First Tri Questions.

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Rwh *-At-* Holo, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Hello everyone... I have been training for about 4 months for a 1/4 ironman. This will be my first
    real USAT triathlon. (I did a very miniature tri 10 years ago.) I feel comfortable in all three
    areas. However, I have a few questions that I would love your comments on.

    1. What is your opinion on running in bicycle shorts? Should I keep them on after the bike portion,
    or remove them and put on running shorts over my speedo?

    2. What tools do you carry with you on your bike for the race? I have in my pack a spare inner tube
    and CO2 cartridges, and a multi purpose tool (screwdrivers,allen wrenches, etc).

    3. What suggestions do you have for my two transition periods?

    4. Any good advice to keep in mind for race day, and during the race?

    Thanks!!

    Randall

    Tags:

  2. Topdog

    Topdog Guest

    "rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net" <"rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net"> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello everyone... I have been training for about 4 months for a 1/4 ironman. This will be my first
    > real USAT triathlon. (I did a very miniature tri 10 years ago.) I feel comfortable in all three
    > areas. However, I have a few questions that I would love your comments on.
    >
    > 1. What is your opinion on running in bicycle shorts? Should I keep them on after the bike
    > portion, or remove them and put on running shorts over my speedo?

    Toss the cycle shorts entirely. Pick up a pair of tri shorts. These are similar to cycle shorts, but
    with a thinner pad. These are great to run in AS WELL as swim in. While you can do as you suggest,
    the advantage here is that you save maybe a minute in the transitions, maybe more. You leave the
    same shorts on for the entire race. A 1/4 IM is relatively short, and the shorter the race, the more
    important transition speed is.

    > 2. What tools do you carry with you on your bike for the race? I have in my pack a spare inner
    > tube and CO2 cartridges, and a multi purpose tool (screwdrivers,allen wrenches, etc).

    I personally don't keep the multi-tool (if it's checked over before the race, and in good shape, the
    only eventuality you should face should be flatting.) However, others may disagree, and the few
    extra ounces may be worth it to them. One thing you DO need to consider is fluids. You may like the
    Profile Aerodrink, but use it first, since the water retention system that is uses really sucks.
    Half of it will slosh out on bumps. This way you can find what works for you (I like a round,
    plastic brillo pad in the top myself.) Also, pedals - the double sideds (speedplay, SPD) are
    helpful, but NOT if it means using an unfamiliar system just for the race. Lastly, you may want to
    have a gel taped somewhere that you can get easy access to. Different people like different things,
    but you may want the energy boost.

    > 3. What suggestions do you have for my two transition periods?

    Have it laid out and ready to go, and planned in advance. Do you plan on wearing socks? If not, make
    sure that you train that way. Socks can eat up time putting them on, but I find them necessary for
    the run (or else I might well blister, slowing me down more.) My compromise is to go sockless on the
    bike (as your feet are wet, and socks take longer to put on), but put them on before the run. Also,
    get there early to get a good rack position. It helps if it's easy to find. Also, it helps to be
    close to the EXIT of transition area for the run (since cycling shoes are clunky and somewhat hard
    to run in).

    > 4. Any good advice to keep in mind for race day, and during the race?

    TRAIN WITH WHATEVER YOU PLAN TO USE ON RACE DAY!!! This can't be stressed enough. Don't use strange
    equipment or methods when you race. This is usually a recipe for disaster. Murphy loves to kick you
    in the butt whenever you do this! So, make sure you've done a decent amount of training and
    preparation with everything first, and are comfortable with how it fits\works and have worked out
    the bugs. (This includes eating\drinking!)

    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Randall

  3. "rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net" <"rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net"> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hello everyone... I have been training for about 4 months for a 1/4 ironman. This will be my first
    > real USAT triathlon. (I did a very miniature tri 10 years ago.) I feel comfortable in all three
    > areas. However, I have a few questions that I would love your comments on.

    First of all, I second everything topdog posted, and add the following comments:

    > 1. What is your opinion on running in bicycle shorts? Should I keep them on after the bike
    > portion, or remove them and put on running shorts over my speedo?

    A tri suit is well worth the money, as previously mentioned.

    > 2. What tools do you carry with you on your bike for the race? I have in my pack a spare inner
    > tube and CO2 cartridges, and a multi purpose tool (screwdrivers,allen wrenches, etc).

    I have a couple of allen keys just in case something gets knocked out of alignment in a crash and
    I'm intact enough to continue. If your tires are hard to get off the rim you may want a couple of
    tire levers.

    > 3. What suggestions do you have for my two transition periods?

    In addition to topdog's advice, once you are set up, find out where you'll be entering and leaving
    transition and map out how you'll get to your spot. You'd be amazed how many people can't find their
    bikes when they enter T1 from a different direction from the swim!

    > 4. Any good advice to keep in mind for race day, and during the race?

    Follow your plan. Accept and learn from any surprises. Have fun!

    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Randall

  4. Suggest you don't mess around with changing clothes. Perhaps instead ofa speedo and biking
    shorts you might try getting tri shorts and wearing them only. If wearing a wetsuit you can put
    the suit on directly over the shorts. I wear either a singlet, or tri shorts and form fit top,
    along with my race number on a race belt underneath my wetsuit....I hate having to futz around
    with clothing and race numbers in transition. PS: A speedo under bike shorts is a bad idea
    anyway as it causes CHAFING.

    I personally carry nothing except co2 ,levers and tubes (or an extra tire for my race wheels). A
    multipurpose tool isn't a bad idea...although if your bike is well maintained what are the chances
    something will happen that you'll need a tool like this in a 25 mile race?

    Transition: Put your helmet upside down on your bars with your glasses there ready to put on. If
    you carry a gu flask, put that there as well, ready to stuff in a pocket. Don't mess around with
    nutrition during transition as you'll have plenty of time while on the bike to replenish. Lace
    locks are invaluable on your running shoes in T2. Again, why mess with changing clothes if you
    don't have to per the first paragraph. Don't rush through transition but try and be efficient
    (practicing a T1 and T2 transition once or twice before isn't a bad idea). Finally, take a good
    look where your bike setup
    is. Even after doing 15 or so tri's I couldn't find my bike at a sprint tri a couple of years
    back...I lost time and got frustrated.

    Make sure you are well hydrated going into the race (especially if it's hot). Check
    www.trinewbies.com for more race, transition, and prerace information. Good luck and have fun. Don't
    kill yourself on this, your first Oly distance race.

    > Hello everyone... I have been training for about 4 months for a 1/4 ironman. This will be my first
    > real USAT triathlon. (I did a very miniature tri 10 years ago.) I feel comfortable in all three
    > areas. However, I have a few questions that I would love your comments on.
    >
    > 1. What is your opinion on running in bicycle shorts? Should I keep them on after the bike
    > portion, or remove them and put on running shorts over my speedo?
    >
    > 2. What tools do you carry with you on your bike for the race? I have in my pack a spare inner
    > tube and CO2 cartridges, and a multi purpose tool (screwdrivers,allen wrenches, etc).
    >
    > 3. What suggestions do you have for my two transition periods?
    >
    > 4. Any good advice to keep in mind for race day, and during the race?
    >

    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Randall

  5. Jim K.

    Jim K. Guest

    Great advice above. I might have missed it but if no one said practice your transitions that would
    be my added advice. It all seems so easy when you think about it but the reality is nothing like
    the imagery.

    -Jim-

    "rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net" <"rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net"> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello everyone... I have been training for about 4 months for a 1/4 ironman. This will be my first
    > real USAT triathlon. (I did a very miniature tri 10 years ago.) I feel comfortable in all three
    > areas. However, I have a few questions that I would love your comments on.
    >
    > 1. What is your opinion on running in bicycle shorts? Should I keep them on after the bike
    > portion, or remove them and put on running shorts over my speedo?
    >
    > 2. What tools do you carry with you on your bike for the race? I have in my pack a spare inner
    > tube and CO2 cartridges, and a multi purpose tool (screwdrivers,allen wrenches, etc).
    >
    > 3. What suggestions do you have for my two transition periods?
    >
    > 4. Any good advice to keep in mind for race day, and during the race?
    >

    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Randall

  6. Congratulations and welcome back to the sport, Randy.

    1. Running in bike shorts is fine. Don't bother changing, it'll take too much time.

    2. Tube, CO2, multipurpose tool are fine to cary with you. How 'bout a patch kit, too? I had a bad
    tyre once.

    3. Get in and out of transition FAST. It's the easiest way to get faster overall.

    4. Have fun - don't get too caught up in everyone's race. People take the sport too seriously.

    Steve.

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:18:00 -0500, "rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net" <"rwh *-at-* holobaugh
    *-dot-* net"> wrote:

    >Hello everyone... I have been training for about 4 months for a 1/4 ironman. This will be my first
    >real USAT triathlon. (I did a very miniature tri 10 years ago.) I feel comfortable in all three
    >areas. However, I have a few questions that I would love your comments on.
    >
    >1. What is your opinion on running in bicycle shorts? Should I keep them on after the bike
    > portion, or remove them and put on running shorts over my speedo?
    >
    >2. What tools do you carry with you on your bike for the race? I have in my pack a spare inner
    > tube and CO2 cartridges, and a multi purpose tool (screwdrivers,allen wrenches, etc).
    >
    >3. What suggestions do you have for my two transition periods?
    >
    >4. Any good advice to keep in mind for race day, and during the race?
    >

    >Thanks!!
    >
    >Randall

  7. Great advice from everyone. One last thing -- GET THERE EARLY!!! There isn't anything worse than
    getting stuck in traffic, trying to find a parking spot, registering, etc. If you live near the race
    (or are camping/hotelling nearby) biking in is a good idea (avoid the traffic and parking).

    You want to give yourself at least an hour to get a good spot on the rack (I try to grab an end spot
    and then I count which row so that when I come out of the water, I go "one, two, three, turn left,
    there's my bike!"). You then want to lay out your stuff and then walk the transition. I stand on the
    beach, visualize myself coming out of the water, walk to my bike, visual the transition, walk to the
    bike start, then walk to the bike end, come into T2, visualize the transition and then walk to the
    run start.

    One final thing -- visualize every little thing. My wife came out of the water among the first of
    the women in a tri last year, got to T1 and realized her socks were still in her duffle bag. It not
    only cost her some time, but it got her a bit flustered too.

    Have fun -- you'll do great.

    Greg

    "rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net" <"rwh *-at-* holobaugh *-dot-* net"> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello everyone... I have been training for about 4 months for a 1/4 ironman. This will be my first
    > real USAT triathlon. (I did a very miniature tri 10 years ago.) I feel comfortable in all three
    > areas. However, I have a few questions that I would love your comments on.
    >
    > 1. What is your opinion on running in bicycle shorts? Should I keep them on after the bike
    > portion, or remove them and put on running shorts over my speedo?
    >
    > 2. What tools do you carry with you on your bike for the race? I have in my pack a spare inner
    > tube and CO2 cartridges, and a multi purpose tool (screwdrivers,allen wrenches, etc).
    >
    > 3. What suggestions do you have for my two transition periods?
    >
    > 4. Any good advice to keep in mind for race day, and during the race?
    >

    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Randall

  8. Randy H.

    Randy H. Guest

    Thanks to everyone who replied. The help was greatly appreciated.

    Randall