sitting a few feet to the side, one eye open more than the other- and muttering to himself that's the time trialist.

still- a great ride tho.

I don't believe that ITT's are the gateway to loneliness but I do believe it is a non intimidating way to get into bike racing.

I do ride by myself mostly but that is only because most of my rides are commuting to work and back or enjoying a nice afternoon cruise on a weekend. As I get more serious I will seek out group rides and clubs and so forth but for the time being I will have to settle for the occasional contact of passing cyclists (who most of the time seem to be going the other direction).

Call me crazy if you like, (actually I think I posed the question initially so I must be) but I sort of like the battle between my brain's wishes and my body's limits. All of this while the clock mercilessly clicks away and doesn't care how tired you are or how windy it is.:D

Pendejo said:
It's never to late to be a serious athlete. I've biked for 20 years, but did my first time trial at age 56, and at 60 just won the age-group silver in the Florida state senior games finals. It's amazing what kind of shape you can get into in your senior childhood.
Awesome stuff-keep it up!! I stoppped cycling in my early 20's and am getting back in at 40 and road racing and the State Time Trial Championships are my goals. I never tackle any hobby/sport, etc without a goal. When i was in my 20's and doing 40k's the fastest guy and course record holder was in his 40's!!! I just remember he had grey hair and did well at Masters.....lol

I dont think age matters (since I am not going to in a GT) and I plan on being faster than I ever was when I was young.

the pistol said:
I don't believe that ITT's are the gateway to loneliness but I do believe it is a non intimidating way to get into bike racing.

I do ride by myself mostly but that is only because most of my rides are commuting to work and back or enjoying a nice afternoon cruise on a weekend. As I get more serious I will seek out group rides and clubs and so forth but for the time being I will have to settle for the occasional contact of passing cyclists (who most of the time seem to be going the other direction).

Call me crazy if you like, (actually I think I posed the question initially so I must be) but I sort of like the battle between my brain's wishes and my body's limits. All of this while the clock mercilessly clicks away and doesn't care how tired you are or how windy it is.:D

I think he was being sarcastic...it's funny, really.

I'm not sure if you think I was being sarcastic or one of the other folks in this thread but either way I'm really just trying to encourage any new people who haven't tried racing to go ahead and try it. There are some that say a TT is not even a race and that's their opinion. :rolleyes: Either way I still try to improve my commute time every time I ride to work and back (my own personal time trial).

Good luck to any and all whether you struggle at 10 mph or cruise at 20+.:)

After reading this whole topic again, I think I get the joke. Funny as hell there Jockc. Even funnier still is that most people think they are crazy but I have paperwork. Good luck.

the pistol said:
I'm not sure if you think I was being sarcastic or one of the other folks in this thread but either way I'm really just trying to encourage any new people who haven't tried racing to go ahead and try it. There are some that say a TT is not even a race and that's their opinion. :rolleyes: Either way I still try to improve my commute time every time I ride to work and back (my own personal time trial).

Good luck to any and all whether you struggle at 10 mph or cruise at 20+.:)

Oh, I was thinking of Jock.c, I wasn't thinking of you. He was pretty sarcastic about it.

the pistol said:
The course was flat and 10 miles total, (5 out and 5 back). There was a vicious crosswind that was little help going out and pure murder coming back. Even the guys with all the aero stuff were getting hammered. I managed to finish the course in 36 minutes. I think I could have hit 30 minutes without the wind even though my bike is anything but Aero. I hope to try some Criteriums in the Spring and maybe a century by the end of the year. I offer my encouragement to anyone who is thinking about racing to go ahead and do it. The TT was not intimidating and is really just a battle of your mind and body. I'm sure I'll get smoked when I try a Crit but it looks like I wouldn't be the first one to do that. I appreciate any tips or suggestions on training, I currently ride 4 days a week ( 10 miles 2 or 3 times on weekdays and at least one long ride on the weekend, 18 - 22 miles) Take it easy.
Your not even close to being crazy....check this out....in 2005 I did my 1st ever TT. I WAS 50 at the time. I also noticed your a bit big.....my recommendation......OATMEAL AND SALADS (not at the same time)

It was a good time. I will definitely look to doing some more of those in the future. Thanks for asking Mike. Thanks for the tip on the diet Nando. Knowing what to do and doing it are 2 different things though. I have a long way to go but I'm not stopping now. Thanks guys.