Fish Oil & Asprin

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by BxP9, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. BxP9

    BxP9 Guest

    Read on another forum that the latest Mayo Clinic newsletter says the
    combination of fish oil & aspirin is contra indicated. I asked the original
    poster to list the details of the article but they did not respond.
    Also the original poster said he stopped his aspirin after reading the
    article.

    Anyone know of this?

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "BxP9" <NOMAIL> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Read on another forum that the latest Mayo Clinic newsletter says the
    > combination of fish oil & aspirin is contra indicated. I asked the original
    > poster to list the details of the article but they did not respond.
    > Also the original poster said he stopped his aspirin after reading the
    > article.
    >
    > Anyone know of this?

    Here is something from several years ago though I really don't know what the
    basis for this is:

    Fish oil capsules aren't recommended as a substitute for fish in your diet. In
    high doses, they may pose risks, especially if you're regularly taking aspirin
    or blood thinners, such as warfarin (Coumadin).

    http://www.centerforhealthandwellness.com/HrtFish.htm

  3. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:06:37 GMT in article
    <[email protected]> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"BxP9" <NOMAIL> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Read on another forum that the latest Mayo Clinic newsletter says the
    >> combination of fish oil & aspirin is contra indicated. I asked the original
    >> poster to list the details of the article but they did not respond.
    >> Also the original poster said he stopped his aspirin after reading the
    >> article.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of this?
    >>

    >Here is something from several years ago though I really don't know what the
    >basis for this is:
    >
    >Fish oil capsules aren't recommended as a substitute for fish in your diet. In
    >high doses, they may pose risks, especially if you're regularly taking aspirin
    >or blood thinners, such as warfarin (Coumadin).

    The study

    Svaneborg N, Kristensen SD, Hansen LM, Bullow I, Husted SE, Schmidt EB.
    The acute and short-time effect of supplementation with the combination of n-3
    fatty acids and acetylsalicylic acid on platelet function and plasma lipids.
    Thromb Res. 2002 Feb 15;105(4):311-6.
    PMID: 12031825 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12031825&dopt=Abstract

    showed no additive effect of 10 g omega-3 PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acid) and
    aspirin.

    I think that consensus is becoming more and more favorable to fish oil even as
    a (partial) replacement for fish, because quality fish oil products don't
    contain pollutants found in fish such as mercury, PCB, etc...

    --
    Matti Narkia

  4. M. Schwartz

    M. Schwartz Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:41:24 GMT, Matti Narkia wrote:

    > Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:06:37 GMT in article
    > <[email protected]> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"BxP9" <NOMAIL> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> Read on another forum that the latest Mayo Clinic newsletter says the
    >>> combination of fish oil & aspirin is contra indicated. I asked the original
    >>> poster to list the details of the article but they did not respond.
    >>> Also the original poster said he stopped his aspirin after reading the
    >>> article.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of this?
    >>>

    >>Here is something from several years ago though I really don't know what the
    >>basis for this is:
    >>
    >>Fish oil capsules aren't recommended as a substitute for fish in your diet. In
    >>high doses, they may pose risks, especially if you're regularly taking aspirin
    >>or blood thinners, such as warfarin (Coumadin).
    >>

    > The study
    >
    > Svaneborg N, Kristensen SD, Hansen LM, Bullow I, Husted SE, Schmidt EB.
    > The acute and short-time effect of supplementation with the combination of n-3
    > fatty acids and acetylsalicylic acid on platelet function and plasma lipids.
    > Thromb Res. 2002 Feb 15;105(4):311-6.
    > PMID: 12031825 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12031825&dopt=Abstract
    >
    > showed no additive effect of 10 g omega-3 PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acid) and
    > aspirin.
    >
    > I think that consensus is becoming more and more favorable to fish oil even as
    > a (partial) replacement for fish, because quality fish oil products don't
    > contain pollutants found in fish such as mercury, PCB, etc...

    You would have to take quite a lot of fish oil capsules to equal one
    portion of salmon. Considering that eating fish is recommended at least 2
    or 3 times a week, well, that's a heck of a lot of capsules.

    --
    Mel

  5. BxP9

    BxP9 Guest

    Also read that the cholesterol free version of fish oils are better in that
    the added distilling to remove the cholesterol also removes more of the
    heavy metals that may be present in some fish.

    > > I think that consensus is becoming more and more favorable to fish oil

    even as
    > > a (partial) replacement for fish, because quality fish oil products

    don't
    > > contain pollutants found in fish such as mercury, PCB, etc...

  6. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    "BxP9" <NOMAIL> wrote in part:

    >Also read that the cholesterol free version of fish oils are better in that
    >the added distilling to remove the cholesterol also removes more of the
    >heavy metals that may be present in some fish.

    Heavy metals should be in the lean tissue, not the fat/oil. But oils can
    contain PCBs and other toxins.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA