Fishing line

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    D.M. Procida wrote:
    > It's probably not a mistake - they often do that deliberately, to make a
    > photograph fit their layout better.

    I'm sure it's not really a mistake, and it probably wouldn't have looked
    as good on the page the other way round. What first drew my attention
    to it wasn't that the chainset was on the wrong side, or that my mirror
    was looking over my left shoulder, but simply that I didn't remember
    being photographed from the left hand side.

    The photographer started by taking a few pictures from directly in
    front. I was wearing red, unpadded Lycra shorts at the time and after
    looking at the pictures he asked if we could somehow get some "legs
    together" shots! I suggested he might be better off taking pictures
    from the side.

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I wrote:
    > There'll also be a piece in tomorrows Bath Chronicle. This one didn't
    > have any input from me, because the journalist wasn't able to get hold
    > of me in time. By a stroke of luck I had planned to go into Bath
    > tomorrow anyway, so I'll be able to pick a copy up.

    And here it is:
    <URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/fishingline/index.html#chronicle>

    Fishing line deliberately strung across Bath to Bristol cycle path
    causes serious neck injury to rider

    Cyclists warned over wire trap

    By Emma Cooney

    Police are warning cyclists to be vigilant after potentially lethal
    fishing wire was found stretched across a cycle path.

    A cyclist from South Gloucestershire was injured by the wire, which was
    at neck height across the Bath to Bristol track.

    The next night he stumbled across the wire again but it had already been
    tripped.

    Victim Danny Colyer e-mailed a warning to cycling groups in the region
    to prevent the same thing happening to another unwitting rider.

    Bath's Avon Valley Cycles has forwarded the warning to customers and
    condemned the trap as lethal.

    The incident happened at about 5.30pm on Monday in North Common between
    Victoria Road and Poplar Road, about 20 yards from the Poplar Road
    bridge on the edge of Bitton.

    Mr Colyer's e-mail spread like wildfire across the cycling community and
    included a picture of his injuries - a red weal across his throat.

    The e-mail says: "I was garotted by a fishing line strung across the
    cycle path. The line was at neck height for a recumbent rider, a BMX
    rider or a child. The next evening I found a second line tied to the
    same tree, this time at about neck height for an adult upright cyclist.

    "Clearly a fishing line strung across a cycle path ought to be treated
    as attempted murder, and I fear that someone who has done it twice might
    just keep trying until they get a result. So watch out."

    Long distance cyclist John Atkins, 63, of the Oval, Bath, who also
    received the e-mailed warning, uses the cycle path regularly.

    He said: "Apparently he was not going that fast. It could have been
    much more serious. A lot of families and children use that path. I
    think it is appalling someone has done this."

    Director of Avon Valley Cycles, Gary Cooper, said: "There have been
    quite a few incidents along the track, it does seem to be getting worse.
    This could be lethal."

    A spokesman from Avon and Somerset Constabulary said the force was
    appealing for witnesses.

    He said: "We have had a complaint and urge cyclists to be vigilant. If
    they see anything suspicious like this they should contact the police."

    Anyone with information should contact the police on 0845 456 7000.

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I wrote:
    >> There'll also be a piece in tomorrows Bath Chronicle. This one
    >> didn't have any input from me, because the journalist wasn't able to
    >> get hold
    >> of me in time. By a stroke of luck I had planned to go into Bath
    >> tomorrow anyway, so I'll be able to pick a copy up.

    > And here it is:

    <URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/fishingline/index.html#chronicle>

    > Fishing line deliberately strung across Bath to Bristol cycle path
    > causes serious neck injury to rider
    >
    > A spokesman from Avon and Somerset Constabulary said the force was
    > appealing for witnesses.
    >
    > He said: "We have had a complaint and urge cyclists to be vigilant.
    > If they see anything suspicious like this they should contact the
    > police."
    >
    > Anyone with information should contact the police on 0845 456 7000.

    As a matter of interest, Danny, has anyone from the police been in
    contact since the newspaper coverage?

    Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding torch.

  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Simon Brooke wondered:
    > As a matter of interest, Danny, has anyone from the police been in
    > contact since the newspaper coverage?

    No. I'm quite surprised they didn't come round to at least collect the
    lines, as they have been informed that I have all 3 lines in my possession.

  5. Hi Danny,

    Sorry to hear about your problems. I've never come across anything
    like this before. I hope that you are recovering OK. I think that just
    the stress of cycling along, wondering whether another trap has been
    set is pretty unpleasant.

    I've noticed over the last few weeks that the part of the cycle path
    where you were attacked has lots more kids hanging around it than
    normal, but nothing that I could definitely class as suspicious. I'll
    be much more vigilant in this area from now on. I guess that even if
    the trap were set though, I would pass right under it, even if its set
    at your neck height (I have a Windcheetah trike).

    Have you, or anyone else, noticed the increase in motorbikes on the
    path? I passed three on my way home yesterday, and two on Monday -
    maybe that is the latest form of entertainment. I'll make sure my
    camera is ready next time I go down there.

    best wishes,

    dan.

    Dan Towner
    http://www.towner.org.uk

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Daniel Towner wrote:
    > Sorry to hear about your problems. I've never come across anything
    > like this before. I hope that you are recovering OK. I think that just
    > the stress of cycling along, wondering whether another trap has been
    > set is pretty unpleasant.

    Thanks, yes it is. After 3 weeks the scar is still visible, I hope it's
    not permanent.

    > I've noticed over the last few weeks that the part of the cycle path
    > where you were attacked has lots more kids hanging around it than
    > normal, but nothing that I could definitely class as suspicious.

    I often notice a lot of kids hanging around at the drinking fountain,
    but that's nothing new.

    > Have you, or anyone else, noticed the increase in motorbikes on the
    > path? I passed three on my way home yesterday, and two on Monday -
    > maybe that is the latest form of entertainment.

    I haven't seen any for a while, actually. The number of the local
    police is programmed into my mobile, and I always phone them with the
    registration number immediately after I see a motorbike on the
    cyclepath. I doubt that they ever do anything, though.