I said:The story will be on the
front page of this week's Bristol Observer and will probably also be in
the Evening Post.
Here's the Observer piece (text below). I wonder how many people will
spot the mistake on the front page:
<URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/fishingline/>
Doesn't seem to be in the Evening Post today, but maybe tomorrow or Monday.
This afternoon I noticed a laminated poster at Bitton Station bearing a
picture of my neck and a warning about the fishing line. I presume that
was put up by a member of the Bristol Cycling Campaign.
<Observer>
IDIOTS
'I thought I was going to die' says trip wire cyclist
EXCLUSIVE By Paul McLennan
A cyclist has branded vandals 'irresponsible idiots' after badly
injuring his neck when he rode into fishing line strung across a popular
cycle path - SEE FULL STORY ON PAGE 2
A cyclist thought he was going to die when he rode into fishing line
tied across a popular bike path, causing lacerations to his neck.
And to his amazement, another lethal snare had been set up the following
day in exactly the same place.
The line had been deliberately fastened to trees either side of the
Bristol and Bath Railway Path, the main cycle route linking the two
cities and used daily by commuters.
Father-of-two Danny Colyer was riding back along the path to his
Kingswood home after finishing work at his office in Saltford on Monday.
The 31-year-old software analyst has been a frequent user of the cycle
path for more than five years and had never experienced any problems.
But Danny's ordeal began at 5.30pm as he was riding his recumbent
bicycle along a stretch of path, between Victoria Road and Poplar Road
in North Common.
He said: "It all happened so quickly.
"I was cycling along the path, unaware anything was wrong, when suddenly
I felt something tight on my throat.
I managed to brake and out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of
the fishing line tied to the trees.
"By that point I thought I was going to die. Although there was no
blood, my neck was very sore and I wondered if I had crushed my windpipe.
"At first I thought the line had snapped but then I saw it had simply
come undone at one end."
Danny immediately dialled 999 and told the police what had happened. He
was also concerned there could be other booby traps further along the path.
Then on Tuesday Danny again used the path to ride back from Saltford to
Kingswood. He was shocked when he noticed another length of fishing
line tied to exactly the same trees as before.
But this time the line had already been snapped and Danny was able to
untie the ends from the trees.
*Neck height*
He said: "The line that caught me on Monday was at neck height for a
recumbent rider, a BMX rider or a child.
"And the line yesterday, which had already been tripped, would have been
at neck height for an adult upright cyclist - it would have gone over my
head.
"If any reader knows the identity of the idiot who did this, they should
tell the police.
"Fortunately the line broke before the skin of my throat did.
"I wonder if the person responsible would have felt better if it had
gone the other way and they had possibly deprived two children of their
father."
Amazingly, when we met Danny at the path on Wednesday, we were horrified
to find a third snare had been strung up.
The path was constructed on the bed of the former Midland Railway which
closed for passenger traffic at the end of the 1960s. It was converted
to a path between 1979 and 1986.
The 13-mile path is currently open to walkers as well as cyclists and
most of it is owned by Bristol City Council, South Gloucestershire
Council and Bath and North East Somerset Council.
Helene Frankham, a spokeswoman for South Gloucestershire Council, denied
the authority had previously been contacted about any such incident on
the path. She said: "We do carry out regular inspections of the cycle
way and if any obstructions are found, or if anyone calls in to say
there is an obstruction, then we will remove it as soon as possible.
"It is very worrying that someone is doing this. We will make sure that
staff are aware it is going on."
Wayne Baker, spokesman for Avon and Somerset police, confirmed the
incidents had been reported and were being investigated.
He also urged anyone who has seen anything suspicious on the path,
particularly in the early evening, to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
</Observer>
--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine