First Tri Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Cam Wilson, May 23, 2003.

  1. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    As luck would have it, the boss decided to close the office today, so now I have plenty of time to
    pack, prepare and get psyched for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I got my race kit last night
    (nice shirt) and will get cracking on a quick bike-check shortly. Then I'll pack my stuff up, go
    over the checklist a few dozen times, eat carefully, hydrate, (try to) relax, and (try to) go to
    sleep early tonight.

    I have prepared well, and feel ready. The forecast calls for rainy weather tomorrow, so I must
    simply be ready for a careful bike leg. And hope for warm temperatures at least, so it won't be wet
    AND cold. It was only 8 Celcius this morn, so hopefully that won't be the case on race morning. That
    could be chilly straight after the (pool) swim. Darn, I was hoping to wear my nifty new singlet in
    the race, but may have to opt for a long-sleeved top to keep warm.

    I'm really excited about this... I'm finally doing it, after about two years of dreaming, wishing
    and then training.

    Anyway, wish me luck!

    Cam

    Tags:

  2. Kent

    Kent Guest

    I'd wish you luck Cam but luck is for the unprepared. So I'll just tell you to kick ass instead. Oh
    yeah, and make sure you have fun too.

    Kent (in Canada)

  3. Go for it Cam!!

    I've been following your progress and you will get there.

    Enjoy it!

    "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > As luck would have it, the boss decided to close the office today, so now I have plenty of time to
    > pack, prepare and get psyched for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I got my race kit last
    > night (nice shirt) and will get cracking on a quick bike-check shortly. Then I'll pack my stuff
    > up, go over the checklist a few dozen times, eat carefully, hydrate, (try to) relax, and (try to)
    > go to sleep early tonight.
    >
    > I have prepared well, and feel ready. The forecast calls for rainy weather tomorrow, so I must
    > simply be ready for a careful bike leg. And hope for warm temperatures at least, so it won't be
    > wet AND cold. It was only 8 Celcius this morn, so hopefully that won't be the case on race
    > morning. That could be chilly straight after the (pool) swim. Darn, I was hoping to wear my nifty
    > new singlet in the race, but may have to opt for a long-sleeved top to keep warm.
    >
    > I'm really excited about this... I'm finally doing it, after about two years of dreaming, wishing
    > and then training.
    >
    > Anyway, wish me luck!
    >
    > Cam

  4. Go for it Cam and enjoy it!

    "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > As luck would have it, the boss decided to close the office today, so now I have plenty of time to
    > pack, prepare and get psyched for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I got my race kit last
    > night (nice shirt) and will get cracking on a quick bike-check shortly. Then I'll pack my stuff
    > up, go over the checklist a few dozen times, eat carefully, hydrate, (try to) relax, and (try to)
    > go to sleep early tonight.
    >
    > I have prepared well, and feel ready. The forecast calls for rainy weather tomorrow, so I must
    > simply be ready for a careful bike leg. And hope for warm temperatures at least, so it won't be
    > wet AND cold. It was only 8 Celcius this morn, so hopefully that won't be the case on race
    > morning. That could be chilly straight after the (pool) swim. Darn, I was hoping to wear my nifty
    > new singlet in the race, but may have to opt for a long-sleeved top to keep warm.
    >
    > I'm really excited about this... I'm finally doing it, after about two years of dreaming, wishing
    > and then training.
    >
    > Anyway, wish me luck!
    >
    > Cam

  5. tesy "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > As luck would have it, the boss decided to close the office today, so now I have plenty of time to
    > pack, prepare and get psyched for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I got my race kit last
    > night (nice shirt) and will get cracking on a quick bike-check shortly. Then I'll pack my stuff
    > up, go over the checklist a few dozen times, eat carefully, hydrate, (try to) relax, and (try to)
    > go to sleep early tonight.
    >
    > I have prepared well, and feel ready. The forecast calls for rainy weather tomorrow, so I must
    > simply be ready for a careful bike leg. And hope for warm temperatures at least, so it won't be
    > wet AND cold. It was only 8 Celcius this morn, so hopefully that won't be the case on race
    > morning. That could be chilly straight after the (pool) swim. Darn, I was hoping to wear my nifty
    > new singlet in the race, but may have to opt for a long-sleeved top to keep warm.
    >
    > I'm really excited about this... I'm finally doing it, after about two years of dreaming, wishing
    > and then training.
    >
    > Anyway, wish me luck!
    >
    > Cam

  6. test "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > As luck would have it, the boss decided to close the office today, so now I have plenty of time to
    > pack, prepare and get psyched for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I got my race kit last
    > night (nice shirt) and will get cracking on a quick bike-check shortly. Then I'll pack my stuff
    > up, go over the checklist a few dozen times, eat carefully, hydrate, (try to) relax, and (try to)
    > go to sleep early tonight.
    >
    > I have prepared well, and feel ready. The forecast calls for rainy weather tomorrow, so I must
    > simply be ready for a careful bike leg. And hope for warm temperatures at least, so it won't be
    > wet AND cold. It was only 8 Celcius this morn, so hopefully that won't be the case on race
    > morning. That could be chilly straight after the (pool) swim. Darn, I was hoping to wear my nifty
    > new singlet in the race, but may have to opt for a long-sleeved top to keep warm.
    >
    > I'm really excited about this... I'm finally doing it, after about two years of dreaming, wishing
    > and then training.
    >
    > Anyway, wish me luck!
    >
    > Cam

  7. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Kent) wrote:

    > I'd wish you luck Cam but luck is for the unprepared. So I'll just tell you to kick ass instead.
    > Oh yeah, and make sure you have fun too.
    >
    > Kent (in Canada)

    hey, a fellow Canuck! Thanks, Kent. You are right about the luck thing, though we do need SOME of it
    to control the weather, right?

    Cam

  8. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Lord of Darkness" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Go for it Cam!!
    >
    > I've been following your progress and you will get there.
    >
    > Enjoy it!

    thanks, Lord. good to hear that somebody follows us newbies and our journey along this path to our
    first tri.

    cam

  9. Hi Cam

    best of luck. What's the distance ? I'm doing my first tri next sunday....a short one
    400m/18k/4k...better start small and have a nice experience and want to do it again.

    Mogens Denmark

    "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > As luck would have it, the boss decided to close the office today, so now I have plenty of time to
    > pack, prepare and get psyched for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I got my race kit last
    > night (nice shirt) and will get cracking on a quick bike-check shortly. Then I'll pack my stuff
    > up, go over the checklist a few dozen times, eat carefully, hydrate, (try to) relax, and (try to)
    > go to sleep early tonight.
    >
    > I have prepared well, and feel ready. The forecast calls for rainy weather tomorrow, so I must
    > simply be ready for a careful bike leg. And hope for warm temperatures at least, so it won't be
    > wet AND cold. It was only 8 Celcius this morn, so hopefully that won't be the case on race
    > morning. That could be chilly straight after the (pool) swim. Darn, I was hoping to wear my nifty
    > new singlet in the race, but may have to opt for a long-sleeved top to keep warm.
    >
    > I'm really excited about this... I'm finally doing it, after about two years of dreaming, wishing
    > and then training.
    >
    > Anyway, wish me luck!
    >
    > Cam

  10. Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > As luck would have it, the boss decided to close the office today, so now I have plenty of time to
    > pack, prepare and get psyched for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I got my race kit last
    > night (nice shirt) and will get cracking on a quick bike-check shortly. Then I'll pack my stuff
    > up, go over the checklist a few dozen times, eat carefully, hydrate, (try to) relax, and (try to)
    > go to sleep early tonight.
    >
    > I have prepared well, and feel ready. The forecast calls for rainy weather tomorrow, so I must
    > simply be ready for a careful bike leg. And hope for warm temperatures at least, so it won't be
    > wet AND cold. It was only 8 Celcius this morn, so hopefully that won't be the case on race
    > morning. That could be chilly straight after the (pool) swim. Darn, I was hoping to wear my nifty
    > new singlet in the race, but may have to opt for a long-sleeved top to keep warm.
    >
    > I'm really excited about this... I'm finally doing it, after about two years of dreaming, wishing
    > and then training.
    >
    > Anyway, wish me luck!
    >
    > Cam

    I assume the race is over or close to it by now. Welcome to the club!

  11. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tom Henderson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I assume the race is over or close to it by now. Welcome to the club!

    Thanks.... I'm all done the race and am feeling on top of the world!

    do you share race reports here? if so, this'll be my first in this ng. i've written up many running
    race reports in the rec.running ng.

    i'll post something here shortly.

    Cam

  12. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mogens Henckel" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi Cam
    >
    > best of luck. What's the distance ? I'm doing my first tri next sunday....a short one
    > 400m/18k/4k...better start small and have a nice experience and want to do it again.
    >
    > Mogens Denmark

    Hi!

    i kinda wish i had done a longer race, as somebody had recommended (and yes, this one DID just fly
    by, leaving me wanting more), but the skies opened up and it poured down rain just as i finished up
    my race. those in the longer (sprint) race were still out there for that joyous weather.

    my race was 100m/12k/2k. a nice starter distance for the swim, decent for the bike, but WAY too
    short for the run :) ok, it was all about right considering the training i was able to do. i think
    if i were simply to do one longer bike ride per week, i could manage a race like yours.

    but my race went great - no problems at all - and i had a blast. i swear the most exciting part
    lasted from the wait to start the swim until the start on the bike. T1 was a little less practised,
    so i was a tiny bit unsure about it. plus it was cool weather earlier that morning, and i had to
    decide at the last moment which shirt i was going to wear on the bike and run. still, great fun!

    i am SO hooked! best of luck in YOUR race!

    Cam *The Triathlete*

    (Wooohoooo!)

  13. Kent

    Kent Guest

    > Thanks.... I'm all done the race and am feeling on top of the world!
    >
    > do you share race reports here? if so, this'll be my first in this ng. i've written up many
    > running race reports in the rec.running ng.
    >
    > i'll post something here shortly.
    >
    > Cam

    Go for it Cam. Maybe I'll put something together for my du from last weekend too. Don't usually see
    race reports on here mostly for sales and stupid comment from trolls. Be nice to know where is and
    isn't good to race. Any time you want to try something further down the 401 let me know and I'll see
    what I can do for you. Have a peek at the series in my area: www.trisportcanada.com
    www.multisportcanada.com And if you read triathlete magazine just ignore the self righteous bigots
    that think the sport is just for the elites (in the letters to the editor section). It may be only
    one race but you earned it just as much as anyone else. Welcome to the club man.

    cheers Kent

  14. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Kent) wrote:

    > > Thanks.... I'm all done the race and am feeling on top of the world!
    > >
    > > do you share race reports here? if so, this'll be my first in this ng. i've written up many
    > > running race reports in the rec.running ng.
    > >
    > > i'll post something here shortly.
    > >
    > > Cam
    >
    > Go for it Cam. Maybe I'll put something together for my du from last weekend too. Don't usually
    > see race reports on here mostly for sales and stupid comment from trolls. Be nice to know where is
    > and isn't good to race. Any time you want to try something further down the 401 let me know and
    > I'll see what I can do for you. Have a peek at the series in my area: www.trisportcanada.com
    > www.multisportcanada.com And if you read triathlete magazine just ignore the self righteous bigots
    > that think the sport is just for the elites (in the letters to the editor section). It may be only
    > one race but you earned it just as much as anyone else. Welcome to the club man.
    >
    > cheers Kent

    thanks very much, Kent. yes, i have sensed the elitism of some of the athletes, but even from my
    exposure to the sport through tv broadcasts of events, i've seen top athletes speaking highly of the
    guts and determination of the average folks who stay the course to do the IM in 17 hours. there is
    the good and the bad in any sport. lots of good in tri.

    Cam

  15. "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cam_wilson-> > my race was
    100m/12k/2k. a nice starter distance for the swim, decent
    > for the bike, but WAY too short for the run :) ok, it was all about

    hmmm, I did 400m/20k/5k this weekend.....and the bike was WAY too long, but the run just about right
    (though my legs had gone off for vacation by that time I think!). Cam, can I mix and match your
    Canadian race with my English one? Maybe we'd get something that suits!!

  16. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Hedgehog & Markarina" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cam_wilson-> > my race was
    > 100m/12k/2k. a nice starter distance for the swim, decent
    > > for the bike, but WAY too short for the run :) ok, it was all about
    >
    > hmmm, I did 400m/20k/5k this weekend.....and the bike was WAY too long, but the run just about
    > right (though my legs had gone off for vacation by that time I think!). Cam, can I mix and match
    > your Canadian race with my English one? Maybe we'd get something that suits!!

    hmm, sounds good to me. that 400m swim sounds a little more challenging too. i'd like my next race
    to have a swim of about that length. i'm up to a km now, so 400m is quite do-able. the bike - 12k
    felt right - not the most exciting part for me, but if i had to double the distance in training and
    the race, i wouldn't be thrilled. and yes, a 5K run would be nice. this 2K thing... i guess the
    organizers felt this would make the event more attractive to non-runners, and i'm sure it was,
    considering that i was among the top runners in this race. and i'm not that hot a runner, maybe in
    the top third or so usually.

    Cam

  17. Paul

    Paul Guest

    If I remember rightly, we were trading posts this time last year as we were both heading for our
    first tri. What happened to yours ?

    I managed two last year, and was on real high. Big plans for training over the winter, correcting
    all last years mistakes, and improving on all my times.

    I think that was the last time I trained. Winter was too cold, and I got really lazy. Now I feel
    really bad because I haven't made an effort, and you're having a really good time.

    Glad you made it anyway. It's a great feeling when you complete the first one isn't it ??

    Paul

    "Cam Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As luck would have it, the boss decided to close the office today, so now I have plenty of time to
    > pack, prepare and get psyched for my first triathlon tomorrow morning. I got my race kit last
    > night (nice shirt) and will get cracking on a quick bike-check shortly. Then I'll pack my stuff
    > up, go over the checklist a few dozen times, eat carefully, hydrate, (try to) relax, and (try to)
    > go to sleep early tonight.
    >
    > I have prepared well, and feel ready. The forecast calls for rainy weather tomorrow, so I must
    > simply be ready for a careful bike leg. And hope for warm temperatures at least, so it won't be
    > wet AND cold. It was only 8 Celcius this morn, so hopefully that won't be the case on race
    > morning. That could be chilly straight after the (pool) swim. Darn, I was hoping to wear my nifty
    > new singlet in the race, but may have to opt for a long-sleeved top to keep warm.
    >
    > I'm really excited about this... I'm finally doing it, after about two years of dreaming, wishing
    > and then training.
    >
    > Anyway, wish me luck!
    >
    > Cam

  18. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Paul"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If I remember rightly, we were trading posts this time last year as we were both heading for our
    > first tri. What happened to yours ?

    i just hadn't progressed enough at the time, and decided to take more time to work on my swimming (i
    had just taken swim lessons that winter). i was starting from scratch in the swim and didn't feel
    confident enough yet. but now i'm ready for lots of swimming. i'm up to 1000m and counting in my
    continuous swims. now i just need to get out and do some open water swims.

    > I managed two last year, and was on real high. Big plans for training over the winter, correcting
    > all last years mistakes, and improving on all my times.

    very cool. good to hear that you got in some races last year.

    > I think that was the last time I trained. Winter was too cold, and I got really lazy. Now I feel
    > really bad because I haven't made an effort, and you're having a really good time.
    >
    > Glad you made it anyway. It's a great feeling when you complete the first one isn't it ??
    >
    > Paul

    even though it was a rather short tri - intended for beginners really - i was on top of the world
    when i finished the race. i placed high... 27th out of 161 competitors... and that made me feel even
    better! i'm slower than most in the swim (as expected), average on the bike, and in the top 12 on
    the run (my real strength, and that's where i passed a lot of people). great, excellent race and
    sport and i was hooked the minute i got body marked :)

    today i went out and did a brick that exceeded in length those i did in training, and it felt
    terrific. i am gunning for a sprint distance race sometime this summer. the day i get back up to
    half marathon distance in the run, it would be cool to do a half ironman. but that'll be a bit
    of work, eh?

    thanks for the note,

    Cam