Fit or fat? What is your body fat percentage?

I'm 18 and 5'7 got measured like 2 months ago, and came in at 135-140lbs and exactly 5.5% bodyfat with about 8lbs of total fat. It's a big jump i used to be 123lbs at the start of last year.

male teenager, 148.8 pounds, 12% body fat. used a tanita scale. i entered 5' 9" as my height,not sure on my height but its around there.

According to mine it changes between 6 and 9 %

I am 5'8.5" and weigh 136.

For me the lower the weight reading, the higher the body fate, I think due
to hydration levels. Im going to go into a bod pod in a few weeks and Ill
compare

I don't know how accurate Tanita monitors are, but they are precise (consistant). I am 6'4" and weigh 205, almost always in the morning after I get out of bed I am 13% BF, but before bed I am 8% according to mine(same weight). I don't know which measurement is closer to accurate, but I have almost 6 months of data to show it is very consistant, if time of day is consistant, which should show you a trend (losing or gaining BF). As far as the differences between morning and night, I have no clue, as my hydration level does not vary that much (at least I don't see how it could since my BW stays within a pound or so from night to morning).

I may be stating the obvious but make sure that you have set the right programm on the scale. I have a cheap and old Tanita with two programms. One for "normal" fitness levels and one for more that 10 hours of aerobic training per wk. We are talking for more than 8% difference between the two. I've found out that when I used the right calibration and compared the results with callipers or other methods I got +-1% deviation (max) which is pretty good in my opinion

How do you find your % of body fat? :confused: It is something I have been wondering for quite a while. I am 5ft 2in 103lbs

mtnrider said:
How do you find your % of body fat? :confused: It is something I have been wondering for quite a while. I am 5ft 2in 103lbs
The best way is to find a lab or other facility that has DEXA or underwater weighing as a means to determine body composition. These are the two best methods for assessing % body fat. DEXA being #1 and underwater weighing being a close second.

Your next best bet is to find a qualified person (probably at the same place that would have the DEXA or underwater weighing...or possibly at a local gym/fitness center) to do skinfold measurements. This type of measurement has significant variability among testers though.

Finally, you could use one of the many equations available, but that will give you the least reliable measure. To get a quick idea, you can do a Google search on equations for measuring body composition and enter your height, weight, and a few other measurements, and then get a rough idea of what your % body fat 'might' be.

I'm 186 cm (~6'1") and about 74.5 kg (~165 lb) and the tanita usually reads around 5%.

As you can see, good climber, shitty sprinter. I can ride off the front ok, but if i'm caught in a sprint finish, i'll end last.

how does the tatina just decide that since you are an athlete doing over 10 hrs aerobic a weel that there is going to be an 8 % difference in body fat? whats the deal with that.

so that means that my 155 pounds six foot frame would be jumping all over the place. sounds a little sketchy to me

tech.racer said:
2% for me a few months ago. I believe it has risen a little since then. Why would under 3% be dangerous?
There are two types of fat; Storage, Essential. Generally for males essential fat takes us to about 3%. This is the fat that is needed around your organs to keep them from bouncing around and other health related instances.

anderbike said:
how does the tatina just decide that since you are an athlete doing over 10 hrs aerobic a weel that there is going to be an 8 % difference in body fat? whats the deal with that.

so that means that my 155 pounds six foot frame would be jumping all over the place. sounds a little sketchy to me
Tanita is a sketchy way to measure body fat, especially for an athlete. Those cheapo scales can be used as a guage, but by no means are they an accurate measure of actual body composition.

Orange Fish said:
The best way is to find a lab or other facility that has DEXA or underwater weighing as a means to determine body composition. These are the two best methods for assessing % body fat. DEXA being #1 and underwater weighing being a close second.

There is one "best" method for determining *actual* body fat %. If anyone suggests it, run screaming...

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
There is one "best" method for determining *actual* body fat %. If anyone suggests it, run screaming...

ric
yeah a little drastic, requires burning to ashes and weighing the results as I recall.......

anderbike said:

I use this, it shows 9% on normal mode and 3.5% on athlete mode.
athlete mode is clearly wrong for me, but shows much more variation more in line with the level of changes I see & feel over a few months. ( so i assume the correct value is somewhere between ).

One question is - if it's accounting for differences in mitochondria density etc.. is it going to vary according to how well conditioned you are, not just your fat %.

6' 1.5", 195lbs (88.6 kg), and 8-9% BF according to Tanita. 50 yrs old.
Move aside, you little men. ;)

I think about 7%, considering I was tested at 9.1% when I was 15, and my muscles are much more visible now, with the gastroncemius and soleus separation clearly visible in my calves, etc. I still carry a bit around the waist but everywhere else I can barely pinch anything. I'm 182 cm and 77 kg. I used to lift a lot of weights and I did track and field (400 m dash) and in the summer I would ride the bike a lot, now I'm pretty focused on riding the bike only.

-Bikeguy

5'4" and 117lbs. I'm pretty skinny, but I have relatively broad shoulders. I could probably carry 140 fine, but I'm so active and the genes won't allow it !;) When I was younger, being skinny used to really bother me, but as I've gotten older I appreciate the fact that I can eat anything without worrying about ballooning up and my cholesterol level is phenominal. At my last physical the doc asked if I was a vegetarian and/or worked out a lot. I didn't tell him I eat my weight in carbs and don't often turn down a chance for fast food! I did a water submersion test a few years ago, for the hell of it and I was 3something%. I do wish I had bigger legs, though. With my build and quads like watermelons, I could climb like a friggin' goat!