First Trials Obstacle Built!

Munimanpete

Guest
With the help of Andrew Carters great instructions:
http://tinyurl.com/2r45n I have finally built my first
trials obstacle, a Sandwich Board. It is rather small but I
really enjoy riding on it and will be building another one
soon. I would post a picture but we dont have a digital
camera, so i guess that wont be happening. Im not really
sure of the point of telling everyone this, just thought you
might like to know, I am know in the world of trials.

--
munimanpete - come on and do the muni

"Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

Excellent! Where did you find your materials? How much did
the hinges cost you? Have you had a play around on it yet?
You have to make at least one more...then you'll be able to
gap between them and realise the true beauty of sandwich
boards. :) I'm glad the instructions were helpful...did I
miss any important information?

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

I actually got all of my materials free. well we allready
had them, we have heaps of bits of wood lying around, and a
box full of big hinges. So i just looked around, got what i
needed and went for it. The instructions were great also,
very clear.

--

munimanpete wrote:
> * The instructions were great also, very clear. *

I agree; i used those instructions about 3 weeks ago to make
four or five sandwich boards. Now i'll be totally prepared
once my kh24 comes. thanks, andrew!

-grant

--
tennisgh22

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

On Thu, 20 May 2004 02:34:51 -0500, "andrew_carter" wrote:

>He also pointed out that having the boards on the outside
>helps if you want to do pedal grabs on them.

Why? I think one could easily pedal grab on the planks,
maybe even better because they are further out and hence
closer to where you can have your tyre on the ground.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

Well today, after having my first haircut in 7 months, I
built my second sandwich board. It is alot larger then my
first one (my first is about 20cm high and my second
30somethingcm) I'm really happy with the way it went, it
looks very profesional. I now have two sandwich boards and
I'm think about where to go from here. My two boards are
really different sizes, should i build another the same size
as my small one so i have two the same size? What do you
recommend? Do i need two the same size or what? Feedback
appreciated.

--
munimanpete - come on and do the muni

"Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

Here are some props I built last weekend from scrap wood:
teeter-totters, jump ramps and a sandwich board.

For the sandwich board, my design is different from Andrew's
in that I put the planks on the outside rather than the
inside. I drilled holes in the board of such a diameter that
the screws go easily through them and they only screw tight
in the planks. So the screws secure the hinges and at the
same time they hold the boards and the planks together. That
way, the making is somewhat simpler and the thing folds
smaller. On the other hand, it would somewhat more easily
collapse under sideload.

What do you folks think of that design?

Klaas Bil

+-------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| Attachment filename: props.jpg |
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/211009| +-------------------------------------------------------
---------+

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Peter, I'd suggest making another that's the same size as
one of the two you already have. That way you can run planks
and round rails between them or set them up end to end to
ride along (all Kris Holm's ideas).

Klaas, I think both styles have their advantages. I changed
from having the planks on the outside to having them on the
inside after Kris suggested that they look nicer and also
more challenging that way (which I do agree with). He also
pointed out that having the boards on the outside helps if
you want to do pedal grabs on them. I like how the other
method folds together nicer. I also like your idea of
having the screws join the hinges, planks, and boards
together all at once.

I'm glad the instructions have helped people. I'll add some
of these variations before sending the instructions to Peter
to put up at http://tutorials.unicyclist.com (currently
www.freewebs.com/andrewcarter/template1.htm)

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Thanks for that Klass, I like the way having the boards on
the outside would make it fold away more easily, I was
confused by Andrew's comment that having the boards on the
inside makes it harder to ride, isn't it exactly the same
size? I think I will now make another small snadwich board.
I have been practising hopping from one sandwich board to
another this afternoon, and im loving my new sandwich
boards, they're really handy! But yeah i think it is now
best to have another small one so i can hop from a small one
up to the big one and down again etc. Also do the same with
a rail to ride on. Who knows maybe i'll make another two?

--
munimanpete - come on and do the muni

"Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

I said they appear more difficult (to spectators) with
the planks on the inside. So they would possibly be
better at trials demos, etc. I realise they're exactly
the same in width.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

I am now the proud owner of three homemade sandwich boards.
I made another one this morning, its the same size as the
small one i have. I now have: 2xsmall sandwich board 1xlarge
sandwich board What do you think? I havn't rideen them all
together yet but i think i'll love it. What the next best
Trials Obstacle to build?

--
munimanpete - come on and do the muni

"Look mum, that boy's on a circus bike"
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

Excellent! The order you build them in of course depends
on what styles of trials you like. I built a sandwich
board first because I had a photo to work on. Then I built
some more sandwich boards, the drew up plans for and built
the practise rails, then the hopping post, then the
gapping bars.

The gapping bars are similar to sandwich boards, but the
landing surface is about half the width and it's flat so it
doesn't catch the tyre like a sandwich board does. I'll
have to make instructions for them soon. I might do that
now actually.

By the way, I've made a new album at
www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew that I'm putting all the
video content of the site in. I've named the items roughly
like I think they should be named on the site, but like I
said, maybe we could split it into columns. I just made an
idling video tutorial...it's up there now along with the
high res version of the giraffe one.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Hey Guys,

Today, i built together with my father my first little
sandwichboard. I uploadet some photos, check it out:

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album130

It was a bit wet outside and i already tried it out, thats
why it is dirty. I can jump around on it, it's really fun!
Thanks for the tutorial, andrew.

greets, Tassilo

--
Tassilo - Nesthaken
Tassilo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2314

That's great. I'm really intersted in seeing how well that
type of hunge holds out. Please let me know. You may want to
consider opening it up a little more if you plan on jumping
onto it from any distance, I don't know.

They're fun hey!

Andrew