Fish Oil & Asprin

BxP9

Guest
Read on another forum that the latest Mayo Clinic newsletter says the
combination of fish oil & aspirin is contra indicated. I asked the original
poster to list the details of the article but they did not respond.
Also the original poster said he stopped his aspirin after reading the
article.

Anyone know of this?

"BxP9" <NOMAIL> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Read on another forum that the latest Mayo Clinic newsletter says the
> combination of fish oil & aspirin is contra indicated. I asked the original
> poster to list the details of the article but they did not respond.
> Also the original poster said he stopped his aspirin after reading the
> article.
>
> Anyone know of this?

Here is something from several years ago though I really don't know what the
basis for this is:

Fish oil capsules aren't recommended as a substitute for fish in your diet. In
high doses, they may pose risks, especially if you're regularly taking aspirin
or blood thinners, such as warfarin (Coumadin).

http://www.centerforhealthandwellness.com/HrtFish.htm

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:06:37 GMT in article
<[email protected]> "Bill" <***@yy.zz> wrote:

>"BxP9" <NOMAIL> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Read on another forum that the latest Mayo Clinic newsletter says the
>> combination of fish oil & aspirin is contra indicated. I asked the original
>> poster to list the details of the article but they did not respond.
>> Also the original poster said he stopped his aspirin after reading the
>> article.
>>
>> Anyone know of this?
>>

>Here is something from several years ago though I really don't know what the
>basis for this is:
>
>Fish oil capsules aren't recommended as a substitute for fish in your diet. In
>high doses, they may pose risks, especially if you're regularly taking aspirin
>or blood thinners, such as warfarin (Coumadin).

The study

Svaneborg N, Kristensen SD, Hansen LM, Bullow I, Husted SE, Schmidt EB.
The acute and short-time effect of supplementation with the combination of n-3
fatty acids and acetylsalicylic acid on platelet function and plasma lipids.
Thromb Res. 2002 Feb 15;105(4):311-6.
PMID: 12031825 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12031825&dopt=Abstract

showed no additive effect of 10 g omega-3 PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acid) and
aspirin.

I think that consensus is becoming more and more favorable to fish oil even as
a (partial) replacement for fish, because quality fish oil products don't
contain pollutants found in fish such as mercury, PCB, etc...

--
Matti Narkia

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:41:24 GMT, Matti Narkia wrote:

> Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:06:37 GMT in article
> <[email protected]> "Bill" <***@yy.zz> wrote:
>

>>"BxP9" <NOMAIL> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Read on another forum that the latest Mayo Clinic newsletter says the
>>> combination of fish oil & aspirin is contra indicated. I asked the original
>>> poster to list the details of the article but they did not respond.
>>> Also the original poster said he stopped his aspirin after reading the
>>> article.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of this?
>>>

>>Here is something from several years ago though I really don't know what the
>>basis for this is:
>>
>>Fish oil capsules aren't recommended as a substitute for fish in your diet. In
>>high doses, they may pose risks, especially if you're regularly taking aspirin
>>or blood thinners, such as warfarin (Coumadin).
>>

> The study
>
> Svaneborg N, Kristensen SD, Hansen LM, Bullow I, Husted SE, Schmidt EB.
> The acute and short-time effect of supplementation with the combination of n-3
> fatty acids and acetylsalicylic acid on platelet function and plasma lipids.
> Thromb Res. 2002 Feb 15;105(4):311-6.
> PMID: 12031825 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12031825&dopt=Abstract
>
> showed no additive effect of 10 g omega-3 PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acid) and
> aspirin.
>
> I think that consensus is becoming more and more favorable to fish oil even as
> a (partial) replacement for fish, because quality fish oil products don't
> contain pollutants found in fish such as mercury, PCB, etc...

You would have to take quite a lot of fish oil capsules to equal one
portion of salmon. Considering that eating fish is recommended at least 2
or 3 times a week, well, that's a heck of a lot of capsules.

--
Mel

Also read that the cholesterol free version of fish oils are better in that
the added distilling to remove the cholesterol also removes more of the
heavy metals that may be present in some fish.

"BxP9" <NOMAIL> wrote in part:

>Also read that the cholesterol free version of fish oils are better in that
>the added distilling to remove the cholesterol also removes more of the
>heavy metals that may be present in some fish.

Heavy metals should be in the lean tissue, not the fat/oil. But oils can
contain PCBs and other toxins.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA