Fish and Flax Oil: concerns over toxins and going bad?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Artvandelay, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Artvandelay

    Artvandelay Guest

    I'm interested in starting some Fish and Flax Seed Oil Capsules supplementation. But I am concerned
    about toxins and chemicals in the fish oil (mercury, cadmium, dioxin, etc.) in the Fish Oils, and
    degradation/spoiling of the Flax Seed Oil.

    What are some tips I can follow to avoid those problems? Refridgeate the Flax Seed Oil Capsules?
    Does anyone know of a specific company that is better for this sort of thing? Specific company that
    makes sure there are lower levels of toxins in the Fish Oil capsules?

    (p.s. I dont have time for liquid flax oil or time to ensure I eat enough fish)

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Acnonymous

    Acnonymous Guest

    Udo's Choice Oil. No fish, you don't need it, it contains Omegas 3, 6 & 9 from vegetarian sources.

    "ArtVanDelay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm interested in starting some Fish and Flax Seed Oil Capsules supplementation. But I am
    > concerned about toxins and chemicals in the fish oil (mercury, cadmium, dioxin, etc.) in the Fish
    > Oils, and degradation/spoiling of the Flax Seed Oil.
    >
    > What are some tips I can follow to avoid those problems? Refridgeate the Flax Seed Oil Capsules?
    > Does anyone know of a specific company that is better for this sort of thing? Specific company
    > that makes sure there are lower levels of toxins in the Fish Oil capsules?
    >
    > (p.s. I dont have time for liquid flax oil or time to ensure I eat enough fish)
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. You are looking for Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil. This was the best I found available in the UK:

    http://www.affordablesupplements.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=648

    The actual manufacturer has a site too: http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/ but the product is more
    expensive from them.

    There is lots of advice from variious bodies out there but regarding actual fish consumption the
    consensus seems to be to avoid large predatory fish such as shark and swordfish, moderate your
    intake of tuna (also a predatory fish) and in preference eat salmon and other smaller oil-rich fish
    such as sardines. I found it very hard to wade through all of this "advice" as you have to be aware
    that much of it is given out by companies promoting their own products or by government agencies
    wary of scaremongering or damaging industry.

    I now eat salmon and sardines 3 or 4 times a week, and take the above referenced Omega 3 oil
    supplement.

    Regards

    news:[email protected]...

  4. Ericam2 wrote:

    > I have MS and used to rely on anti-inflamatories to walk. Got in trouble several times by
    > combining fish and flax. just use vitamin E if you combine.

    ALways keep "fish oils" in a COLD place to prevent spoilage..B-0b1

  5. see below

    Johnny Too Bad wrote:

    > You are looking for Pharmaceutical Grade Fish Oil. This was the best I found available in the UK:
    >
    > http://www.affordablesupplements.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=648
    >
    > The actual manufacturer has a site too: http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/ but the product is more
    > expensive from them.
    >
    > There is lots of advice from variious bodies out there but regarding actual fish consumption the
    > consensus seems to be to avoid large predatory fish such as shark and swordfish, moderate your
    > intake of tuna (also a predatory fish) and in preference eat salmon and other smaller oil-rich
    > fish such as sardines. I found it very hard to wade through all of this "advice" as you have to be
    > aware that much of it is given out by companies promoting their own products or by government
    > agencies wary of scaremongering or damaging industry.
    >
    > I now eat salmon and sardines 3 or 4 times a week, and take the above referenced Omega 3 oil
    > supplement.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > "Acnonymous" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Udo's Choice Oil. No fish, you don't need it, it contains Omegas 3, 6 & 9 from vegetarian
    > > sources.
    > >
    > > "ArtVanDelay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm interested in starting some Fish and Flax Seed Oil Capsules supplementation. But I am
    > > > concerned about toxins and chemicals in the fish oil (mercury, cadmium, dioxin, etc.) in the
    > > > Fish Oils, and degradation/spoiling of the Flax Seed Oil.
    > > >
    > > > What are some tips I can follow to avoid those problems? Refridgeate the Flax Seed Oil
    > > > Capsules? Does anyone know of a specific company that is better for this sort of thing?
    > > > Specific company that makes sure there are lower levels of toxins in the Fish Oil capsules?
    > > >
    > > > (p.s. I dont have time for liquid flax oil or time to ensure I eat enough fish)
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > >
    > Item ONE..Mediterraian TUNA are so glutted with Mecury as to be UNSAFE

    As well they are becoming EXTINCT!

    As for "FISH (body) oils, an American Company that services SPORTS and "Body Builders" has
    many such items. GNC ( General Nutrition co.) Their "FISH BODY OILS" comes in 1000 mg
    "softgel capsules" and the one I buy contains 360 capsules. Item nr: 887941 costs $26.99 (
    plus tax) A good buy!

    I hope this helps. B-0b1

  6. Herbert Ward

    Herbert Ward Guest

    One of the major consumers' magazines (either Consumers' Research or Consumers's Reports) did a
    study of fish oil. I believe their final recommendation was that brands differ little, and you
    should just buy whatever's available and cheap.

    These guys usually do a good job, with more money and data than any one individual will have. I
    usually take their recommendations at face value.

    You can find the article by asking a reference librarian.

    I've also read that flax and walnut oils are not as good as fish oil. The body must synthesize
    (inefficiently) some omegas from the veggie sources, which are present directly in the fish oil.

    I don't like eating meat, but I make an exception for fish oil capsules and an occasional
    salmon dish.

  7. For those in the UK: As an example of why you shouldn't assume that your favourite or well known
    brand of fish oil is necessarily safe, see:

    http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/fishsupplement

    http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/fishoil_table.pdf

    "Herbert Ward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One of the major consumers' magazines (either Consumers' Research or Consumers's Reports) did a
    > study of fish oil. I believe their final recommendation was that brands differ little, and you
    > should just buy whatever's available and cheap.
    >
    > These guys usually do a good job, with more money and data than any one individual will have. I
    > usually take their recommendations at face value.
    >
    > You can find the article by asking a reference librarian.
    >
    > I've also read that flax and walnut oils are not as good as fish oil. The body must synthesize
    > (inefficiently) some omegas from the veggie sources, which are present directly in the fish oil.
    >
    > I don't like eating meat, but I make an exception for fish oil capsules and an occasional
    > salmon dish.

  8. Whitememphis

    Whitememphis Guest

    "> news:[email protected]...
    > > I've also read that flax and walnut oils are not as good as fish oil. The body must synthesize
    > > (inefficiently) some omegas from the veggie sources, which are present directly in the fish oil.

    yes, my reading material on the whole makes the claim that although there are omega 3's in
    some veg. sources none of them are long-chain & that it is this fact that provides the major
    benefit & only to be found in fish, & the conversion from short to long chain in the body is
    as you say not at all efficient.

  9. whiteMemphis wrote:

    > "> news:[email protected]...
    > > > I've also read that flax and walnut oils are not as good as fish oil. The body must synthesize
    > > > (inefficiently) some omegas from the veggie sources, which are present directly in the fish
    > > > oil.
    >
    > yes, my reading material on the whole makes the claim that although there are omega 3's in
    > some veg. sources none of them are long-chain & that it is this fact that provides the
    > major benefit & only to be found in fish, & the conversion from short to long chain in the
    > body is as you say not at all efficient.

    EACH oil has its nitsche...That's why GOD made them diferent..LOL..B-01

  10. In article <[email protected]>, ArtVanDelay wrote:

    > I'm interested in starting some Fish and Flax Seed Oil Capsules supplementation. But I am
    > concerned about toxins and chemicals in the fish oil (mercury, cadmium, dioxin, etc.) in the Fish
    > Oils, and degradation/spoiling of the Flax Seed Oil.

    While I cannot address your concerns about toxins, I recommend that instead of taking capsules, you
    eat the real thing. In this instance liquid cod liver oil and flaxseed meal. Usually then you would
    recognize the taste of those things and your body would tell you how much to eat and when you
    yreally need it, you will crave that food. In capsules, you have no idea what you are eating. Plus
    these products are far cheaper in the non-capsule form.

    > What are some tips I can follow to avoid those problems? Refridgeate the Flax Seed Oil Capsules?
    > Does anyone know of a specific company that is better for this sort of thing? Specific company
    > that makes sure there are lower levels of toxins in the Fish Oil capsules?
    >
    > (p.s. I dont have time for liquid flax oil or time to ensure I eat enough fish)

    Huh? You do not have time for liquid oil? What is that supposed to mean? How much time to you need
    to drink a spoon of oil???????