Fisher vs Giant

bobg3771

Jun 15, 2010
I am considering a purchase of either a Gary Fisher Zebrano or a Giant Cyprus DX and would like a little input (pros and cons).

I like to ride mostly paved bike trails and some roads. Approximately 20 -30 miles twice a week and the occasional 50 -75 miles.

I'm not looking to set any speed records but would like to maintain a respectable speed.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

bobg3771 said:
I am considering a purchase of either a Gary Fisher Zebrano or a Giant Cyprus DX and would like a little input (pros and cons).

I like to ride mostly paved bike trails and some roads. Approximately 20 -30 miles twice a week and the occasional 50 -75 miles.

I'm not looking to set any speed records but would like to maintain a respectable speed.

Any input would be appreciated.
FWIW. I wouldn't get either BECAUSE OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION FORK ...

Having once looked at one RST suspension fork which was on an inexpensive Trek, IMO, those inexpensive front suspension forks are akin to having two POGO STICKS connecting your front wheel to the bike's frame ... dampening is rare on those inexpensive suspension forks.

Also, those inexpensive suspension forks are typically ALL steel, so they are heavy -- that is, they are dead weight which could adversely affect the handling.

If you can find a similar bike to either with a RIGID fork, then that is what 'I' recommend you buy AND thereby save some money, too.

If you are determined to buy a bike with a front suspension, then consider a Hardtail 29er which has a suspension fork (you can use almost any size 700c tire ... 700x28 is the smallest size on a typical 29er rim, but you can certainly have a narrower rim laced to a MTB hubset) ...

BTW. I think you need to be at least 5'8" to choose a 29er if you are planning on doing any "technical riding" (whatever THAT is, right!) ... but, if the riding is going to be on pavement & bike paths/trails then shorter riders can possibly choose a 29er, too.

BTW. Check the base model JAMIS CODA ... the MSRP is $550 ...

Most bikes should be on sale for 20% less than MSRP at the beginning of July (if they haven't been put on sale, already).

bobg3771 said:
I am considering a purchase of either a Gary Fisher Zebrano or a Giant Cyprus DX and would like a little input

I haven't ridden the Zebrano, but I bought a Giant Cypress last year that I really liked riding. In fact, I liked it so much that I decided to get a road bike! I think you will like the Cypress a lot.

P.S. - I wrote a more detailed review of the Cypress on my blog (see link below).