Fishing line

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    Needless to say I phoned the police straight away, but I don't imagine
    they'll be able to do anything. Given how busy the cyclepath is during
    rush hour it must have been tied on well under a minute before I hit it,
    but I didn't see anybody around.

    It really feels quite sore:
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck.jpg>

  2. Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes:

    > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.
    >
    > Needless to say I phoned the police straight away, but I don't imagine
    > they'll be able to do anything. Given how busy the cyclepath is
    > during rush hour it must have been tied on well under a minute before
    > I hit it, but I didn't see anybody around.
    >
    > It really feels quite sore:
    > <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck.jpg>

    That really must feel quite sore. I take it it was a 999/112 call to
    the police. I'd say that could easily count as attempted murder if
    it's a deliberate attack to the throat.

    Urgh :(

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote in news:chi5ob$kjr$1
    @newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.
    >
    > Needless to say I phoned the police straight away, but I don't imagine
    > they'll be able to do anything. Given how busy the cyclepath is during
    > rush hour it must have been tied on well under a minute before I hit it,
    > but I didn't see anybody around.
    >
    > It really feels quite sore:
    > <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck.jpg>

    Ouchie.

    Who in their right mind would think it funny to put fishing line across a
    cycle path?!?

    The mind boggles.

    --
    Brian

  4. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Brian
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Who in their right mind would think it funny to put fishing line
    > across a cycle path?!?

    We did it regularly during WW2 - stainless wire rather than fishing
    line.

    > The mind boggles.

    and the heads fell off.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island

  5. >I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    >the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    Jeez Danny! That's *horrible*! Have you had a doc check it out. You should, you
    know, on the off-chance plod finds out who did it. I know, I know, pigs may fly
    sooner, but you should you know.

    Take care.

    *hugs* helen s

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    Nasty. Glad to hear no serious damage was done to your person.

    d.

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > That really must feel quite sore. I take it it was a 999/112 call to
    > the police.

    It was indeed. I agonised over it for a few seconds (long enough to
    satisfy myself that I didn't need medical attention) and decided that if
    there was any chance of there being any more lines then it was an
    emergency. The operator didn't disagree.

    > I'd say that could easily count as attempted murder if
    > it's a deliberate attack to the throat.

    Quite. I've written a letter to the local paper, I doubt there's any
    more that can be done:

    "If any reader knows the identity of the idiot who stretched a fishing
    line across the cyclepath through North Common during the evening rush
    hour on Monday 6 September, please, please tell the police.

    "Fortunately the line broke before the skin at my throat. I wonder if
    this person would have felt better if it had gone the other way and they
    had possibly deprived two children of their father."

    Of course, for most adult cyclists the line would have been at chest or
    waist level rather than neck level. It's just recumbent riders, BMX
    riders and children who would really have been at risk.

  8. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    > Jeez Danny! That's *horrible*! Have you had a doc check it out. You should, you
    > know, on the off-chance plod finds out who did it. I know, I know, pigs may fly
    > sooner, but you should you know.

    If it gets worse before it gets better then I'll get it checked out. It
    occurred to me that the line could have been smeared with something
    nasty, but I think it's unlikely. I inspected the line after the incident.

    We've got plenty of photos, anyway. The picture on my website was taken
    as soon as I got home, about 10 minutes after the event. Over the next
    hour or so it developed into a thin, red line. I can't see it properly,
    but DW reckons it'll be with me for a few days.

    Jenny keeps asking what it is and whether it hurts. I had a sore throat
    last week, so she's also been asking if I've got a sore throat :)

  9. Ian

    Ian Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:11:38 +0100, Danny Colyer
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    >the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    I've seen this before, in my area. Fortunately, I was in a car at the
    time I hit it (lower screen level).

    I called the police, but they were not bothered as it didn't damage my
    car!

    So, no property damaged, no crime! Astonishing reaction, which I let
    them know about!

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Sandy Morton
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Brian
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Who in their right mind would think it funny to put fishing line
    >> across a cycle path?!?

    > We did it regularly during WW2 - stainless wire rather than fishing
    > line.

    Although I'm not old enough to remember that, that was exactly what I
    was thinking of. The intention was clearly to injure or kill. Danny was
    lucky that it broke - it could have been very very nasty indeed.

    ; ... of course nothing said here will be taken notice of by
    ; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or
    ; www-html. -- George Lund

  11. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > It really feels quite sore:
    > <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck.jpg>

    Ouch! That looks like a painful red...

    ....shirt

    :)

    On a less frivolous note, I have to wonder what is happening to people
    that they think random acts of violence against complete strangers are a
    fun thing to do.

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  12. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > Although I'm not old enough to remember that, that was exactly what I
    > was thinking of. The intention was clearly to injure or kill. Danny was
    > lucky that it broke - it could have been very very nasty indeed.

    There was certainly a moment, before I stopped and before the line
    broke, when I thought I was going to die. After stopping I was amazed
    when I put my hand to my neck and my fingers came away with no blood on
    them. I had to stop another cyclist and get a second opinion.

    My own suspicion is that it was probably a couple of kids who really
    hadn't thought about the possible consequences of their actions. I'm
    not sure whether that's more or less scary than someone setting out with
    the intention to injure or kill.

    Of course, kids can set out with the 'playful' intention to injure or
    kill without really thinking about what that means. (I read Lord of the
    Flies last month).

  13. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > Who in their right mind would think it funny to put fishing line across a
    > cycle path?!?

    Welcome to Great Britain :-(

    John B

  14. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    James Annan [email protected] opined the following...
    > On a less frivolous note, I have to wonder what is happening to people
    > that they think random acts of violence against complete strangers are a
    > fun thing to do.

    It does open the field up though. If it's acceptable to them, then they
    wont object when the complement is returned. Sign me up for the
    retaliation squad if you ever find the culprits! I see no reason to
    shoot them first, just burn the bodies! :)

    Jon

  15. Ian

    Ian Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:35:10 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The intention was clearly to injure or kill. Danny was
    >lucky that it broke - it could have been very very nasty indeed.

    Mmm, I doubt that very much. Intention to injure - possibly. Fishing
    line has a breaking strain, even the heaviest line (that I can find in
    my fishing bag) would snap. More likely some kids trying to cause
    someone to fall off bike, for their *entertainment*.

    Now if it was wire...the thought horrifies me.

  16. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes:
    > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    ouch!

    Many years ago I got taken down by a string across a quiet road.
    Some kiddies were playing tennis over it.

    More recently I was walking a farm track that was also a bridleway,
    when I hit a wire. It was dark (winter evening) - I daresay I'd
    have seen it in daylight. But this one was electrified!

    --
    Nick Kew

  17. On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:11:38 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

    > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    Is there any CCTV coverage of the area?
    Seems to me the sort of incident where CCTV footage would be invaluable.

  18. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    JohnB wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    >> Who in their right mind would think it funny to put fishing line
    >> across a cycle path?!?

    > Welcome to Great Britain :-(

    To be very selfish, I hope the local eejits in my part of Great Britain
    never get the idea - they have enough little tricks up their sleeves.

    --
    Brian G

    To reply, replace junk with brian

  19. ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]>typed

    > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:11:38 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

    > > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    > Is there any CCTV coverage of the area?
    > Seems to me the sort of incident where CCTV footage would be invaluable.

    Even if there was CCTV coverage, do you think a fishing line, invisible
    to a bike rider would be visible? Anything else would just look like
    kids running about.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  20. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    Bloody hell!
    Good thing the line broke and not your poor neck.

    > Needless to say I phoned the police straight away, but I don't imagine
    > they'll be able to do anything. Given how busy the cyclepath is during
    > rush hour it must have been tied on well under a minute before I hit it,
    > but I didn't see anybody around.

    Rotten swines. Definitely a case for de-goolie-ing with rusty pliers I'd
    say.

    > It really feels quite sore:
    > <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck.jpg>

    Ouch! I hope you feel better soon. Any other damage? Did you fall off?

    --
    Carol
    "I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"