fit question-need a little help fixing some pain

kyjelly

Guest
Hoping you guys can give me some help, I don't have a local shop
that's all that great at things like fitting a bicycle to the rider.

I've set up my bike according to all the guidelines I can find, and
then adjusted the seat down and a little forward (just a smidge for
both) to relieve some akward feelings in my legs. But two problems
remain. One is that my nuts go start going numb after about 3 miles.
The other is that I have a pain in the outside of my right foot in the
muscles that stretch from the ball of my foot to the heel. I'm using
clipless pedals with a mountain-style shoe so the cleat is embedded in
the sole and I can walk in them.

Overall, this bike is much more comfortable to ride than my last one,
which was a little too big. But Getting off the seat and pedaling is
really akward, like I'm too close to the handlebars when I do that.

Any help is much appreciated!

"kyjelly" (c'mon) wrote in part:

<snip tale of woe>

If your package is going numb, that's bad. Probably
means your seat is too low and your handlebars are
too high, or maybe your handlebars are just too high,
causing you to sit too heavily on the seat. Your seat is
really something to prop yourself up on as you ride,
not really a seat in the traditional sense. Even while
"sitting" you should really be standing on the pedals,
while using the seat and the hands to distribute the
weight. You should also micro-adjust your ass's
position on the seat quite often as you ride, keep it all
fresh. You might consider pointing the saddle ever so
slightly downward, especially if you do a lot of climbing.

Not sure about the foot problem. Padded insoles might
help, but if you use them raise the seat a tiny bit to
compensate.

Robert

kyjelly said:
[...]

If you have a soft seat with springs you might need to angle the nose of the seat down a little. You may also have the seat a little too high both of which could cause numbness. As for your foot problem I'm not sure. But I'm sure someone with more knowledge will respond shortly.

Dan.

"kyjelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hoping you guys can give me some help, I don't have a local shop
> that's all that great at things like fitting a bicycle to the rider.
>
> I've set up my bike according to all the guidelines I can find, and
> then adjusted the seat down and a little forward (just a smidge for
> both) to relieve some akward feelings in my legs. But two problems
> remain. One is that my nuts go start going numb after about 3 miles.

Pressure on the nerve just behind scrotum -- not good. You need to find a
saddle (or position) that doesn't press there. The saddle pressure should be
on the 2 bony points a bit further back (bottom of your pelvis), and the
saddle should be hard enough to support you there without you sinking in
enough to press anywhere else. It may take some experimentation to get this
right -- a lot of people go through several saddles to find one that works for
them (it's a lot like finding a comfortable shoe).

> The other is that I have a pain in the outside of my right foot in the
> muscles that stretch from the ball of my foot to the heel. I'm using
> clipless pedals with a mountain-style shoe so the cleat is embedded in
> the sole and I can walk in them.

There is no muscle there, it's a tendon. The first thing to try is to move the
cleat all the way back on the shoe, as far as it will go, this is the most
conservative starting position. Make sure your shoes aren't too tight, this
can cause a variety of confusing types of pain.

> Overall, this bike is much more comfortable to ride than my last one,
> which was a little too big. But Getting off the seat and pedaling is
> really akward, like I'm too close to the handlebars when I do that.

You might need a longer stem, that's easy enough to try.

"kyjelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hoping you guys can give me some help, I don't have a local shop
> that's all that great at things like fitting a bicycle to the rider.
>
> I've set up my bike according to all the guidelines I can find, and
> then adjusted the seat down and a little forward (just a smidge for
> both) to relieve some akward feelings in my legs. But two problems
> remain. One is that my nuts go start going numb after about 3 miles.
> The other is that I have a pain in the outside of my right foot in the
> muscles that stretch from the ball of my foot to the heel. I'm using
> clipless pedals with a mountain-style shoe so the cleat is embedded in
> the sole and I can walk in them.
>
> Overall, this bike is much more comfortable to ride than my last one,
> which was a little too big. But Getting off the seat and pedaling is
> really akward, like I'm too close to the handlebars when I do that.
>
> Any help is much appreciated!

Ask an experienced rider -at least eight or ten years- to go for a ride with
you and look at your position on the bike. If you are going numb in three
miles then your position is likely way off. My guess is you will eventually
discover that your seat is to far forward (falling forward and supporting to
much with your hands) which forces your weight onto your crotch instead of
your butt. If you are relatively new to cycling then your position will
change as your stretch out and your body adapts. Be open to your position
evolving.

Consider the following. Find your "balance point".
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html
Bill