Fistula troubles: painful and won't seem to go away :(

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Dec 27, 2005.

  1. I've had 3 Fistula surgeries in the last year now, and nothing seems to
    work in closing these things up :(

    They first went in surgically to "drain" out the mucus collecting
    inside the cheeks of my butt, they put a "drain" in and a Seeton Wire
    in, to help the Fistulas to drain.

    it was working fine, until the doctor took the "seeton wire" out, then
    the holes on the outside started to heal up, and mucus started to
    collect inside my butt cheeks again :(

    so then, he did another surgery called a "Flap", where they take some
    of the other skin and attempt to "Flap" it over the hole inside,

    again, didn't work, don't know if the stitches came out, or what
    happened, but it didn't work :(

    so now, they want to put me on "remicade" which I'm a little scared
    about.
    Not real sure whats going to happen.

    I've been on SCD for the last 3 years, and its helped my Crohns disease
    so much, but yet I still have these Fistulas on the inside I guess.

    I'm just not sure what to do at this point. Remicade is "expensive"
    and I'm not even sure if thats going to work or not.

    anyone out there have any success getting Fistulas to close? and if so,
    what did you do?

    I don't know if stronger antibiotics is the answer, remicade, or
    something else,

    all I know is, I've been in "terrible" pain from these things, from the
    mucus collecting inside the butt cheeks, I'm pretty much despirate
    now, I don't know if a Colostomy bag is the answer, or remicade, or
    what,

    any ideas would be greatly appreciated

    thanks,

    Tom Coburn
    Crohns: 9 years now
    SCD: 3 years with improvement but still Fistulas problems

    Tags:

  2. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    || I've had 3 Fistula surgeries in the last year now, and nothing seems

    <OT crap snipped>
    Do you even realize that you are posting to a low-carb newsgroup? This post
    has absolutely nothing to do with a low-carb diet. Although judging by your
    other posts you ride the short bus anyway and probably have no clue where
    you are posting ...
    --
    Peter

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Tom Coburn
    > Crohns: 9 years now
    > SCD: 3 years with improvement but still Fistulas problems

    Proper packing, so the wounds can heal from the inside out like they are
    supposed to. That's what I've used for deep pocket abcesses in animals.

    Not sure if it'd work with fistulas, but it should?

    The packing is generally Iodine soaked to kill bacteria.

    How did the fistulas happen in the first place???

  4. I had a fistula form in my ass as well (to the right of the anus
    opening) a few months after I had reached my weight loss goals with
    Atkins. My Dr. said all the cheese I was eating over the months I was
    on Atkins was causing me to be constipated, which forced a piece of the
    'you know what lol' to form a small tunnel from the inside of the anus
    to into one of my ass cheeks. The 'you know what' gets in your cheek
    and causes an infection, thats where the fistula comes into play. I to
    went through the same thing you did, had it drained in the ER, but it
    kept coming back in the same exact spot. So finally back in April of
    this year, I had a fistulaotomy where it was surgically taken care of
    (that is the 'track' was cut out), it had to heal from the inside - out
    and all has been well ever since! He told me to stop hogging the
    cheese. I don't have chrons so I can't really comment on your
    situation but I know that most people with your disease, have life long
    problems with fistulas. This is something you need to be discussing
    with your doctor, not us!