First wreck

dbackmtg

Oct 9, 2005
I've been riding for about three and a half years. I love it but luckily had never wrecked until yesterday. I was riding to work and some roadkill was on the berm of the road and a car was approaching from behind. I decided to try to ride between the roadkill and guiderail. My tire went off the edge of the macadam and down I went hard. I only have a gouge out off my knee and some roadrash. My bike is pretty scratched up, it turned the bars, and defaced my left shifter. The car that was passing me went right on down the road. I guess you can't expect them to stop. I would've though. I did make it to work.

dbackmtg said:
I've been riding for about three and a half years. I love it but luckily had never wrecked until yesterday. I was riding to work and some roadkill was on the berm of the road and a car was approaching from behind. I decided to try to ride between the roadkill and guiderail. My tire went off the edge of the macadam and down I went hard. I only have a gouge out off my knee and some roadrash. My bike is pretty scratched up, it turned the bars, and defaced my left shifter. The car that was passing me went right on down the road. I guess you can't expect them to stop. I would've though. I did make it to work.

According to Hoyle's Encyclopedia of Card Games, it's not a wreck if you walk away or don't have multiple broken bones.

Congrats on getting out of it with only a gouge and scratches.

dbackmtg said:

At least you're ok!

alienator said:
According to Hoyle's Encyclopedia of Card Games, it's not a wreck if you walk away or don't have multiple broken bones.

Congrats on getting out of it with only a gouge and scratches.
A bit exaggerated, but partly true - sounds more like a "spill" than a "wreck" since you were able to ride away from it. At least you're OK, glad to hear that.

I had a close call with a "spill" last week - taking a short loop, approaching an intersection, I've gotten into the habit of releasing my right foot about 25 feet or so before stopping so I have plenty of time to put it down. This time, though, after stopping, I started to tip the wrong way (to the left) - luckily I was able to release my left foot and put it down just in time. Phew!

My first "save".... :D

i almost had that happen... only instead of going off the road, i almost ran over a chicken... a frozen packaged chicken i took for a bag of paper grbage and almost rode over... i thought twice before i went over it as to whether or not i should go off the road, hit the bag, or cut into traffic... i narrowly missed the chicken and the car... who the hell runs around throwing chickens out their window? then just today i was riding up a massive hill on my singlespeed when my bottom bracket shifted sideways, resulting in a crooked chain ring and thus a thrown chain... that top bar was pretty close, i almost popped my balls... OUCH!

My latest close call was riding on a bike trail on a nice sunny Sunday in May. I was on my road bike as the trail was paved and I was making good time on a flat straight section. I saw some riders in the distance coming towards me. As they got closer, I could see that there was one fellow who was riding left of center. I thought that he would have noticed me in the preceeding five minutes and made plans to move over. He never moved and when we were about 12 feet from meeting head on, I yelled out but had to go off the side of the trail into the overgrown weeds and ruts beside the trail at 25 mph. Both water bottles flew out of their holders and my seat bag came dislodged, but I held it until I got stopped. I tried to jump off my bike to grab something to throw at the jerk but the leg of my riding shorts got caught on the nose of my saddle and I fell with my bike in a heap. Luckily the only thing bruised was my ego.

kdelong said:
My latest close call was riding on a bike trail on a nice sunny Sunday in May. I was on my road bike as the trail was paved and I was making good time on a flat straight section. I saw some riders in the distance coming towards me. As they got closer, I could see that there was one fellow who was riding left of center. I thought that he would have noticed me in the preceeding five minutes and made plans to move over. He never moved and when we were about 12 feet from meeting head on, I yelled out but had to go off the side of the trail into the overgrown weeds and ruts beside the trail at 25 mph. Both water bottles flew out of their holders and my seat bag came dislodged, but I held it until I got stopped. I tried to jump off my bike to grab something to throw at the jerk but the leg of my riding shorts got caught on the nose of my saddle and I fell with my bike in a heap. Luckily the only thing bruised was my ego.
I hope that, in retrospect, you realize that you should have played the 7-10 split by riding up the middle of the path & thereby taking ALL of the oncoming riders out instead of become the lone victim!

alfeng said:
I hope that, in retrospect, you realize that you should have played the 7-10 split by riding up the middle of the path & thereby taking ALL of the oncoming riders out instead of become the lone victim!
I didn't want to scratch my paint! It is Nottingham White which is a fancy way of saying white with small metal flakes. It is a three step process and we haven't had three dry days in a row this summer.