First Timer Tips

no1kung1

Mar 29, 2007
I'm a cat 3 (upgraded at the end of last season) racer. I just joined the powermeter club this past weekend buying a used powertap from a teammate.

I was lactate tested back in November and haven't done a real test since then. I was planning to do a 30 min tt test this weekend, once i'm a little bit more rested.

I also have been using the trial version of TrainingPeaks. It seems pretty cool, but I haven't explored it enough to exploit its full functionality.

So any tips for a newbie to the power scene? Books to buy? Workouts to do (that i couldn't do before with a HRM or now can do better)? Ways to use TrainingPeaks to its full potential?

no1kung1 said:
I'm a cat 3 (upgraded at the end of last season) racer. I just joined the powermeter club this past weekend buying a used powertap from a teammate.

I was lactate tested back in November and haven't done a real test since then. I was planning to do a 30 min tt test this weekend, once i'm a little bit more rested.

I also have been using the trial version of TrainingPeaks. It seems pretty cool, but I haven't explored it enough to exploit its full functionality.

So any tips for a newbie to the power scene? Books to buy? Workouts to do (that i couldn't do before with a HRM or now can do better)? Ways to use TrainingPeaks to its full potential?
http://www.peakscoachinggroup.com/products/Train_with_power_book.html

TF

acoggan said:
Hey buddy - I was counting on that $0.20 to help pay my taxes this year! ;)
Hey, your book is on that list, and the OP will probably pay you your buck when he upgrades his WKO+!!!

acoggan said:
Hey buddy - I was counting on that $0.20 to help pay my taxes this year! ;)

As a "writer" EVERYTHING is a deduction...even your training!

Felt_Rider said:
If I had only known about this link a week ago I could have saved $20 on a "particular" book and used that money to help pay 1% of my taxes. :p
Note the moderator: we need a sticky called "Resources for Newbies" or "Resources for those new to power training" or something like that.

jbvcoaching said:
the OP will probably pay you your buck when he upgrades his WKO+!!!

Except, of course, for the fact that the latest upgrade to WKO+ is free. ;)

mr_mojo said:
As a "writer" EVERYTHING is a deduction...even your training!

Hmm...so can I call my wife's racing efforts this year "research", and deduct the $15k or so they cost us? ;)

acoggan said:
Hmm...so can I call my wife's racing efforts this year "research", and deduct the $15k or so they cost us? ;)
Sure. I take all my tax advice from internet forums? Don't you? ;)

Steve_B said:
Sure. I take all my tax advice from internet forums? Don't you?
wink.gif
Are you implying tax advice is somehow more important than power training advice?
wink.gif

So I bought both the Allen/Coggan Book and TrainingPeaks. Together thats gotta be at least be $1.50 in income for you guys. ;)