Fisher Monono, Specialized Sirrus, Trek 7.3

Tim C

Guest
I've decided it's high time to replace my 1985 Japanese road bike
(Miyata 310) with something a little more updated and more in tune
with my more urban style of riding (fewer long, uninterrupted miles.
After some reading of reviews, looking at my budget and a little
talking, I've narrowed it down to the Gary Fisher Monono, Trek 7.3 (no
disc brakes), and the Specialized Sirrus (I haven't yet decided if the
Sirrus Sport is worth the extra $150 for the carbon fork). If you
have an opinion on these bikes, please weigh in. I have found very
little info on the web on the Monono, as it seems fairly new, but it's
in the same price range as the other two and a mountain-biking friend
of mine is a big Gary Fisher fan.

Thanks in advance for your considered opinions.

Tim C.

On May 29, 3:02 pm, Tim C <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've decided it's high time to replace my 1985 Japanese road bike
> (Miyata 310) with something a little more updated and more in tune
> with my more urban style of riding (fewer long, uninterrupted miles.
> After some reading of reviews, looking at my budget and a little
> talking, I've narrowed it down to the Gary Fisher Monono, Trek 7.3 (no
> disc brakes), and the Specialized Sirrus (I haven't yet decided if the
> Sirrus Sport is worth the extra $150 for the carbon fork). If you
> have an opinion on these bikes, please weigh in. I have found very
> little info on the web on the Monono, as it seems fairly new, but it's
> in the same price range as the other two and a mountain-biking friend
> of mine is a big Gary Fisher fan.
>
> Thanks in advance for your considered opinions.
>
> Tim C.

carbon seat stays also - not just carbon fork.

Hello, bdbafh !
You wrote:

> I've narrowed it down to the Gary Fisher Monono, Trek 7.3 (no
> > disc brakes), and the Specialized Sirrus (I haven't yet
> > decided if the
> > Sirrus Sport is worth the extra $150 for the carbon fork).
> > If you
> > have an opinion on these bikes, please weigh in.

I almost purchased a Sirrus last year as well - a very nice
bike. Re the Sport, I think it is worth the extra $150 to
upgrade away from Sora shifters... but make certain it can still
take a bike rack if you plan to commute or tour. Some bikes with
carbon seat stays do not have eyelets for rack and/or fenders.

In the end I purchased a Fuji Silhouette... very similar to the
Sirrus, but more bang for the buck imho.

Enjoy your new ride whatever you decide... the bikes you mention
are all good and should serve you well.

--
Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

Tim C wrote:
> I've decided it's high time to replace my 1985 Japanese road bike
> (Miyata 310) with something a little more updated and more in tune
> with my more urban style of riding (fewer long, uninterrupted miles.

What size is the Miyata and what are you going to do with it once you've
a new bike? ;)

But seriously...
\\paul

On May 29, 3:02 pm, Tim C <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've decided it's high time to replace my 1985 Japanese road bike
> (Miyata 310) with something a little more updated and more in tune
> with my more urban style of riding (fewer long, uninterrupted miles.
> After some reading of reviews, looking at my budget and a little
> talking, I've narrowed it down to the Gary Fisher Monono, Trek 7.3 (no
> disc brakes), and the Specialized Sirrus (I haven't yet decided if the
> Sirrus Sport is worth the extra $150 for the carbon fork). If you
> have an opinion on these bikes, please weigh in. I have found very
> little info on the web on the Monono, as it seems fairly new, but it's
> in the same price range as the other two and a mountain-biking friend
> of mine is a big Gary Fisher fan.
>
> Thanks in advance for your considered opinions.
>
> Tim C.

Blow your budget and pickup a Specialized Tricross Expert Double.
The 48/34 crank and the 12-27T cassette will leave me wanting in the
speed department. Perhaps an 11-26 cassette would take care of that.
There appears to even be an eyelet on the seat stays above the CF/Al
joint.

Flat bar or drops?

-bdbafh