Fishing line

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.
    >
    > Needless to say I phoned the police straight away, but I don't imagine
    > they'll be able to do anything. Given how busy the cyclepath is during
    > rush hour it must have been tied on well under a minute before I hit it,
    > but I didn't see anybody around.
    >
    > It really feels quite sore:
    > <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck.jpg>

    Danny, that's appalling. The one consolation is that the outcome was
    not as severe as it might have been. The fact that the line was tied
    relatively low leads me to think that it was just kids larking about
    and, I hope to God, not really aware just how bad it could have been.
    Hope you recover quickly.

    --
    Dave...

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > Even if there was CCTV coverage, do you think a fishing line, invisible
    > to a bike rider would be visible? Anything else would just look like
    > kids running about.

    CCTV coverage wouldn't have seen the line, but they ought to be able to
    look back at the tapes and find a shot of the little toerag tying the
    line on in the first place. That's academic really, though, as there
    isn't any CCTV coverage there. There isn't even street lighting (not
    that it was dark anyway).

    I took some digital photos of the area this morning, I'll put them on my
    website and post the links a bit later.

  3. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Carol Hague wrote:
    > Ouch! I hope you feel better soon. Any other damage? Did you fall off?

    No other damage, my neck's still a bit sore. No, I didn't fall off.
    I'm not clear on the exact sequence of events, but it was something
    along the lines of:
    1) I felt something on my neck.
    2) I caught a glimpse of the fishing line out of the corner of my eye.
    3) I thought I was going to die.
    4) I started braking.
    5) The line broke.
    6) I stopped.

    The only things I can be sure of are that point 1 happened first and
    point 6 happened last. The other bits could have happened in any order.

  4. davek

    davek Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Quite. I've written a letter to the local paper, I doubt there's any
    > more that can be done:

    Thinking about it, I reckon the paper might be interested in this as a
    story, especially as you've got the picture of your neck - give the
    editorial desk a call, you could be front page news!

    d.

  5. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Dave Kahn wrote:
    > Danny, that's appalling. The one consolation is that the outcome was
    > not as severe as it might have been. The fact that the line was tied
    > relatively low leads me to think that it was just kids larking about
    > and, I hope to God, not really aware just how bad it could have been.

    I had a look this evening and there was a second line tied to the same
    tree, which hadn't been there when I stopped to take photos this
    morning. It had already been tripped by somebody before I got there.
    This one was a bit higher - about neck height for an adult upright cyclist.

    In both cases there was still enough line to cross the path. I now
    believe that the knots came untied at the other end, rather than the
    line breaking.

    I took some more photos, removed both lines, and I phoned the police
    again when I got home. I think this could well be attempted murder and
    someone who's done it twice might just keep trying until they get a result.

    > Hope you recover quickly.

    Thanks.

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    davek suggested:
    > Thinking about it, I reckon the paper might be interested in this as a
    > story, especially as you've got the picture of your neck - give the
    > editorial desk a call, you could be front page news!

    That's not a bad idea. I'll have to look up the number.

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I wrote:
    > No other damage, my neck's still a bit sore.

    Actually, come to think of it, I suppose there's the psychological
    damage. I rode home this evening and kept thinking "Is that a fishing
    line or just a reflection in my glasses". The wire fence between Bitton
    railway and the cyclepath caught my eye several times, and on one
    occasion I hit the brakes before realising that what I'd seen was the
    sun glinting on a phone line strung between poles in an adjacent field
    (the cyclepath runs along an embankment, so the line would have been at
    about cyclepath level).

  8. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:29:57 +0100, davek <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    > > Quite. I've written a letter to the local paper, I doubt there's any
    > > more that can be done:

    > Thinking about it, I reckon the paper might be interested in this as a
    > story, especially as you've got the picture of your neck - give the
    > editorial desk a call, you could be front page news!

    And especially as it's been set up a second time - "Local leisure
    facility repeatedly booby-trapped with murderous intent and local
    police do nothing" sort of story. How about comparison with a sniper
    shooting at people randomly in teh high street - I expect there'd be
    some police action were that to occur.

    regfards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I wrote:
    > I took some digital photos of the area this morning, I'll put them on my
    > website and post the links a bit later.

    Right. Here's my neck after about an hour:
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck1.jpg>

    Here it is after 5 hours:
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck5.jpg>

    And here it is after 28 hours:
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-neck28.jpg>

    Here's the tree:
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-fishingline.jpg>

    And this is where it happened (the line was tied to the tree in the left
    hand side of the picture):
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-poplarroad.jpg>

  10. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I wrote:
    > > No other damage, my neck's still a bit sore.

    > Actually, come to think of it, I suppose there's the psychological
    > damage. I rode home this evening and kept thinking "Is that a fishing
    > line or just a reflection in my glasses". The wire fence between Bitton
    > railway and the cyclepath caught my eye several times, and on one
    > occasion I hit the brakes before realising that what I'd seen was the
    > sun glinting on a phone line strung between poles in an adjacent field
    > (the cyclepath runs along an embankment, so the line would have been at
    > about cyclepath level).

    That's awful. I hope you feel better both physically and mentally soon.

    I'd say I hope the plod catch the swines who did it, but alas, I doubt
    they will, or that they'd be any use if they did :-(

    --
    Carol
    "I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"

  11. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:36:27 +0100 someone who may be [email protected]
    (Carol Hague) wrote this:-

    >I'd say I hope the plod catch the swines who did it, but alas, I doubt
    >they will, or that they'd be any use if they did :-(

    They (and their colleagues in the government prosecution service)
    would probably try and prosecute Danny for riding into the fishing
    line, thus demonstrating he was not paying attention to where he was
    going. As you are aware the police have a tendency to pick on the
    victim.

    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  12. Peter Amey

    Peter Amey Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched across
    > the cyclepath, tied between two trees.

    [snip]

    Danny,

    Glad you're OK(ish). One thing occurs to me: if you were on the
    Speedmachine then the line was strung at a rather strange height.
    Either the setters were inept as well as evil, or they were targeting
    children which is even worse (or I suppose they may have been targeting
    recumbents - but that seems a bit unlikely).

    Best wishes

    Peter

  13. Peter Amey <[email protected]> writes:

    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    > > I've just broken a fishing line with my neck. It was stretched
    > > across the cyclepath, tied between two trees.
    > >

    > [snip]
    >
    > Danny,
    >
    > Glad you're OK(ish). One thing occurs to me: if you were on the
    > Speedmachine then the line was strung at a rather strange
    > height. Either the setters were inept as well as evil, or they were
    > targeting children which is even worse (or I suppose they may have
    > been targeting recumbents - but that seems a bit unlikely).

    My suspicion is that it was set specifically for him, seeing as the
    one set later on was set at adult upright bike height.

  14. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > My suspicion is that it was set specifically for him, seeing as the
    > one set later on was set at adult upright bike height.

    There was a third one set today, again at adult upright height.

  15. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    davek suggested:
    > Thinking about it, I reckon the paper might be interested in this as a
    > story, especially as you've got the picture of your neck - give the
    > editorial desk a call, you could be front page news!

    At your suggestion, I e-mailed a journalist for the Bristol Observer
    last night. He phoned me at 09:00 this morning, took some details and
    arranged for me to meet a photographer on my way home. When I arrived,
    the photographer was inspecting the new line that had been set today.

  16. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >
    >> My suspicion is that it was set specifically for him, seeing as the
    >> one set later on was set at adult upright bike height.

    > There was a third one set today, again at adult upright height.

    So, all it needs is a police stakeout, and they'll catch the bastards
    *before* someone ends up garotted. Fat chance of that actually
    happening though...

    --

    Velvet

  17. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Velvet vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    >
    >> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >>
    >>> My suspicion is that it was set specifically for him, seeing as the
    >>> one set later on was set at adult upright bike height.

    >> There was a third one set today, again at adult upright height.
    >>

    > So, all it needs is a police stakeout, and they'll catch the bastards
    > *before* someone ends up garotted. Fat chance of that actually
    > happening though...

    Think I'd be tempted, with mates from the Rugby Club, to stake it out myself
    and mete out a little home-spun justice ..

    Or at least catch the buggers and frog-march them to the local nick .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

  18. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:
    > Think I'd be tempted, with mates from the Rugby Club, to stake it out myself
    > and mete out a little home-spun justice ..
    >
    > Or at least catch the buggers and frog-march them to the local nick .. ;)

    I'm tempted to knock off early one day and at the very least lurk in the
    bushes with a camera. Finding somewhere out of sight to lurk might be
    difficult, though.

  19. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:

    > Velvet vaguely muttered something like ...
    >
    >>Danny Colyer wrote:

    >>>There was a third one set today, again at adult upright height.
    >>>

    >>So, all it needs is a police stakeout, and they'll catch the bastards
    >>*before* someone ends up garotted. Fat chance of that actually
    >>happening though...

    > Think I'd be tempted, with mates from the Rugby Club, to stake it out myself
    > and mete out a little home-spun justice ..
    >
    > Or at least catch the buggers and frog-march them to the local nick .. ;)

    I would be too, but not everyone's like that (or so I'm led to believe)...

    Of course, the downside is that although it makes you *feel* better,
    frogmarching to local nick will, in all likelyhood, not do any good,
    since it'd just be your word against theirs.. and these days you'd
    probably be leaving yourself open to a charge of assault or something
    for doing it!

    --

    Velvet

  20. >At your suggestion, I e-mailed a journalist for the Bristol Observer
    >last night. He phoned me at 09:00 this morning, took some details and
    >arranged for me to meet a photographer on my way home. When I arrived,
    >the photographer was inspecting the new line that had been set today.

    Excellent news. Hopefully plod will be shamed into taking this as seriously as
    it should be.

    Hoping for a positive outcome.

    Cheers, helen s