Fist fixed gear cog change

Steve Braun

Guest
I'm pretty new to this fixed gear world and when it comes to things mechanical, I'm at a bit of a
loss. I need to swap out rear cogs. I've successfully removed the old cog. Its reinstallation of the
new one that I'm unclear about.

1)Should I use Loctite?

2) If so, which color?

3) I assume I would apply the Loctite to the threads of the hub, not those of the cog, correct?

4) Or. should I just grease the cog and hub threads and be on my way?

5) As I spin the new cog on to the hub it spins freely and then gets quite difficult to turn with
about 1/16th of an inch to go. Is this normal? (Its a new Dura-Ace cog going on to an old Suzue
track hub.)

6) And finally, am I correct to assume that the flange on the cog points in toward the center
of the hub?

Thanks for your help.

Steve Braun Tucson

"Steve Braun" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm pretty new to this fixed gear world and when it comes to things mechanical, I'm at a bit of a
> loss. I need to swap out rear cogs. I've successfully removed the old cog. Its reinstallation of
> the new one that I'm unclear about.
>
> 1)Should I use Loctite?

No, it's not necessary. I think a lock ring is a good idea, but if you don't use one, then make sure
the cog is gorilla-tight. Locktite isn't strong enough to resist backpedaling forces.

> 2) If so, which color?

Red bikes are the fastest. (That's a joke, son.)

> 3) I assume I would apply the Loctite to the threads of the hub, not those of the cog, correct?
>
> 4) Or. should I just grease the cog and hub threads and be on my way?

Bingo.

> 5) As I spin the new cog on to the hub it spins freely and then gets quite difficult to turn with
> about 1/16th of an inch to go. Is this normal? (Its a new Dura-Ace cog going on to an old Suzue
> track hub.)

Probably a bit of mung in the threads. If the threads are clean and in good shape, just screw it
down tight until the spacing flange butts up against the stop on the hub at the end of the threads.

> 6) And finally, am I correct to assume that the flange on the cog points in toward the center of
> the hub?

Yep.

Ted Bennett

sjb-<< I'm pretty new to this fixed gear world and when it comes to things mechanical, I'm at a bit
of a loss. I need to swap out rear cogs. I've successfully removed the old cog

<< 4) Or. should I just grease the cog and hub threads and be on my way?

do this....

<< 5) As I spin the new cog on to the hub it spins freely and then gets quite difficult to turn with
about 1/16th of an inch to go. Is this normal? (Its a new Dura-Ace cog going on to an old Suzue
track hub.)

As long as it's straight-just tighten it.<< \

6) And finally, am I correct to assume that the flange on the cog points in toward the center
of the hub?

yessir-

(7)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"