Fishing line

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    > Excellent news. Hopefully plod will be shamed into taking this as seriously as
    > it should be.

    I hope so. Who knows, I might even manage to knock the council's new
    recycling scheme off the front page for the first time in weeks.

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > I'm tempted to knock off early one day and at the very least lurk in the
    > bushes with a camera. Finding somewhere out of sight to lurk might be
    > difficult, though.

    The irony is you'll probably get arrested if you do that ;-)

    Tony

  3. On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:25:51 +0100, Danny Colyer
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >There was a third one set today, again at adult upright height.

    Shoot them and burn the bodies. Definitely.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I'm tempted to knock off early one day and at the very least lurk in the
    > bushes with a camera. Finding somewhere out of sight to lurk might be
    > difficult, though.

    You might not want to wear one of your more colouful outfits for this purpose.

    --
    Dave...

  5. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > My suspicion is that it was set specifically for him, seeing as the
    > one set later on was set at adult upright bike height.

    First we'll get the juggler, then we'll go for a grown-up.

    --
    Dave...

  6. [email protected] (Dave Kahn) writes:

    > Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > My suspicion is that it was set specifically for him, seeing as
    > > the one set later on was set at adult upright bike height.

    > First we'll get the juggler, then we'll go for a grown-up.

    Sounds like the punchline to a joke.

  7. Peter Amey

    Peter Amey Guest

    Dave Kahn wrote:
    > Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    >>My suspicion is that it was set specifically for him, seeing as the
    >>one set later on was set at adult upright bike height.

    > First we'll get the juggler, then we'll go for a grown-up.

    Well of course the really nasty thing is that they /did/ go for the jugular.

    Sorry

    Peter

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > [email protected] (Dave Kahn) writes:
    >
    >> Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...
    >>
    >> > My suspicion is that it was set specifically for him, seeing as
    >> > the one set later on was set at adult upright bike height.

    >> First we'll get the juggler, then we'll go for a grown-up.

    > Sounds like the punchline to a joke.

    Well, you no what they say about wolves going for the juggler...

    ; ... of course nothing said here will be taken notice of by
    ; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or
    ; www-html. -- George Lund

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Yesterday I wrote:
    > At your suggestion, I e-mailed a journalist for the Bristol Observer
    > last night. He phoned me at 09:00 this morning, took some details and
    > arranged for me to meet a photographer on my way home. When I arrived,
    > the photographer was inspecting the new line that had been set today.

    The journalist phoned me again this morning. The story will be on the
    front page of this week's Bristol Observer and will probably also be in
    the Evening Post.

    Yes, Jack, I've considered the possibility of press coverage giving kids
    ideas. OTOH press coverage will alert far more people to the danger
    than my postings to urc and a couple of cycling mailing lists could ever
    do, it will encourage people to keep an eye out for suspicious behaviour
    and it will probably result in some parents commenting to their
    children on how stupid it is to string fishing line across a cyclepath.
    If the lines were set by kids who hadn't thought about the
    consequences, the story might even result in them hearing other people
    expressing disbelief that anyone could do something so vicious and stupid.

    To make the story more powerful, I have encouraged the journalist to
    make a big thing of the fact that I have two young children who could
    have been deprived of their father.

    When I cut the lines I cut them a couple of inches from the trunk,
    taking care to leave at least some of the evidence in situ. When I
    passed by this evening (an hour later than usual due to a cock-up in the
    scheduling of a data transfer) there was no sign of any fishing line.
    It may be that there was a line this evening that had already been
    removed, but a lot of people saw me posing for photographs yesterday and
    I think it more likely that the perp has decided he's too likely to get
    caught if he does it again.

    When I was looking for the line this evening I heard an expletive coming
    from one of a pair of cyclists on the other side of the bridge and
    wondered if a line had been set there. But the expletive was then
    followed by the question: "Why don't you keep your dog under control,
    you stupid bitch?". Some things will never change :-(

  10. On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:12:10 +0100, Danny Colyer
    <[email protected]>:

    >To make the story more powerful, I have encouraged the journalist to
    >make a big thing of the fact that I have two young children who could
    >have been deprived of their father.

    I would also point out that the line that got you was designed either
    specifically for you or, more likely, to get children.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? suggested:
    > I would also point out that the line that got you was designed either
    > specifically for you or, more likely, to get children.

    I don't want to appear too paranoid, and I certainly don't want the perp
    to think that I think that he was out to get me. I considered asking to
    remain anonymous, in case the story made me a target. But if they print
    a picture of me on the Street Machine (the photographer took several)
    then I think a couple of hundred people will recognise me, and people
    are more likely to sympathise with someone they recognise.

    I *did* point out that the first line would have been at neck height for
    a BMX rider or a child.

  12. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:12:10 +0100, Danny Colyer
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >To make the story more powerful, I have encouraged the journalist to
    > >make a big thing of the fact that I have two young children who could
    > >have been deprived of their father.

    > I would also point out that the line that got you was designed either
    > specifically for you or, more likely, to get children.

    Not necesarily - malice v. incompetence probably applies.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  13. davek

    davek Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > To make the story more powerful, I have encouraged the journalist to
    > make a big thing of the fact that I have two young children who could
    > have been deprived of their father.

    Great. Good job well done. This is precisely what local press are for.

    d.

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:35:18 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
    >('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected]yahoo.co.uk (Dave Kahn) writes:
    >>
    >>> Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:<[email protected]>...

    >>> First we'll get the juggler, then we'll go for a grown-up.

    >> Sounds like the punchline to a joke.

    >Well, you no what they say about wolves going for the juggler...

    Or something in a similar vein.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

  15. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 9/9/04 9:12 pm, in article [email protected]hnet, "Ian
    Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Sep, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:12:10 +0100, Danny Colyer
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> <[email protected]>:
    >>
    >>> To make the story more powerful, I have encouraged the journalist to
    >>> make a big thing of the fact that I have two young children who could
    >>> have been deprived of their father.

    >> I would also point out that the line that got you was designed either
    >> specifically for you or, more likely, to get children.

    > Not necesarily - malice v. incompetence probably applies.

    Or actual competence. Instead of going for the throat (which is what we have
    all assumed they were doing) maybe they went for the bars to stop the bike
    without so much risk to the rider. Because the SM is somewhat unusual, the
    perps wouldn't necessarily have expected a head to come along at waist
    height.

    Or they were just plain incompetent.

    ...d

  16. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 18:58:17 GMT someone who may be Velvet
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Of course, the downside is that although it makes you *feel* better,
    >frogmarching to local nick will, in all likelyhood, not do any good,
    >since it'd just be your word against theirs.. and these days you'd
    >probably be leaving yourself open to a charge of assault or something
    >for doing it!

    No doubt the heinous crime of upsetting a little dear and their
    social worker:)

    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  17. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I wrote:
    > The story will be on the
    > front page of this week's Bristol Observer and will probably also be in
    > the Evening Post.

    Here's the Observer piece (text below). I wonder how many people will
    spot the mistake on the front page:
    <URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/fishingline/>

    Doesn't seem to be in the Evening Post today, but maybe tomorrow or Monday.

    This afternoon I noticed a laminated poster at Bitton Station bearing a
    picture of my neck and a warning about the fishing line. I presume that
    was put up by a member of the Bristol Cycling Campaign.

    <Observer>
    IDIOTS

    'I thought I was going to die' says trip wire cyclist

    EXCLUSIVE By Paul McLennan

    A cyclist has branded vandals 'irresponsible idiots' after badly
    injuring his neck when he rode into fishing line strung across a popular
    cycle path - SEE FULL STORY ON PAGE 2

    A cyclist thought he was going to die when he rode into fishing line
    tied across a popular bike path, causing lacerations to his neck.

    And to his amazement, another lethal snare had been set up the following
    day in exactly the same place.

    The line had been deliberately fastened to trees either side of the
    Bristol and Bath Railway Path, the main cycle route linking the two
    cities and used daily by commuters.

    Father-of-two Danny Colyer was riding back along the path to his
    Kingswood home after finishing work at his office in Saltford on Monday.

    The 31-year-old software analyst has been a frequent user of the cycle
    path for more than five years and had never experienced any problems.

    But Danny's ordeal began at 5.30pm as he was riding his recumbent
    bicycle along a stretch of path, between Victoria Road and Poplar Road
    in North Common.

    He said: "It all happened so quickly.

    "I was cycling along the path, unaware anything was wrong, when suddenly
    I felt something tight on my throat.

    I managed to brake and out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of
    the fishing line tied to the trees.

    "By that point I thought I was going to die. Although there was no
    blood, my neck was very sore and I wondered if I had crushed my windpipe.

    "At first I thought the line had snapped but then I saw it had simply
    come undone at one end."

    Danny immediately dialled 999 and told the police what had happened. He
    was also concerned there could be other booby traps further along the path.

    Then on Tuesday Danny again used the path to ride back from Saltford to
    Kingswood. He was shocked when he noticed another length of fishing
    line tied to exactly the same trees as before.

    But this time the line had already been snapped and Danny was able to
    untie the ends from the trees.

    *Neck height*

    He said: "The line that caught me on Monday was at neck height for a
    recumbent rider, a BMX rider or a child.

    "And the line yesterday, which had already been tripped, would have been
    at neck height for an adult upright cyclist - it would have gone over my
    head.

    "If any reader knows the identity of the idiot who did this, they should
    tell the police.

    "Fortunately the line broke before the skin of my throat did.

    "I wonder if the person responsible would have felt better if it had
    gone the other way and they had possibly deprived two children of their
    father."

    Amazingly, when we met Danny at the path on Wednesday, we were horrified
    to find a third snare had been strung up.

    The path was constructed on the bed of the former Midland Railway which
    closed for passenger traffic at the end of the 1960s. It was converted
    to a path between 1979 and 1986.

    The 13-mile path is currently open to walkers as well as cyclists and
    most of it is owned by Bristol City Council, South Gloucestershire
    Council and Bath and North East Somerset Council.

    Helene Frankham, a spokeswoman for South Gloucestershire Council, denied
    the authority had previously been contacted about any such incident on
    the path. She said: "We do carry out regular inspections of the cycle
    way and if any obstructions are found, or if anyone calls in to say
    there is an obstruction, then we will remove it as soon as possible.

    "It is very worrying that someone is doing this. We will make sure that
    staff are aware it is going on."

    Wayne Baker, spokesman for Avon and Somerset police, confirmed the
    incidents had been reported and were being investigated.

    He also urged anyone who has seen anything suspicious on the path,
    particularly in the early evening, to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
    </Observer>

  18. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I wrote:
    > Here's the Observer piece (text below). I wonder how many people will
    > spot the mistake on the front page:
    > <URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/fishingline/>

    There'll also be a piece in tomorrows Bath Chronicle. This one didn't
    have any input from me, because the journalist wasn't able to get hold
    of me in time. By a stroke of luck I had planned to go into Bath
    tomorrow anyway, so I'll be able to pick a copy up.

  19. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Here's the Observer piece (text below). I wonder how many people will
    > spot the mistake on the front page...

    Flippin' 'eck ;-)

    John B

  20. D.M. Procida

    D.M. Procida Guest

    JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Here's the Observer piece (text below). I wonder how many people will
    > > spot the mistake on the front page...

    > Flippin' 'eck ;-)

    It's probably not a mistake - they often do that deliberately, to make a
    photograph fit their layout better.

    In all of their publicity and website pictures of the original iMac,
    Apple did the same thing. I've no idea why.

    Daniele
    --
    Apple Juice Ltd
    Chapter Arts Centre