Fisher 292, Team Issue, or Klein Palomino

beaner128

Aug 11, 2003
I'm getting ready to purchase a new bike, and I think I have it nailed down to 3 choices. Anybody have any opinions/advice on which one of the 3 I should go with. I am looking at all of them in the 04 models which should be arriving in stores soon. I've test rode all but the team issue, and I've heard this is one of the better values for the money... Thanks to all

John Benik

go to Palomino if you want great bike for all day trails, but not for XC race

I own a GF Mt. Tam_29 (it's a hard tail). I LOVE the 29" wheels for XC riding and more confident descents. I think you would be nearly invincible on descents with the Sugar 292. Big wheels roll over the obstacles better. The larger wheels take longer to get up to speed (because there's more wheel and tire), but at speed they travel more smoothly than the 26" wheel.

Additionally, several of my friends own GF Sugars, and they love the geometry and handling.

And contrary to popular belief, getting tires and tubes for the 29ers isn't that difficult or expensive. Several tire manufacturers make 29" rubber.

Hope this helps.
S'long
JMc

I have a Gary Fisher Marlin. Very reliable.

I'd recommend the Gary Fisher. Try out some bikes.

I have the 2003 Team W/XTR and XTR disks, Fox Talus RLC fork. I love the geometry and it's a great climber, wonderful ride. Slightly heavy for the cost (27+ lbs). The 2003 version wouldn't take an XTR front D so I had to put on an XT. I have had a problem with the XTR right crank interfering with the swing arm when the left pedal is powered. Obviously a few bugs need to be worked. Hopefully the 2004 version is better.